The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 02, 2021, 06:56:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2021, 06:56:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: the dead afraid of the living? or: ouija ain't working.  (Read 11441 times)
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 17, 2007, 07:47:11 pm »

Okay, quick bit of background:

I have in my possession a cheap Ouija board that my ex roommate bought for a Halloween party. The thing seems to work, although I remain open to the idea that it is merely someone moving it subconsciously or something.

Anyway, here's the thing:

I am moving overseas. Until my flight leaves, I am staying with my mother, who is super intrigued by the board. So when she asked if we could play with it, I said yes and hauled it out of a box in the garage.

Aaaand nothing happened.

We tried it again a while later. Nada. And again. Ditto. We finally did a bit of pendulum work about WHY it wouldn't work - I have used Ouija boards with all sorts of people (in varying states of soberness, heh), and I don't think I've ever had it just repeatedly sit there. I mean, even if it just spews gobbledy gook it still moves. Anyway, the pendulum seemed to imply that dead people do not like my mother. That, in fact, they are a little scared of her.

My mother is affectionately referred to as 'the Angel of Death'. She's a geriatric nurse who, as morbid as it sounds, seems gifted with helping people die. So I'm wondering... do you think that might have something to do with it?

Has anyone had similiar experiences? As I said, I've never seen Parker Bros. brand necromancy fail repeatedly with the same person.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 17, 2007, 10:38:17 pm »

Anyway, the pendulum seemed to imply that dead people do not like my mother. That, in fact, they are a little scared of her.

This sounds like a reasonable explanation for why the board does not work for her.  I have no idea if it has anything to do with her profession, but I suppose it easily could.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 18, 2007, 06:45:21 am »

My mother is affectionately referred to as 'the Angel of Death'. She's a geriatric nurse who, as morbid as it sounds, seems gifted with helping people die. So I'm wondering... do you think that might have something to do with it?

Has anyone had similiar experiences? As I said, I've never seen Parker Bros. brand necromancy fail repeatedly with the same person.

I think the trouble with this is that we don't know anything as such about what happens when people die what is involved in a ouija board working, and personally I don't know how your mother's gift works... soo...  there could be all sorts of reasons.  Does your mother actively help people die, or does it just happen to reeptive parties in her presence?  Ie, active vs passive gift.  Does your mother know anything about whether she does anything beyond help people die?  Do they tend to pass on peacefully?

One thought occurs, but there's absolutely no evidence to back it: If your mother helps people pass on peacefully, perhaps ghosts just wouldn't last in her presence.  Maybe they'd pass on peacefully themselves, or the kind of people who hang around aren't interested in moving on.

Just a thought. <shrugs>

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Katherine
Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2007, 02:06:14 pm

Religion: My Own

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 18, 2007, 01:37:57 pm »

I can't get the Ouija board to work for me.   I was once trying to contact to a lost little boy, and the only response I got was "Leave us alone".  Maybe you caught them on a bad day. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:40:32 pm by Katherine, Reason: insert quote » Logged
violentsound
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 18, 2007, 01:46:26 pm »

Does your mother actively help people die, or does it just happen to reeptive parties in her presence?  Ie, active vs passive gift.  Does your mother know anything about whether she does anything beyond help people die?  Do they tend to pass on peacefully?

What usually seems to happen is that if a person is inform or really ill (or just plain older than god) and they're starting to die, my mother's presence seems to calm them so that they can let go and croak. It's like she removes the fear so that they go in peace. (She's not like, smothering them with pillows. *laughs*)

Sometimes she does this actively, but really I think it's mostly a passive ability that she's not completely conscious of - she's one of those people who just does things and never thinks to wonder how it works. (Until her eldest daughter pesters her mercilessly...)

One thought occurs, but there's absolutely no evidence to back it: If your mother helps people pass on peacefully, perhaps ghosts just wouldn't last in her presence.  Maybe they'd pass on peacefully themselves, or the kind of people who hang around aren't interested in moving on.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean, ghosts are people who don't want to go through the second death or whatever, yeah? So if my mom somehow unconsciously facilitates the process then it would make sense to avoid her like the plague if you wanted to stick around.

Maybe you caught them on a bad day. 

I would think that, but as I said, it was a repeated failure which is something I've never seen before. I mean, even if I get the usual "ooooOOOoooo u're going 2 die!" bullcrap I usually at least get something with everyone else I've tried the thing with. But yes, it's a possibility.

Hm. Thanks for your thoughts, guys!
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 18, 2007, 05:11:58 pm »

Ouija boards just creep me out.

Ana

Goth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 20, 2007, 11:40:36 am

Religion: witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 18, 2007, 05:21:28 pm »

I for one, don't believe that ouija boards raise the spirits of the 'dead'. Hollywood is to blame for that misconception.  The ouija board was produced in the early 19th century as a fun, fortune telling parlour game...that's all.

IMHO Grin

*Edited to add* For those of you that are 'still convinced' of it's powers, try using it 'solo' whilst blindfolded, and turn the board upside down.  Ask a reliable person to witness the experiment.  Chances are, the 'messages' will be totally 'incoherent.'

Just my twopennethworth Grin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 05:46:14 pm by Goth » Logged
feral
Apprentice
Last Login:April 11, 2009, 07:26:55 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 18, 2007, 07:08:27 pm »

Okay, quick bit of background:

I have in my possession a cheap Ouija board that my ex roommate bought for a Halloween party. The thing seems to work, although I remain open to the idea that it is merely someone moving it subconsciously or something.

Planchette systems of divination- including boards with letter or symbols and pointers (planchettes) and their 'letter tile and inverted wine glass' predecessors are just a tool after all- like any other tool of divination, what it does or you do with it is a matter of intention. Yeah, you might be influencing it, I think planchette systems can be the most easily influenced methods of divination so it's no wonder so many people think they get lots of results.

That doesn't mean it can't work when someone really lets go. Some people are better with some forms of divination than others.

I am moving overseas. Until my flight leaves, I am staying with my mother, who is super intrigued by the board. So when she asked if we could play with it, I said yes and hauled it out of a box in the garage.

Aaaand nothing happened.

We tried it again a while later. Nada. And again. Ditto. We finally did a bit of pendulum work about WHY it wouldn't work - I have used Ouija boards with all sorts of people (in varying states of soberness, heh), and I don't think I've ever had it just repeatedly sit there. I mean, even if it just spews gobbledy gook it still moves.

Have you talked to your mother about her state of mind going into it? It might not have anything to do with the source of info, be it the ether or a spirit.

Maybe the problem is that your mother wanted to 'play' with it. Playing with it isn't the same as really using the thing for divination. There are different states of mind to get into, and it's not the same for everyone.

violentsound
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 19, 2007, 03:43:43 am »

Maybe the problem is that your mother wanted to 'play' with it. Playing with it isn't the same as really using the thing for divination. There are different states of mind to get into, and it's not the same for everyone.

Possibly. I guess it just seems unlikely to me because I very rarely take Ouija seriosuly - usually if I use one I'm pretty drunk, for one thing. *laughs* I tend not to treat it as a serious divination tool. (Not to say it couldn't be used as such - I just never do so myself and the thing still works for me.)

*Edited to add* For those of you that are 'still convinced' of it's powers, try using it 'solo' whilst blindfolded, and turn the board upside down.  Ask a reliable person to witness the experiment.  Chances are, the 'messages' will be totally 'incoherent.'

I'm open to the idea that it's just the players moving the thing around, but I also remain open to the idea it could be dead guys or astral critters or what-have-you. I remain happily noncommital on the subject.

That said... I am so totally trying that experiment the next time I'm at a Halloween party and someone hauls one out.
Goth
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 19, 2007, 04:20:37 am »

I'm open to the idea that it's just the players moving the thing around, but I also remain open to the idea it could be dead guys or astral critters or what-have-you. I remain happily noncommital on the subject. 

While I'm not dismissing it's effectiveness as a divination tool [almost anything can be used as a divination tool...even a regular set of dice], I seriously doubt it's ability to raise the dead.

That said... I am so totally trying that experiment the next time I'm at a Halloween party and someone hauls one out.

Let us know how you got on  Wink

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: May 19, 2007, 07:54:11 am »

I seriously doubt it's ability to raise the dead.

*blinks*  Is this a UK/US language difference?  Because I read "raise the dead" and see "bring the dead back to life", which I don't think I've ever heard a Ouija board was supposed to do--just communicate with them.  But I know sometimes "raise" is, like, "get a response from"...  For clarity's sake, which did you mean?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: May 19, 2007, 08:19:18 am »

I haven't done this (and it would be pointless as the Ouija board doesn't work that well for me to begin with -- so no one would notice much difference), however, I have blindfolded a group of people who were very good with it and sat the board down after blindfolding them (so they would not know its orientation) and it still worked.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Goth
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 19, 2007, 10:36:16 am »

*blinks*  Is this a UK/US language difference?  Because I read "raise the dead" and see "bring the dead back to life", which I don't think I've ever heard a Ouija board was supposed to do--just communicate with them.  But I know sometimes "raise" is, like, "get a response from"...  For clarity's sake, which did you mean?

Raise:  To call forth, to summon, to evoke, to arouse, to establish communication with.

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=raise

That's exactly what I meant, when I said 'raise.' Cheesy

Maybe I should have said raise the 'spirits' of the dead LOL.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:40:21 am by Goth » Logged
Goth
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 19, 2007, 10:44:36 am »

however, I have blindfolded a group of people who were very good with it and sat the board down after blindfolding them (so they would not know its orientation) and it still worked.

Really?  Maybe you should get in touch with James Randi.  He's offering a million dollar reward to anyone that can 'prove' any paranormal occurance.

...I'm being totally serious here Undecided
Katherine
Apprentice
Last Login:December 29, 2007, 02:06:14 pm

Religion: My Own

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 19, 2007, 10:53:25 am »

Really?  Maybe you should get in touch with James Randi.  He's offering a million dollar reward to anyone that can 'prove' any paranormal occurance.

...I'm being totally serious here Undecided

If you have ever done any research about these people offering the reward.  Nothing will convince them that there is such a thing as psychic phenomenon of any kind.  No matter what is done.  They are to afraid of it.  It threaten their very existence. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)