The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 18, 2021, 09:47:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2021, 09:47:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Human uniqueness?  (Read 1672 times)
Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am
United States United States

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 07, 2010, 08:31:43 pm »

A book I'm reading - actually for light reading, it wasn't meant to supplement my spiritual/religious research at all - brings up an interesting point and I'm curious where others stand on it. It discusses Yogis and how "true Yogis" view the world, all of it, as a manifestation of "God." (term used loosely here) Everything is divine, but humans are unique, "special," because only as a human can "God-realization" occur. Other forms of life do not have this opportunity.

This is something with which I fundamentally disagree. Personally I find nothing "special" about humans and I do not hold a view in which humans are above other forms of life. In an article somewhere (about dolphin communication), a researcher said, "It's only due to our lack of knowledge that humans remain this exclusive species." I can't for the life of me remember her name, but that resonates very deeply within me.

So...thoughts?

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 07, 2010, 09:55:52 pm »

Everything is divine, but humans are unique, "special," because only as a human can "God-realization" occur. Other forms of life do not have this opportunity.

I'm not sure what "God-realization" means in this context; is the author of this book saying that everything is divine but only human beings are aware of their divinity?  If so, I think I can see what he/she is getting at: human beings have a tendency toward self-examination that I haven't noticed in other species, at least not to the same extent.  I wouldn't call this "unawareness", though.  It seems to me that there is awareness of divinity in non-human spirits (animals, plants, things) but a lot of the time they're too busy being manifestly divine to think much about how their divinity is manifesting. 

Betty

Pythuna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 12:59:17 pm

Religion: Panentheism

Wherever you go, there you are.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 08, 2010, 02:03:36 am »

A book I'm reading - actually for light reading, it wasn't meant to supplement my spiritual/religious research at all - brings up an interesting point and I'm curious where others stand on it. It discusses Yogis and how "true Yogis" view the world, all of it, as a manifestation of "God." (term used loosely here) Everything is divine, but humans are unique, "special," because only as a human can "God-realization" occur. Other forms of life do not have this opportunity.

This is something with which I fundamentally disagree. Personally I find nothing "special" about humans and I do not hold a view in which humans are above other forms of life. In an article somewhere (about dolphin communication), a researcher said, "It's only due to our lack of knowledge that humans remain this exclusive species." I can't for the life of me remember her name, but that resonates very deeply within me.

So...thoughts?

I'm a panentheist, so I do believe everything is a manifestation of God.   I also believe that only humans can manifest that part of God that is human.  But I also believe that only dolphins can manifest that part of God that is dolphin, and that only rocks can manifest that part of God that is rock, etc.

We're exclusive in a human sort of way, but so is fungus in a fungus sort of way.

Me ka pono~
Pythuna

“The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
-- Albert Einstein
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 08, 2010, 08:29:32 am »

Everything is divine, but humans are unique, "special," because only as a human can "God-realization" occur. Other forms of life do not have this opportunity.

Even assuming that "everything is divine" is true, how do we know this "God-realization" experience is unique to humans.  After all, we know of other self-aware, thinking, communicating species (dolphins and whales anyone) so it is hard to KNOW whether or not this particular experience is unique to humans or not.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 08, 2010, 11:31:05 pm »

Oh, believe me. My dog knows She is God. People usually only give credit for this to humans and cats... but Chelsie's known She is God since we brought Her home.

Seriously, though... I think a lot of times people classify themselves as outside of nature entirely, both people who think we are somehow above nature, and those who think we're unnatural and nothing human-made is capable of being natural. I think we'd like to think that we are somehow special and unique but we haven't quite grown into that exalted position yet.

sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 10, 2010, 11:18:51 am »

Seriously, though... I think a lot of times people classify themselves as outside of nature entirely, both people who think we are somehow above nature, and those who think we're unnatural and nothing human-made is capable of being natural.

I totally agree with this. Whenever people say something like, "don't you just love nature?" I think, "... I am nature. We all are." It seems like people view humans as some kind of unnatural alien to this planet instead of seeing us as a species that has evolved and adapted just like other species'. Our houses are a part of our habitat, just like a bird's nest. (Granted, ours tend to be more destructive to our habitat, but hey, we're big mammals Tongue ). We are destroying our habitat just like any overpopulated species, our adaptations have just made us very effective at that, unfortunately.  Undecided

I use to think that humans were unique, but now I think that we are only unique in the way that we do things. We see the world through language, so we think that anything that can't speak back to us is unintelligent. We're good at using tools, so we view anything that doesn't as primitive. I actually think we might be handicapped as far as understanding things beyond the range of our five senses, though. Just my two cents. Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)