The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 23, 2020, 04:55:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2020, 04:55:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: SIG Project: College Pagans Online Publication (Brainstorming thread)  (Read 25101 times)
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 14, 2010, 06:30:46 pm »

I'm thinking a month before the release date, and the release date is...Mabon/Fall Equinox? Is that what we decided on?

That definitely gives us more time than if we were to release it on Lughnasa (deadline would be July 1st, then, and yeah, I can't do that).

So, August 22nd. I think. Unless anyone has any objections. Maybe try to get things in a bit earlier, just because it's our first issue and we want some extra time.

We haven't solidified who the co-editors/leaders are of the project, but if no one minds I'd like to be one. When we get that more solidified and what areas of the mag will be handled by each editor then we'll know who to send what articles to.

I'd love to be a co-editor as well. I work better with someone else helping me to be accountable, and vice versa, than trying to lug things around on my own. Smiley And August 22 or beforehand seems completely doable.

We should probably decide how long we want this to be - how many articles, reviews, columns, etc, and how long each of those are.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather
« Reply #46: June 14, 2010, 10:49:03 pm »

I'd love to be a co-editor as well. I work better with someone else helping me to be accountable, and vice versa, than trying to lug things around on my own. Smiley And August 22 or beforehand seems completely doable.

We should probably decide how long we want this to be - how many articles, reviews, columns, etc, and how long each of those are.

Alright. I also do better with someone else to hold me accountable. (Especially as I'm also editor for Immanence this summer as my mom recovers from her surgery.)

Word count depends on layout. We talked about making it a PDF so we could print it off. Standard paper size is 8.5 X 11 -- if we make our magazine a bit smaller than that in the PDF layout, then people can easily print it off and staple it down the side (we could have a simple border around the pages, maybe, to make it look pretty but also give room for staples so we won't cut off the words in the articles).

That gives us a lot of room per page. We'll want to change up the layout with things like images and such so each page isn't just a wall of text, but we'll still have plenty of room for articles (we could even showcase Pagan fiction or poetry, if we wanted).

This would also make the PDF easy to read online, instead of doing a fold-over magazine layout. Just have to ask people to print double-sided so we don't waste paper. Smiley 

Anyway, I'd say maybe anywhere between 500-850 for articles, up to 2K for fiction. It's okay if they go over, as part of editing is getting word-count within limits. Smiley

As for how many articles...I'm thinking maybe not to set limits until we see how many we're getting. We may not have to set limits for this first issue at all, and seeing how many we get put together in 'zine format will give us a good idea of what numbers are good or not.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: June 14, 2010, 10:58:09 pm »

It sounds like you've got more experience in this than I do, so I cede to your judgment. Smiley Personally I would prefer to have some sort of idea what we're expecting beforehand - at least so many articles of this type and so many of that type - but you're right, we don't really have any data to work with right now, and a lot of this is up in the air.

Did we want to pick a theme for each issue?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #48: June 14, 2010, 11:16:18 pm »

Did we want to pick a theme for each issue?

Yes! I think having a theme each issue is a really good idea.

So. Any ideas for our first issue's theme? My brain is dead.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
Samantha
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2011, 02:58:03 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #49: June 16, 2010, 09:14:25 am »

Yes! I think having a theme each issue is a really good idea.

I like the idea of a theme - but I'm struggling to think of one at this moment Smiley At the moment I'm really inspired by travel, because as I write this I'm in Monaco but I don't know how we could relate a whole issue connecting Paganism and travel hm.... I'm doing a trip through Europe throughout June - this is one of the reasons I'd like to not sign up for co-editor at least at the moment, but I do want to be a part of it with writing, brainstorming etc But since I'm travelling I don't feel I can commit to it, plus I'm in the process of working on my own Pagan podcast Smiley But I'm interested in being part of the editing (in terms of the grammar, structure, spelling etc of stories)

Maybe if we have a definite release date we might be able to connect the theme to it that way?

Also - should we start our own forum on the board for this project on the site?
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: June 16, 2010, 09:35:45 am »

Some ideas for themes -

Being Your Own Priest/ess - looking at what it means practicing alone, in the broom closet, etc. Ways to strengthen your practice, ways to improve yourself, a whole discussion on whether to come out and to whom. How to write rituals and chants, how to explore ritualistically and magically, how to find good info, how to feel comfortable reaching out on your own to deity.

Intersecting Identities - what does it mean to be Pagan and LGBTetc, Pagan and political, Pagan and another religion, etc. (Personally I'd write about my affiliation as a Geek-Pagan. Grin)

Pick a Pantheon - if we're really stuck for a month, we could make an entire issue themed around a specific pantheon. Say, we'd pick Egyptian and interview folks who worked with the Netjer.

Paganism and Activism - an entire issue focused on things that you can do easily on your campus. Resource sites (the Lady Liberty League, the Wild Hunt Blog, ACLU for the heck of it), people to write, how to write your own story for the college paper, how to get your group or friends involved. Spiritually, what does it mean to stand up for justice and human rights?

Also - should we start our own forum on the board for this project on the site?

That's up to the SIG leader. I think the project is still a little small at this point to warrant its own section on TC.

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #51: June 16, 2010, 01:05:00 pm »

What about Beginnings and Change?

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: June 17, 2010, 10:32:13 am »

I feel like this is a d'oh moment for me. That makes so much sense for the first issue. XD Here I am overthinking everything.

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: June 18, 2010, 05:19:13 pm »

I love it! Cheesy

Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #54: June 19, 2010, 02:57:51 am »

I love it! Cheesy

I agree. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

Samantha
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2011, 02:58:03 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: September 06, 2010, 06:24:21 am »

I agree. Smiley

Hi everyone,

It's clear that this thread has died and I feel we need to face the music about some things: Firstly, there is just not enough people to run this thing as a monthly magazine or anyone who is willing to fully take charge and run with it.

But I think this thread has shown that there is a desire for something for college/university level Pagans - the ones who sit in the middle between the teen witches and the mature-aged ones. There are unique experiences for college Pagans.

So - I would like to build a website instead. With all our ideas published as one resource for college pagans - a lexicon of accessible, accurate and interesting/relevant information for college Pagans.

This will involve a lot of planning, but I'm willing to run with it. But I don't want it to be one person's article/opinions - I want a collective of all different writers and all the different ideas we came up with.

I'd be interested to know who would be on board for this.

Blessings,

Samantha

P.S - At the moment I'm almost a qualified journalist (mainly focusing on print and online), a sub-editor for a print magazine and I've made a large lexicon of information for a site on the net before - so I feel I have a decent amount of credentials to do this - if people were wondering about that Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)