The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 12:20:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 12:20:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: PCOS (and weight loss)  (Read 3913 times)
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 06, 2010, 09:33:21 am »

I've been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) for a few years now, but I suppose I've had it my whole life. It's one of, if not the, most common hormone problem for women - the last statistic I heard was that 5-10% of women have PCOS. Basically, there are tiny cysts in my ovaries that cause ridiculous amounts of (mostly benign, if annoying) havoc, including too much testosterone in my system, irregular menses, rampant acne, and my body's reluctance to part with even a single fat cell.

It's this last bit that's causing me the most angst - I've struggled with weight loss in vain my entire life, and I'm at my wit's end. When I had managed to lose weight, I felt a lot happier, my energy levels were up, and my periods finally mellowed out. Now that I've gained it back, I'm right back to where I started (and eying the rampant diabetes in my family with trepidation). I've started looking at the low GI diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_GI_Diet) enhanced with what I learned from Weight Watchers, but getting my hopes up again is iffy. Maintaining a perfect diet and going to the gym on a daily basis is basically what I need to lose weight (without help from drugs), and that's more than a bit difficult while at college.

So, anyone else have PCOS?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 06, 2010, 01:43:26 pm »

I've been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) for a few years now, but I suppose I've had it my whole life. It's one of, if not the, most common hormone problem for women - the last statistic I heard was that 5-10% of women have PCOS. Basically, there are tiny cysts in my ovaries that cause ridiculous amounts of (mostly benign, if annoying) havoc, including too much testosterone in my system, irregular menses, rampant acne, and my body's reluctance to part with even a single fat cell.

It's this last bit that's causing me the most angst - I've struggled with weight loss in vain my entire life, and I'm at my wit's end. When I had managed to lose weight, I felt a lot happier, my energy levels were up, and my periods finally mellowed out. Now that I've gained it back, I'm right back to where I started (and eying the rampant diabetes in my family with trepidation). I've started looking at the low GI diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_GI_Diet) enhanced with what I learned from Weight Watchers, but getting my hopes up again is iffy. Maintaining a perfect diet and going to the gym on a daily basis is basically what I need to lose weight (without help from drugs), and that's more than a bit difficult while at college.

Oh, yes! This bloody thing nearly killed me, and I do mean that literally. I've since been sterilised and had the lining of my womb burned away which does seem to have calmed things down a bit, but I don't recommend any of that unless you are sure you either don't want any kids, or you don't want any more of them.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 06, 2010, 02:01:13 pm »

Oh, yes! This bloody thing nearly killed me, and I do mean that literally. I've since been sterilised and had the lining of my womb burned away which does seem to have calmed things down a bit, but I don't recommend any of that unless you are sure you either don't want any kids, or you don't want any more of them.

I'm positive that I don't want biological children, but my symptoms don't seem to be nearly that severe (yet). Was your PCOS always that severe? How long have you been diagnosed with it?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 06, 2010, 02:08:23 pm »

I'm positive that I don't want biological children, but my symptoms don't seem to be nearly that severe (yet). Was your PCOS always that severe? How long have you been diagnosed with it?

I was diagnosed in 2000. I'd had a couple of minor cysts removed, but within 6 weeks another grew to the size of a satsuma and ruptured. I was rushed in and operated on immediately and spent nearly 3 weeks in hospital. After that I was scanned every few weeks for 12 months. Now I have regular check ups and they keep having to remove smaller cysts just to be sure it doesn't happen again. It's never fun. I have a lovely scar on my bikini line and my belly button has so many scars, it looks like a miniature chess board! Undecided

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Ezia
Last Login:February 11, 2011, 06:34:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 11, 2011, 05:19:40 pm »

*waves*
I got diagnosed with it in August last year (I was 19; 20 now). I've been on the pill since then, which is regulating my periods quite nicely, although it hasn't helped with the hirsutism any (I know I should give it a while, but being a hirsute teenager/twentysomething does not do anything for one's self-esteem!).

I've been struggling with my weight as well, and I'm pretty much at my wits' end with it! I suffer from ME as well, so I have pretty debilitating chronic fatigue to deal with as well as PCOS (and depression and anxiety, although they're nowhere near as bad as they were a couple of years ago...thanks fluoxetine/yoga/family/etc!). I rarely have enough energy to exercise, and often don't have enough energy to do anything at all. I've altered my diet and am doing pretty well with that, but the weight is just not coming off. I've put on about 40lbs in three years...I'm 5'10", so it's not hugely noticeable to others, but it very much is to me. I want to give my sixteen-year-old self a thump for thinking she was so fat with a BMI of 22! Oh yeah, and my BMI is 29, so I'm overweight but not obese, meaning my doctor says she can't help me. I'm finding it really difficult, basically.

Also, I understand about the difficulty of weight control at college! Eating healthfully can prove pretty difficult on my super-low budget.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: February 12, 2011, 10:13:42 am »

I don't, so I've been refraining from jumping in with what might come across as well-meaning but clueless intrusiveness/preachiness, but Ezia's revival of the thread nudged me.  Those of you posting here should probably check out, if you haven't already, the discussion in Catherine's thread on thyroid issues - another endocrinal condition that, like PCOS, can cause weight gain.  While some of what's there won't apply, quite a bit will.

And I can natter endlessly about Having Self-Esteem While Fat - in fact, I may just start a thread about that (so as not to derail the PCOS discussion, and so's those who aren't following this thread can find it), but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 12, 2011, 03:56:54 pm »

And I can natter endlessly about Having Self-Esteem While Fat - in fact, I may just start a thread about that (so as not to derail the PCOS discussion, and so's those who aren't following this thread can find it), but that'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Please do! One of the big problems I've been facing with becoming healthier is that I have so many self-esteem hangups I have to battle with first. I'd love to have a discussion about that.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: February 13, 2011, 03:06:19 pm »

Please do! One of the big problems I've been facing with becoming healthier is that I have so many self-esteem hangups I have to battle with first. I'd love to have a discussion about that.
And here it is.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)