The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 23, 2020, 04:35:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2020, 04:35:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: SIG Project: College Pagans Online Publication (Brainstorming thread)  (Read 25100 times)
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #30: May 31, 2010, 08:50:16 am »

I can definitely do webmistressing and be part of the permanent writing staff. I don't have any flashy ideas for publicizing except to namedrop the publication in every single conversation, create a Facebook page, put a link to it in my signature on all the fora I participate in, and to print it out and place it in every doctor's office, hotel lobby, and bookstore I can find (as well as campus; that's a given).

That's pretty much what we did for Immanence (we also had to sell adspace, because it cost us money to print it and it was for free) -- just continually bombarded people with it, continually asked people to contribute, etc.

I am not so good with the Layout/Design bit...if I managed to get InDesign on my computer and learn how to use it, then sure. But that was never my area with the mag -- it was my partner's, and he's still doing it.

I've used InDesign before, but I don't have it on any computer (and may not be able to afford it!). I think my new Mac (when I eventually order her) should have an Apple equivalent ("Pages", I think?), but I don't know anything about that. I would think that it would be easy to learn, but it won't be any use if people who don't have Macs can't open the file!

I love your titles! Cheesy

Should we also have a sort of "Ask Abby" section too? Where people could write in for advice? That part wouldn't have to go into the print version; it could be strictly blog.

Yay title love! Cheesy

I do like that idea. Reader responses, that sort of thing. Putting it in the blog makes a lot of sense, so we can respond to it quickly.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: May 31, 2010, 09:44:59 am »

Just using Ellen's post as a jumping off point. Smiley (Excuse any typos or grammar screw ups... End of term sleep deprivation going on at the moment. Roll Eyes )

Nice job so far everyone, this looks like its going to be great. I might every once in a great while be able to toss something together to fill in space, but can't guarantee it. I'll be possibly working three jobs next school year, and at least two this summer, and for some reason my time management skills went to hell in a handbasket as soon as I started school. *sigh*

An article title that popped into my head that plays off one of Ellen's is "Doing your Homework: Combining the magical and mundane". *shrug* Doesn't look as good now that I've written it down as it did in my mind. Cheesy

When the first issue comes out, I'll try to leave a copy or two in the CC Diversity Center. I personally know of only 4 pagans on my campus, (because I've known them for a few years IRL) and I *think* there's more. Redneck/hicktown area of the state isn't real conducive to people being open about a lot of things.  Undecided

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: May 31, 2010, 01:13:48 pm »

Nice job so far everyone, this looks like its going to be great. I might every once in a great while be able to toss something together to fill in space, but can't guarantee it. I'll be possibly working three jobs next school year, and at least two this summer, and for some reason my time management skills went to hell in a handbasket as soon as I started school. *sigh*

You can definitely still contribute to and support the project! Even if you just do an article every so often, or even a shorter column that doesn't have to show up in every issue (or just pimp out the publication to all your friends!), every offer of help is more than welcome.

An article title that popped into my head that plays off one of Ellen's is "Doing your Homework: Combining the magical and mundane". *shrug* Doesn't look as good now that I've written it down as it did in my mind. Cheesy

I can definitely see that being a good article - heck, if someone had enough interest (or I ever get the time xD) I can see that making an excellent book subject.

When the first issue comes out, I'll try to leave a copy or two in the CC Diversity Center. I personally know of only 4 pagans on my campus, (because I've known them for a few years IRL) and I *think* there's more. Redneck/hicktown area of the state isn't real conducive to people being open about a lot of things.  Undecided

I hear ya. Sometimes though, guerilla advertising in enemy territory is the most effective. The Pagans who find themselves in those parts of the country (such as yours truly) relish those sorts of "notes from the outside," believe me. 

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Samantha
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2011, 02:58:03 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: June 04, 2010, 03:29:57 am »

I just realised we forgot one KEY job

The Editor/Leader

We need someone who will be running this show, keeps this thread alive, directs us - not necessarily someone who makes all the decisions but keeps the magazine going.

So if this thread starts to die, they're the ones who get it going again. Of course, this needs to be someone who feels they have the time to commit.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: June 04, 2010, 09:18:01 am »

I just realised we forgot one KEY job

The Editor/Leader

We need someone who will be running this show, keeps this thread alive, directs us - not necessarily someone who makes all the decisions but keeps the magazine going.

So if this thread starts to die, they're the ones who get it going again. Of course, this needs to be someone who feels they have the time to commit.

Could we have co-editors? I would be more than willing to do my part, but I honestly have no idea if I have enough time to take it all on myself.

Samantha
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2011, 02:58:03 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: June 07, 2010, 10:29:58 am »

Could we have co-editors? I would be more than willing to do my part, but I honestly have no idea if I have enough time to take it all on myself.

Yes - that's a good idea
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: June 07, 2010, 11:24:32 am »

Yes - that's a good idea

I wholeheartedly approve of this plan, then. Smiley

Well, since we seem to have a roadmap, I don't see why we can't start collecting articles and writing columns right now.

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: June 10, 2010, 12:39:24 pm »

I wholeheartedly approve of this plan, then. Smiley

Well, since we seem to have a roadmap, I don't see why we can't start collecting articles and writing columns right now.

I'm actually getting Pagan books in the mail - the first shipment arrived from Amazon, and I got The Pagan's Muse. I'd be more than happy to start on a few book reviews right now. Smiley

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather
« Reply #38: June 10, 2010, 03:56:45 pm »

I'm actually getting Pagan books in the mail - the first shipment arrived from Amazon, and I got The Pagan's Muse. I'd be more than happy to start on a few book reviews right now. Smiley

Sounds like a plan.

I'll start on something... not sure what yet. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: June 10, 2010, 04:00:05 pm »

Sounds like a plan.

I'll start on something... not sure what yet. Smiley

(I am loving this book so far!) I'll get that and the first part of one of the columns done... I'm kind of interested in "The Gods Understand If You're Broke" column.

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: June 12, 2010, 04:34:59 pm »

(I am loving this book so far!) I'll get that and the first part of one of the columns done... I'm kind of interested in "The Gods Understand If You're Broke" column.

Could I possibly do an article on practicing a pagan faith within a place/culture that's unfriendly to non-mainstream religion? That's very true of the university I'm attending--public university but not very open to non-JCI religions.

Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #41: June 12, 2010, 04:48:41 pm »

Could I possibly do an article on practicing a pagan faith within a place/culture that's unfriendly to non-mainstream religion? That's very true of the university I'm attending--public university but not very open to non-JCI religions.

I have no objections. Smiley That would fit into the "In or out of the broom closet/being Pagan on Campus" column.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: June 14, 2010, 02:27:23 pm »

I have no objections. Smiley That would fit into the "In or out of the broom closet/being Pagan on Campus" column.

So I know we had a ball park range of when submissions should be in, but do we have an absolute deadline set yet?

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: June 14, 2010, 06:22:37 pm »

So I know we had a ball park range of when submissions should be in, but do we have an absolute deadline set yet?

How about at least a month before publication, that way we have plenty of time to read, review, edit, and get things laid out?

Also, I think your article on being Pagan in unfriendly territory would be really interesting. Smiley

Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: June 14, 2010, 06:26:50 pm »

I'm thinking a month before the release date, and the release date is...Mabon/Fall Equinox? Is that what we decided on?

That definitely gives us more time than if we were to release it on Lughnasa (deadline would be July 1st, then, and yeah, I can't do that).

So, August 22nd. I think. Unless anyone has any objections. Maybe try to get things in a bit earlier, just because it's our first issue and we want some extra time.

We haven't solidified who the co-editors/leaders are of the project, but if no one minds I'd like to be one. When we get that more solidified and what areas of the mag will be handled by each editor then we'll know who to send what articles to.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)