The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 23, 2020, 10:20:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2020, 10:20:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: SIG Project: College Pagans Online Publication (Brainstorming thread)  (Read 25103 times)
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather
« Topic Start: February 10, 2010, 05:31:19 am »

In the College Pagan Podcasts thread, the idea was brought up about an online magazine publication for, well, us (and other College/Uni Pagans as well, obviously). Smiley

I agree - I was thinking of starting some kind of online magazine publication for Uni Witches, but I'm starting a podcast soon so I really don't think I have the time to run it but if anyone DID start it I'd love to contribute (I'm a journalism student)

What would we want in it? What kind of articles could we cover?  Roll Eyes

This is the official brainstorm thread for it.

Questions to address:

*What types of articles to cover.
*What's in a name?
*Site hosting options/blog/etc.
*How often to publish/deadlines
*Distribution and advertising (site only, email newsletter, etc)

It's very late at night and I'm sure I'm missing a lot. Feel free to call me an idiot. Wink

So. Let's get this ball rolling! Grin

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 10, 2010, 05:39:52 am »

To keep all the information in one place so no one has to retype, I've quoted the posts from the other thread. (I could not figure out to split topics -- terribly sorry about that. It is beyond my comprehension. Embarrassed)

I have no idea how one goes about setting up a podcast (and honestly, I'm overcommitted this semester as it is), but as far as a blog/publication might go... one of the big things that defines college Paganism is that, for many students, its their first exposure to multiple faith groups on campus and their first experience networking. You get to learn the dynamics of a group that's not quite a coven or official group (at least at my school) and see firsthand how your religion fits into campus life. You get to explore the local Pagan scene, or start it yourself.

I feel that due to all this new stuff going on, and the fact that school can be an absolute killer, the spiritual aspect of Paganism may fall by the wayside, or put off for a few years until you can catch your breath (and burn incense wherever you want Wink). One of the things that might be interesting is a column on how to maintain spirituality and faith even when bogged down with a million and one things a student has to do.

Yeah, that would be interesting! And articles on how to practice Paganism on a budget  Cheesy

How to start a Pagan group on campus, or how to deal with the politics of the group that's already there.

I think I would like to see a few insights into Pagan websites - like discussions on sites such as covenspace, paganspace, a few forums etc since the internet is such a large part of university student's lives these days.

Also, an article on combining your magickal education with your real life education would be interesting. I find as a uni student sometimes that there's always SO much learning to do - then it'd be cool to read articles about places like the Firefly Academy and Witchschool. Do some comparative analysis, reviews, figure out if it's worth paying for some of the services.

I've also been thinking of things like vox pops with college pagans and ideas on hosting pagan parties and feasts.

I know this is all speculation, but who knows? Maybe someone will read this and be up for starting a zine or podcast like this and hear all our ideas/desires  Grin

I'm a religion major/possible Classical archaeology minor, so at least half my classes directly inform some aspect of my path. Smiley But definitely, trying to incorporate everything into a useful whole instead of all these random pieces is important.

At the moment, the best thing I can think of is getting a bunch of resources together in one place and sending in college-related Pagan questions to all the podcasts I listen to (Ravencast, Pagan Heart in Maine, and some others). Oh, and trying to network between different campuses.

I really like that idea - I was also thinking that there's this Pagan publication in Australia which is released four times a year (one for every season) so if this thing did eventuate you wouldn't have to do it all the time - maybe every 6 or 3 months.

But for now I like the idea of making a nice publication for us college pagans, and just seeing what happens.

I've also started online magazines before and I've been studying journalism for three years now at university, so I have a bit of experience too Smiley

A quarterly online publication theoretically shouldn't be too difficult to maintain (around the solstices/equinoxes?). Maybe a website/blog/whatever to supplement things inbetween. (My only caveat: let's get a cool name, not "College Pagans". XD)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 10, 2010, 10:42:36 am »

I see two or three columns per issue, along with book/website/whatever reviews, articles, and news. As for what sorts of things we'd be talking about: exploring Paganism on your own, working with the political and religious climate of your campus, getting to know the Pagan group on campus (or groups in your area), starting your own Pagan/alternative spirituality group, learning effective leadership for said group, worshiping on your own, whether to be in or out of the broom closet, how to conduct effective research, and how to augment your spiritual education with the one you're actually paying for.

*What's in a name?

I don't have any ideas as of yet, but I'm always a fan of elemental imagery.

*Site hosting options/blog/etc.

I don't know much about this, but I think having a blog on the side would be nifty.

*How often to publish/deadlines

I would think quarterly sounds good, so maybe Feb 1, May 1, Aug 1, and Nov 1.

*Distribution and advertising (site only, email newsletter, etc)

Also unsure about this, but I like the newsletter idea.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 10, 2010, 10:47:48 am »

In the College Pagan Podcasts thread, the idea was brought up about an online magazine publication for, well, us (and other College/Uni Pagans as well, obviously). Smiley
This sounds like a good idea! I'd agree with quarterly publication. I'm probably too busy to get involved with the major creation, but if you want an article or two written I'd be happy to help out.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 10, 2010, 11:59:55 am »

What about recent college grads/young adults who are scared to be in the real world (like me)? I have to go back over the original thread, and read this one more in depth, before I can make more suggestions, but here are my first thoughts:

I think that having this publication as a blog might be a good way to start out. If you collect enough material, then start thinking about your own site/server/hosting issues.

A blogging platform is versatile, easily searchable, and easily updated by multiple people.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 10, 2010, 12:06:55 pm »

I think that having this publication as a blog might be a good way to start out. If you collect enough material, then start thinking about your own site/server/hosting issues.

A blogging platform is versatile, easily searchable, and easily updated by multiple people.

Aaand after reading the other thread, and seeing that several of ya'll have some experience setting up an online magazine site, this comment is rendered fairly irrelevant, having been made on the assumption that setting up a site would get overly complicated/might bog down the actual writing of content.

Sorry dudes.  Embarrassed

However, I still think it would be interesting to have some stuff about life after college for pagans: even just some real-world, "you can handle this, don't worry" kind of stuff is reassuring (and definitely something I'd love to see right now...)

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 10, 2010, 08:10:20 pm »

What about recent college grads/young adults who are scared to be in the real world (like me)?

And on a related note... Maybe an article or ? for us non-trads who are scared as hell to be back in the college world?

Just my two coppers, as I haven't actually read the other thread.  Embarrassed

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 10, 2010, 09:10:08 pm »

And on a related note... Maybe an article or ? for us non-trads who are scared as hell to be back in the college world?

Just my two coppers, as I haven't actually read the other thread.  Embarrassed

As my school calls them: "students of a non-traditional age" Smiley That's a good thing to bring up too. (Theoretically this publication would also be servicing grad students, but from what I understand... grad school eats your entire life until you get your degree or die trying.)

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 10, 2010, 09:13:50 pm »

As my school calls them: "students of a non-traditional age" Smiley That's a good thing to bring up too. (Theoretically this publication would also be servicing grad students, but from what I understand... grad school eats your entire life until you get your degree or die trying.)

Crap.... I'm in trouble then, since undergrad is eating my life..... Shocked

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: February 10, 2010, 11:46:35 pm »

This is the official brainstorm thread for it.
Then this looks like a place to throw the College Wicca website into the pot.  I don't know if there's anything there that'd be useful to your project, but it's probably worth taking a look to see if there is.  (The site owner doesn't seem to have done much lately with the site, but a quick glance at the forums shows activity.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Samantha
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2011, 02:58:03 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 11, 2010, 12:08:27 pm »

Questions to address:

Bugger - I left my brainstorming notes at home, and I'll be away from them until next Tuesday. So I have a lot of ideas that I'll post then. I just wanted to add that I think we really need to include/acknowledge those Pagans living in the Southern Hemipshere - particularly since this is a web publication. I know that I living in Australia sometimes feel frustrated when books don't acknowledge that are sabbats are celebrated on different days. So if we wanted to have an article about Imbolc, then we would have to have another one about Lammas - it's just polite  Smiley
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: February 11, 2010, 09:18:56 pm »

Bugger - I left my brainstorming notes at home, and I'll be away from them until next Tuesday. So I have a lot of ideas that I'll post then. I just wanted to add that I think we really need to include/acknowledge those Pagans living in the Southern Hemipshere - particularly since this is a web publication. I know that I living in Australia sometimes feel frustrated when books don't acknowledge that are sabbats are celebrated on different days. So if we wanted to have an article about Imbolc, then we would have to have another one about Lammas - it's just polite  Smiley

Very good idea, and thank you for the reminder. It slips my mind that things are different in the other hemisphere, until someone mentions it, and I have a "Oh, right. Duh." moment. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: February 11, 2010, 09:21:36 pm »

Then this looks like a place to throw the College Wicca website into the pot.  I don't know if there's anything there that'd be useful to your project, but it's probably worth taking a look to see if there is.  (The site owner doesn't seem to have done much lately with the site, but a quick glance at the forums shows activity.)

Sunflower

Thank you Sunflower. Smiley I took a quick look at it and it looks like there are some ideas we could probably use. I'll take a closer look at it when I have a bit more time on my hands.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 11, 2010, 10:19:53 pm »

So. Let's get this ball rolling! Grin

Forgive me if I missed this in the thread, but how often will this be published? Bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly? Depending on what the publication schedule is, I'm definitely willing to help if you'd like.

I edited my college paper for a year, so if you'd like any help with editing I'm willing to help provided the articles are given an ample time before deadline. I'm willing to help with interviews and article writing as well.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 13, 2010, 11:54:17 pm »

I think it's very important to have at least some kind of coverage, for those of us who live on campus, as to substitutes for certain aspects of ritual (electric lamps with oil rings instead of burning incense or using a candle-lit oil warmer, LED candles, etc) and with dealing with roommates/suitemates/residence hall staff who aren't accepting. (My roommate tried to get me thrown out of the dorm because she claimed to be scared of me, and then when that didn't work, she moved  out herself. Then I failed a room inspection last week for the sole reason that I have an altar set up on one of the desks, so they marked the desk as "messy," and I'm still battling with the provost of the university as to whether or not I have to pay the $50 fine.)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)