The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 08:42:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 08:42:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brigit?  (Read 6124 times)
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 09, 2010, 06:16:12 pm »

I know there are a thousand and one threads about Her here in TC, and I have read some of them, but I want to write what happened and hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I should start by saying that I never felt any attraction for the Celtic cultures or myths. I was never particularly interested in Brigit either, since as far as I know, I'm not interested in the things that are Her areas of influence (poetry, healing).

Just a few days ago I responded to a thread here saying that I don't celebrate Imbolc. After that, I started having a small interest in Her, nothing out of the ordinary, I usually get passing interests in various gods/goddesses, read a little about them and that's it. I didn't think this time it would be anything different. Then She started popping up in a couple of places, but I thought those were just coincidences.

Today I was thinking about a problem I'm having, and I lit a white candle asking for guidance. Then I tried to meditate, but I fell asleep. When I woke up, I went to my bookshelf, grabbed a book which has information about world mythologies and opened it in a random page. The first thing my eyes saw was "Brigit". It was the subtitle that marked Her description. And I had what I call a "chan!" moment, it was like a brick falling over my head. First thing that came to my mind was that everything suddenly makes sense. I looked at the candle I had lit and felt it was for Her, and that all this time I've been praying to Her without knowing it, whenever I didn't address a particular god/dess (I always thank "my gods and goddesses" without addressing anyone in particular when something good happens to me and before I sleep).

Now, I know I may have been completely misguided and this could just be my brain playing tricks on me (that wouldn't surprise me), since the way I was going before today was completely different. Anyway, I have some questions:

-Is it possible that Brigit is trying to speak to me this way? Or in other words, does She normally do these kinds of things to approach people?
-Is She a motherly goddess? (This question is related to the way I was headed until today.)
-What are the traditional texts that speak about Her?
-What is the right way to approach Her? (obviously respectfully, but how does She like to be addressed?)
-How do you honor Her? What offerings does She like?
-How do you write Her name (Brigit, Brigid, Brighid...)?

Ok, that's it for now. The power will be gone any minute (we are having a wind storm), so I'll just post this. Thanks in advance for any responses. Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 09, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »

I've never had much contact with this deity, but her name does have several regional variations, including Brigid, Brigid, Brighid, Bride, etc. There's no right or wrong way to spell her name (unless you're looking at a specific cultural representation of her), so go with what feels best to you.

Congrats on getting thwapped. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 09, 2010, 06:29:23 pm »

I'm sure there are others who know her better and can more accurately answer your questions, but I just wanted to let you know that I was giggling reading your post because what you are describing is *so* Brighid!  She's a stubborn one, and once she decides you are hers, yes, she will hit you over the head with a brick if that's what it takes to make you realize it.

Yes, she is definitely associated with mothering.  Saint Brighid was rumored to have been Mary's midwife.  I personally feel that she was present and a great comfort during my labors with my children, as well as those parenting moments where I'm just lost and at my wit's end.  However, some people don't "get" the mothering vibe from her, and that's fine too.  

In my experience, she doesn't require much formality in the way I speak to her.  I pray to her and ask her to watch over and protect my home and hearth, my children, my livestock.  I honor her through keeping the flame during my cill shifts, and doing my best in the aspects of my life that I feel she governs (mothering my children, keeping my home, caring for my animals).  I've found that she does like attention, and likes time devoted to her.  If I'm lacking in my time of beings still and talking to her, she will let me know.  She also likes creativity and I do my best to devote some time to that as well.  Sometimes I think she insists on this because she knows that that time to myself, doing something just for myself, is exactly what I need to stay sane so that I can attend to my other duties.  

Brighid has always spoken to me, even as a young person.  When I was choosing my confirmation name (raised Catholic) I never considered any name other than hers.  And it didn't make any sense to me then.  I just chose that name, literally, out of the blue.  I knew nothing really about her, it was like it just popped into my head.  Then upon researching, I felt even more sure that that was the name I should take.  I feel that was her calling me even at that young age.  She is definitely persistent, and not terribly subtle. Smiley
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 09, 2010, 06:55:41 pm »

-Is it possible that Brigit is trying to speak to me this way? Or in other words, does She normally do these kinds of things to approach people?
-Is She a motherly goddess? (This question is related to the way I was headed until today.)
-What is the right way to approach Her? (obviously respectfully, but how does She like to be addressed?)
-How do you honor Her? What offerings does She like?

If you've read many of the threads here about Brighid, you'll know I'm a big fan.   Wink  So I'll try to address your questions as well as I can.

1.  Yes.  In my experience, She is often very gentle about reaching out to potential dedicants (for want of a better word).  She often is in your life before you realize it, but when you look back, you see all the little hints.  And She's ALWAYS there when you really need Her.  I've posted my own journey to Brighid here over the last few years, so you can read it if you want to, and I'm sure others will also chime in with their own stories.  But I think you'll find that this kind of approach is pretty typical of Brighid.

2.  I'm not sure what you mean by "motherly".  Are you asking if Brighid was originally worshipped as a "mother goddess"?  If so, we don't actually know, since the Celtic sources from the Iron and Bronze Ages are so thin.  It's certainly possible.  However, based on the lore we do have, it seems She was more of a "patron" type for specific areas, like healing, poetry (which I, personally interpret as learning and wisdom, given who the poets were in the society), and smithcraft (which I interpret as "creativity" and "craft work" of all kinds, not just metal smithing).  At least, that's what we have from the EXTREMELY limited references to Brighid in the texts.  My personal interpretation of Her areas of patronage also includes social justice and law, based on a rather obscure reference in a text.

If you're asking if Brighid has a "motherly" character or is "maternal" toward Her people, then I'd have to say yes.  Keep in mind that this is just my experience.  While I don't consider myself Her "child", exactly, I do feel that She can be motherly when the situation warrants it.

3.  There actually are very few references to Brighid in the extant lore.  See this thread (http://community.livejournal.com/cr_r/225986.html) on the LJ CR_R forum.

You might also want to check out TC's Cauldron Cill SIG, which includes a resource list with tons of links to web resources on Brighid, as well as book recommendations.  See this thread for starters:  http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=401.0.

4 and 5.  In my experience, She is very easily approached.  Flame and dairy are traditional offerings, but, really, go with your instincts.  Personally, I light an oil lamp for Her every evening, in addition to various other things I do.  Just talk to Her and see what kinds of responses you get.  I also use a meditation technique called Active Imagination, which I've found effective at times.

6.  Personally, I use "Brighid" to refer to the goddess and "Brigit" to refer to the saint, but I don't really have a solid reason for that.  You'll see tons of variety.  Lately, I've been thinking more about "Brig" -- not sure why.  As for pronunciation, in my head, it's something like "Vreedj".  When I talk to people IRL who know what I'm talking about, I usually say something like "Breed".  With people who don't know, I say "Bridge-id".

I hope this has helped.  I'm sure other Brighid followers will join in.  In the meantime, please feel free to post more questions as they come to you.

~MI

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 09, 2010, 09:48:33 pm »

Congrats on getting thwapped. Smiley

Thank you! (I think... Cheesy) Apparently I'm unable to stick to one pantheon, lol.

Thanks for the comment on Her name too. Smiley

Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 09, 2010, 10:02:34 pm »

I'm sure there are others who know her better and can more accurately answer your questions, but I just wanted to let you know that I was giggling reading your post because what you are describing is *so* Brighid!  She's a stubborn one, and once she decides you are hers, yes, she will hit you over the head with a brick if that's what it takes to make you realize it.

Really? Cheesy It's a little weird for me to have something like this happening all of a sudden. I'm not sure if I'm *hers*, but I think so many coincidences can't be only coincidences, and the feelings I got were strong.

Yes, she is definitely associated with mothering.  Saint Brighid was rumored to have been Mary's midwife.  I personally feel that she was present and a great comfort during my labors with my children, as well as those parenting moments where I'm just lost and at my wit's end.  However, some people don't "get" the mothering vibe from her, and that's fine too.

Good. I was wondering about this because my researches were guiding me to some sort of mother goddess. I did get some motherly feelings from Her today.

In my experience, she doesn't require much formality in the way I speak to her.  I pray to her and ask her to watch over and protect my home and hearth, my children, my livestock.  I honor her through keeping the flame during my cill shifts, and doing my best in the aspects of my life that I feel she governs (mothering my children, keeping my home, caring for my animals).  I've found that she does like attention, and likes time devoted to her.  If I'm lacking in my time of beings still and talking to her, she will let me know.  She also likes creativity and I do my best to devote some time to that as well.  Sometimes I think she insists on this because she knows that that time to myself, doing something just for myself, is exactly what I need to stay sane so that I can attend to my other duties.

I didn't know She had associations with livestock. Thanks for your answer and for telling me about your experiences with Her! Smiley

Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 09, 2010, 10:31:00 pm »

If you've read many of the threads here about Brighid, you'll know I'm a big fan.   Wink  So I'll try to address your questions as well as I can.

Yes, I know. Smiley I was hoping you would answer me.

1.  Yes.  In my experience, She is often very gentle about reaching out to potential dedicants (for want of a better word).  She often is in your life before you realize it, but when you look back, you see all the little hints.  And She's ALWAYS there when you really need Her.  I've posted my own journey to Brighid here over the last few years, so you can read it if you want to, and I'm sure others will also chime in with their own stories.  But I think you'll find that this kind of approach is pretty typical of Brighid.

After I posted, I kept on thinking about these last days and I saw some other things that I think could come from Her, "all the little hints". Cheesy I just hope I don't disappoint Her. I intend to read all of the threads about Her that I find here in TC (the ones I haven't read yet).

2.  I'm not sure what you mean by "motherly".  Are you asking if Brighid was originally worshipped as a "mother goddess"?  If so, we don't actually know, since the Celtic sources from the Iron and Bronze Ages are so thin.  It's certainly possible.  However, based on the lore we do have, it seems She was more of a "patron" type for specific areas, like healing, poetry (which I, personally interpret as learning and wisdom, given who the poets were in the society), and smithcraft (which I interpret as "creativity" and "craft work" of all kinds, not just metal smithing).  At least, that's what we have from the EXTREMELY limited references to Brighid in the texts.  My personal interpretation of Her areas of patronage also includes social justice and law, based on a rather obscure reference in a text.

If you're asking if Brighid has a "motherly" character or is "maternal" toward Her people, then I'd have to say yes.  Keep in mind that this is just my experience.  While I don't consider myself Her "child", exactly, I do feel that She can be motherly when the situation warrants it.

I meant it in both senses. Like I said to folksymama, I got some motherly feelings from Her, and I wanted to know if that is something normal (if that's Her character) and also if She's described that way in the lore. Even if She's not a "mother goddess", I think I'm on the right track.

Thanks for commenting your interpretations of Her areas of influence. I don't write poetry, but learning is something I enjoy, and even if I'm not very creative, I like to do some crafts every now and then (I love cross stitching when I have free time, and I have also decorated a couple of things with the technique of decoupage).

3.  There actually are very few references to Brighid in the extant lore.  See this thread (http://community.livejournal.com/cr_r/225986.html) on the LJ CR_R forum.

You might also want to check out TC's Cauldron Cill SIG, which includes a resource list with tons of links to web resources on Brighid, as well as book recommendations.  See this thread for starters:  http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=401.0.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

4 and 5.  In my experience, She is very easily approached.  Flame and dairy are traditional offerings, but, really, go with your instincts.  Personally, I light an oil lamp for Her every evening, in addition to various other things I do.  Just talk to Her and see what kinds of responses you get.  I also use a meditation technique called Active Imagination, which I've found effective at times.

I never heard of Active Imagination. A quick google search gives me some Jung related work. Is that what you are talking about?

6.  Personally, I use "Brighid" to refer to the goddess and "Brigit" to refer to the saint, but I don't really have a solid reason for that.  You'll see tons of variety.  Lately, I've been thinking more about "Brig" -- not sure why.  As for pronunciation, in my head, it's something like "Vreedj".  When I talk to people IRL who know what I'm talking about, I usually say something like "Breed".  With people who don't know, I say "Bridge-id".

I hope this has helped.  I'm sure other Brighid followers will join in.  In the meantime, please feel free to post more questions as they come to you.

Thanks for all the info, MI! Smiley

I have another question (for whoever wants to answer it): is Brigid a triple goddess? I've seen many images of Her where She seems to have three aspects or be three women.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: February 09, 2010, 11:49:11 pm »

I meant it in both senses. Like I said to folksymama, I got some motherly feelings from Her, and I wanted to know if that is something normal (if that's Her character) and also if She's described that way in the lore. Even if She's not a "mother goddess", I think I'm on the right track.
*snip*
Thanks for commenting your interpretations of Her areas of influence. I don't write poetry, but learning is something I enjoy, and even if I'm not very creative, I like to do some crafts every now and then (I love cross stitching when I have free time, and I have also decorated a couple of things with the technique of decoupage).
*snip*
I never heard of Active Imagination. A quick google search gives me some Jung related work. Is that what you are talking about?
*snip*
I have another question (for whoever wants to answer it): is Brigid a triple goddess? I've seen many images of Her where She seems to have three aspects or be three women.

I've snipped your quote above to zero in on the specific questions I'm hoping to respond to.

Mother goddess:  Just to be clear, although Brighid is not definitively described in the lore as a "mother goddess", She IS a mother in at least one story.  In one (Cath Maige Turied, or The Second Battle of Mag Tuired, http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/cmt/cmteng.htm, see sections124-5) She is the mother of Ruadan, and when he's killed in battle, She keens for him -- the first keening heard in Ireland.

Note that the CMT was compiled by medieval writers who were trying to fit the various (and probably conflicting and confusing) pre-Chritian stories into some kind of coherent and acceptable context, so they may well have taken some creative license.

I have also variously seen Brighid referred to as the mother of three (other) sons, as the same entity as Danu (the "mother goddess" of the TDD), etc.  It's very confusing.  That might be because the name "Brighid" is derived from "Brig", which means "High One" or "Exalted One", and so is actually a *title* rather than a *proper name*.  So it's quite possible that many goddesses were referred to by the title "Brig", causing confusion, in addition to the creative license issue mentioned above.

Areas of influence:  One of the most familier references to Her is the Sanas Cormaic (Cormac's Glossary), where She is described as the daughter of the Dagda and the goddess venerated by poets, and as having two sisters both named Brighid.  One sister was concerned with healing and the other with smithcraft.  This is where we get the threefold areas of influence.

Her agricultural associations come first from the Lebor Gabala, in which She is described as having as pets two oxen and the king of swines.  The animals were said to cry out when rapine was commited in the land, suggesting Her associations with fertility and sovereignty, as well as domestic animals/livestock.  Additional support for this association comes from many of the stories about the saint, who was definitely associated with livestock.

IMHO, She does not require "Her people" to be proficient in all of Her areas of influence.  However, if you look, you'll likely find important aspects of your life involved in each of them.  F'ex, I'm not great at crafts, but I'm a lighting designer.  I'm not a doctor, but I have health issues and I'm learning (the hard way  Wink ) that I need to make room in my life for healing.  Things like that.  We're not all poets, healers, and smiths by a long shot!  Cheesy

Also, as I mentioned, I have a theory that She is also strongly concerned with the areas of law and social justice, which I see as being one way of combining the original three areas.  But that's just me.  Smiley

Active Imagination: Yes, it's based on Jung's work.  I have a book (which I can't seem to find right now  Undecided ) that helped me understand how to approach it, but I think the same info is probably available on the web.

Triple goddess:  I touched on this above.  Yes, She is considered a triple goddess.  Note, though, that in the Celtic framework, this is NOT a Maiden-Mother-Crone model.  I've seen Brighid equated with the "Maiden", but that's definitely not based on true Celtic outlook.

Hope this helps!  As you might have noticed, Brighid is one of my favorite subjects.  Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 10, 2010, 05:08:03 am »

She is the mother of Ruadan, and when he's killed in battle, She keens for him -- the first keening heard in Ireland.

(Emphasis mine.)

*gets smacked with lightbulb*

This clears up something that I'd been wondering about Her. I was listening to my Battlestar Galactica soundtrack, and there are songs that have a sort of keening element to them. I felt I should add them to my playlist for Her, but could not figure out why.

Thank you. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
manwitch
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 10, 2010, 08:20:05 am

Religion: Brighideach Greenwitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 10, 2010, 07:46:19 am »

I have also variously seen Brighid referred to as the mother of three (other) sons, as the same entity as Danu (the "mother goddess" of the TDD), etc.  It's very confusing.  That might be because the name "Brighid" is derived from "Brig", which means "High One" or "Exalted One", and so is actually a *title* rather than a *proper name*.  So it's quite possible that many goddesses were referred to by the title "Brig", causing confusion, in addition to the creative license issue mentioned above.

This may not be how most of the polytheistic CR books say it to be, but there are many diehard monopantheistic Brigidines who believe this:

In some monopantheistic (all gods are archetypes of the One) Brigidine faiths, Brighid is a title of Danu.  Danu is the Mother of all Creation, the Creator, the Great Mother, who has many jobs and titles and archetypes.  The 3 most important archetypes / jobs of Danu were each given the title "Most High" or similar, now known in modern English "Brighid".  So there were 3 Brighids, all of whom were titles / archetypes of Danu, even though Danu has many other titles / archetypes.  By the time of the Catholic conquest of Erin, these 3 Brighids had long been combined into one archetype, not 3.  Over time, many of the other jobs and archetypes of Danu have been included into Brighid, so much so that many people feel that there is no difference anymore between Brighid and Danu.  They are one in the same in many people's minds.  Especially during the last couple hundred years of Irish Catholicism.  In many people's minds, even all of the charactistics of Mary are now given to Brighid, and to many, Brighid is just another name of Danu.

Just curiosity speaking, and I have nothing against them (I'm just monopantheist born and raised), but I wonder how hardcore poly CR's explain how a huge amount of them associate Danu's "traditional" sacred colors of green, blue / purple, and white with Brighid, instead of the Brighid's "traditional" red and white.  Or Morrigan's "traditional" colors of black and red.  Or that many people combine the colors in a mixture of blue / purple, red, and white, and sometimes black.  And sometimes also add yellow / orange / gold.  I don't know if that last color is "traditionally" a color of either Danu, Brighid, or Morrigan, but you're sure to find it on many Brigidine's list of sacred colors.  (It also might be surprising to go into an Irish Catholic church dedicated to St. Brigid and notice what colors the candles are.)

So depending upon how you look at it, Brighid is usually either very much a mother goddess, or is just a goddess who was also a mother.

Yes, it's her very not uncommon way to approach new followers.  Once she has you, she doesn't let go, and why would you want her to?  Embrace her, and you'll probably be much happier for it.

See above.

Not much.  Mostly lore passed onto children from adults.  And some new CR books.

I use Brighid usually, but I'm a monopantheist goddess worshiper who believes in the Divine Mother, so I also sometimes call her Mother.

If you're calling on "my gods and goddesses" and only a single entity ever shows up, you might be a monopantheist.  I'm not trying to prosthelytize, just saying.  See above.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:49:43 am by manwitch » Logged

Life is magic, magic is life, and the Divine is love.
Goddess bless.
Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 10, 2010, 09:52:10 am »

Ah, yes, I read yesterday (in the book I have) that She is sometimes called Danu, and I was a little confused, because I always thought They were two different goddesses.

Areas of influence:  One of the most familier references to Her is the Sanas Cormaic (Cormac's Glossary), where She is described as the daughter of the Dagda and the goddess venerated by poets, and as having two sisters both named Brighid.  One sister was concerned with healing and the other with smithcraft.  This is where we get the threefold areas of influence.
---snip---
Triple goddess:  I touched on this above.  Yes, She is considered a triple goddess.  Note, though, that in the Celtic framework, this is NOT a Maiden-Mother-Crone model.  I've seen Brighid equated with the "Maiden", but that's definitely not based on true Celtic outlook.

This makes sense, the images I found had three goddesses the same age, not MMC. Like triplets (I think that's the word for three kids that are born at the same time). I think that could be the representation of Brigid as three sisters?

IMHO, She does not require "Her people" to be proficient in all of Her areas of influence.  However, if you look, you'll likely find important aspects of your life involved in each of them.  F'ex, I'm not great at crafts, but I'm a lighting designer.  I'm not a doctor, but I have health issues and I'm learning (the hard way  Wink ) that I need to make room in my life for healing.  Things like that.  We're not all poets, healers, and smiths by a long shot!  Cheesy

You are right about this. I was thinking yesterday that maybe stretching a bit Her areas of influence I could fit being a teacher. My proffessors use to say that to be a teacher you have to be very creative (and I agree), and they say teaching is a form of art. And I totally understand the health issues thing. I have some problems myself and I guess healing is a very important part of that. I often wonder how it would be to be completely healthy, at least for a week.

Active Imagination: Yes, it's based on Jung's work.  I have a book (which I can't seem to find right now  Undecided ) that helped me understand how to approach it, but I think the same info is probably available on the web.

I'll try to find some more info about this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hope this helps!  As you might have noticed, Brighid is one of my favorite subjects.  Cheesy

It helps a lot. Thank you very much! Smiley

Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 10, 2010, 10:11:24 am »

Yes, it's her very not uncommon way to approach new followers.  Once she has you, she doesn't let go, and why would you want her to?  Embrace her, and you'll probably be much happier for it.

I'm hoping I can have a good relationship with Her. Smiley

If you're calling on "my gods and goddesses" and only a single entity ever shows up, you might be a monopantheist.  I'm not trying to prosthelytize, just saying.  See above.

I've been thinking about this last night, not exactly monopantheism, since I didn't even know what it was, but why is She the one who listens to me when I pray. I do have other gods/goddesses, mostly from the Norse pantheon, but I never felt They were listening when I didn't address Them specifically. If I pray to "my gods and goddesses" and at some point I name someone, for example, Freyr, I get this "Oh? Were you talking to me?" feeling. It irritates me. Cheesy But if I call on the Aesir and/or Vanir, then They listen. I'll have to give this some more thought.

Thanks for the explanation about monopantheism. I had never heard of that. And also for explaining why some people consider Brigid to be the same as Danu.

I was going to ask about the colors associated with Her. I figured red should be there. I think I've read in other threads that blue is also one of Her colors. I hope one of the CRs sees your post and answers the color thing. Would it be ok to buy St. Brigit candles for Brigid?

Also, is there something She doesn't like at all? Any taboos? Something one should absolutely NEVER do for Her?

folksymama
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2011, 01:56:10 pm

Religion: Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 10, 2010, 01:10:42 pm »

I was going to ask about the colors associated with Her. I figured red should be there. I think I've read in other threads that blue is also one of Her colors. I hope one of the CRs sees your post and answers the color thing.

I have heard blue as well - she is sometimes associated with water, and there is a well at Kildare, if I'm not mistaken.  Also, red, orange, yellow (fire colors).  Personally, I associate green with her as it's the traditional color of Ireland, and according to the myth, her mantle was green.

Would it be ok to buy St. Brigit candles for Brigid?

I've never gotten a vibe from her that she has any problem being associated with St. Brighid, so I think it would be fine.  I have a St. Brighid pendant that I wear during my shifts, and the Brighid's cross is traditionally associate with the Saint.  The Saint and Goddess myths and stories are so intertwined that it's hard to separate them, and I don't think she minds.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: February 10, 2010, 01:53:39 pm »

I was thinking yesterday that maybe stretching a bit Her areas of influence I could fit being a teacher. My proffessors use to say that to be a teacher you have to be very creative (and I agree), and they say teaching is a form of art.

I don't think teaching is a stretch at all.  After all, the poets were teachers.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: February 10, 2010, 02:17:39 pm »

I have heard blue as well - she is sometimes associated with water, and there is a well at Kildare, if I'm not mistaken.  Also, red, orange, yellow (fire colors).  Personally, I associate green with her as it's the traditional color of Ireland, and according to the myth, her mantle was green.

I've never gotten a vibe from her that she has any problem being associated with St. Brighid, so I think it would be fine.  I have a St. Brighid pendant that I wear during my shifts, and the Brighid's cross is traditionally associate with the Saint.  The Saint and Goddess myths and stories are so intertwined that it's hard to separate them, and I don't think she minds.

Personally, I've never put much stock into color correspondences for anything, really.  I think color associations can be both intensely personally and heavily influenced by society, so they're very subjective.

I've read all sorts of color correspondences for Brighid for various reasons.  I think you can associate pretty much any color with *something* to do with Her.  If pressed, I'd say the lore supports red and white the best because of the many mentions of Otherworld animals (especially cows) that are white with red ears, and because of the Irish bird that is associated with Her (blanking on the name right now, but I can find it if anyone cares) that is red, white, and black.  However, those associations are really more about the saint than the goddess.

For me, blue is a very important Brighid color, but that's for personal reasons.  (I also have bright pink for Her, again for personal reasons.   Cheesy )  Fire colors, too, of course.

As for the question of whether the goddess minds being associated with the saint...  I certainly can't speak for Her.  My experience has been, though, that She's OK with it.  My personal belief is that the saint developed directly from the worship of the goddess.  I think there likely was at least one very politically astute real-life woman who used the name Brighid and led the quasi-Christian* establishment in Kildare.  But I think it's likely that she (the woman) was making a conscious choice to capitalize on the goddess's popularity.  Again, there is much debate about whether the saint was an historical figure.  I think she was, but not necessarily exactly the way the Lives portray her.  And many of the stories in the saint's Lives appear to be based on the kinds of lore that was likely to be about the goddess (if that made any sense).

Also, there is some debate about the origin of the Brighid's cross.  While it is most typically used to represent the saint now, I know there are many historians who think it is a solar symbol and that it predates Christianity (since it's not the Latin cross used by Christianity).  Since Brighid is likely a sun goddess, it seems to make sense that this particular cross would be a good representation of Her.  (It's thought to be related to the swastika -- which is traditionally a very positive symbol, but was perverted by the Nazis.)  However, there are no surviving examples of this exact cross that can be dated to the pre-Christian period.  Given that this cross is traditionally made out of plant material, though, that's not really surprising.  So the cross's origins are likely to remain a mystery. 

FWIW...

*I used "quasi-Christian" because, although the Kildare church and related organization were definitely Christian, the practice of keeping the perpetual flame was clearly pre-Christian and was not authorized by the Church.  Some scholars suggest that the Kildare church was essentially a continuation of the goddess's center of worship, which was eventually Christianized, and that the saint was originally the high priestess of the Bighind cult located there.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)