The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 04, 2020, 05:15:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2020, 05:15:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your beliefs/ideas about afterlife  (Read 6351 times)
gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Fálachus, Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 04, 2010, 02:06:09 pm »

I was wondering about the different paths and concepts of the Afterlife, and what you believe happens to people NOT on that path. (This is primarily about beliefs other than reincarnation, not that I mind hearing about that either.  Smiley)

Do you think that there are several different afterlife realms - that Christians go to the Christian Heaven or Hell, that Heathens will go to Valhalla, Niflheim, etc? Do you believe that there is one afterlife for everyone -- for instance, that Christians and others will go to the Heathen realms (sorted according to how they lived and died) *OR* that there's only one afterlife and each paths simply describe/envision it as best they can through their lens?

Or other concept that I haven't touched on?

Tir Na nOg might be a realm of the dead, but the jourey are still out on that one. I tend to favour the notion that I'll go where my ancestors have gone before me, essentially to tech duinn. I have no certainty on that mind you, its a possibility, as is oblivion. It really has no bearing on me living my life here and now though, the only thing I am certain of is that everyone eventually dies, what counts is what you do in the meantime.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

Have a gander at my blog: Three Shouts on a Hilltop

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dance2MothersRythm
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 09, 2010, 07:36:02 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 23, 2010, 08:36:57 pm »

I was wondering about the different paths and concepts of the Afterlife, and what you believe happens to people NOT on that path. (This is primarily about beliefs other than reincarnation, not that I mind hearing about that either.  Smiley)

Perhaps this has already kinda been said but, i believe everyone goes to the afterlife, and that that is a happy and restful place where all the Gods/esses reside (i mean all of them from other religions too) and everyone sort of gathers and does there own thing and reviews the lessons they just learned and then reincarnates into another body/life or stays and becomes a sort of spirit guide for the living. don't believe i will lose the friends and family i have here who do not believe the same thing i do, i just think that, the afterlife for them may appear different than it does for me, but still we'll all be together. I believe I'll get to meet family i never got the chance to meet in this life.
One thing i am curious about though is the whole ghosts thing...i believe in ghosts, totally but i wonder how someone can be a ghost and at the same time be able to reincarnate? or maybe they're a ghost for a while and they do whatever (haunt the family  Wink ) and then move on an cease to be ghosts?
Any ideas?
But yeh, that's my idea of things Smiley
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 23, 2010, 11:05:43 pm »

My theory about ghosts is that energetically, we leave imprints behind, like footprints on a beach. Those footprints aren't our feet, but our passing was marked, physically, for a certain period of time. I think that at least some spirits we call ghosts are "footprints" of people who otherwise have passed on.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: June 24, 2010, 03:12:32 am »

One thing i am curious about though is the whole ghosts thing...i believe in ghosts, totally but i wonder how someone can be a ghost and at the same time be able to reincarnate? or maybe they're a ghost for a while and they do whatever (haunt the family  Wink ) and then move on an cease to be ghosts?
Any ideas?

You have inconsistent beliefs?  It happens.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: July 09, 2010, 11:19:06 am »

My theory about ghosts is that energetically, we leave imprints behind, like footprints on a beach. Those footprints aren't our feet, but our passing was marked, physically, for a certain period of time. I think that at least some spirits we call ghosts are "footprints" of people who otherwise have passed on.

This is a really cool (and logical) concept!

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: July 09, 2010, 12:45:08 pm »

Ultimately nature wastes nothing. I hope I make good fertilizer, and intend to do what I can to insure that.

As for the intangible, don't know (honestly, can't know) but that's that's where faith comes in: I trust my gods to get me where I'm supposed to go, or at least point me in the right direction.

Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: July 10, 2010, 12:04:14 am »

Do you think that there are several different afterlife realms - that Christians go to the Christian Heaven or Hell, that Heathens will go to Valhalla, Niflheim, etc? Do you believe that there is one afterlife for everyone -- for instance, that Christians and others will go to the Heathen realms (sorted according to how they lived and died) *OR* that there's only one afterlife and each paths simply describe/envision it as best they can through their lens?

I don't think the same thing happens to everyone, like it seems to me that some souls just do not reincarnate, some do.  I noticed that what happens to a soul is what it expects to have happen.  For example, if a Christian expects there to be a heaven, there will be one.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #22: July 10, 2010, 01:37:25 am »

This is a really cool (and logical) concept!

Thanks. Cheesy I'm sure I didn't come up with it myself, but it's the idea that meshes most easily with what I already believe.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Nomad of Nowhere
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2012, 01:48:26 am

Religion: Slavic Polytheist

Gdje Yarilo hodi, tu vam polje rodi.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #23: July 10, 2010, 02:51:29 am »

I think that any speculation I make on this matter could easily be wrong. However, I do believe in isolate cells in the afterlife, such as Valhalla, Garo Demana, and Elysium. I do believe in transmigration of the soul into other living things as well though, or the lingering of a shade. It is an old folk belief of the Baltic that if someone dies violently before the time allotted to them by fate, they return in some other form to live out the remainder of their time, and I believe this.

To reach rai, or paradise, one must climb the glass mountain, and those who have lived well will succeed whereas the others will slide down the smooth surfacts of the mountain. Other tales say there is a bridge to the mountain that the evil will always fall from, but the idea is the same. I believe those who fall will wind up on Earth again, or in the underworld where the dragon Veles awaits, very reminiscent of the Norse dragon Nidhoggr who sucks the corpses of "wolfish murderers" in Hel.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 22, 2020, 09:45:42 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: July 10, 2010, 09:33:34 am »

I noticed that what happens to a soul is what it expects to have happen.
And how did you notice this?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: July 10, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »

And how did you notice this?

Sunflower

I used to see lots of ghosts as a kid, and now I still see them from time to time.  Some were imprints, some were not, I was able to tell based on how they interacted with me, if they could.  I noticed that the non-imprint dead tended to make their own reality, about what they expected to see, etc.  Later on when I started to contact dead family members, the catholic ones gave me a very...catholic view of what happens.  Like seeing Jesus, and judgment, and whole works.  The non catholic/christian ones did not have this experience.  I'm still not sure about a lot of it, but I have come to believe that what happens is a bit more complicated than just simple, you die, go here, and this happens.
RootRealm
Journeyman
Last Login:August 21, 2010, 07:37:59 am

Religion: Hermetic Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: July 15, 2010, 10:29:32 pm »

I believe that the soul endures after the body perishes, and that it lives on as a unique individual soul, built upon what foundation was achieved in this mortal life.  I don't believe that there are separate places for different religions.  That would give far, far too much validity to mere words, and little picky trivial distinctions that our "young" human minds have fashioned, but which are ridiculous to those who live in realms far more real than anything mere language and definitions can point to.  Our religious paths are our various efforts to grow (or, for some, not to grow but to stagnate...), and growth in the end is the same phenomenon, regardless in what manner it's accomplished, I believe.   I don't believe in reincarnation, because that removes dignity from one whole and unique human life, the idea that you're going to be more than one person or being.  But I could be wrong about that.

If you live according to an example, you live the life of that example.  There is only one way and that is your way.  You seek the path? I warn you away from my own.  May each go his own way....  ---Carl Jung

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)