The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 23, 2021, 01:15:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2021, 01:15:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Recommended Sources on Asatru and Heathenry  (Read 28946 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: March 02, 2010, 08:44:37 pm »

Hmm... good thought. Anyone else agree with this?
I think that's an excellent idea.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: March 02, 2010, 11:47:08 pm »

I think that's an excellent idea.

Sunflower
Done!

Keep it coming, everyone. Smiley Share resources you'd recommend, or those you would NOT recommend could be useful too. ha.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 27, 2010, 07:57:36 am »

This seems like one of those issues that needs to be addressed while the SIG is still young. What books would you recommend for newbies to read so they can have a better understanding of the Heathen world view.

Since there is already a thread focusing on the lore, please refrain from posting any of those recommendations here. However, please keep that thread alive and post those recommendations there! Cheesy

For the purposes of this thread, if you have any recommendations that are of a cultural anthropological nature, that study the modern heathen movement, and provide relevant information and tips for newbies to prepare themselves for in the world of Heathen ideology... Please post them here!

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 03:32:54 am

Religion: Agnostic Pessimist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 27, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »

Off the top of my head, God and Myths of Northern Europe by H. R. Ellis Davidson comes to mind.

Cease then and let me alone,
that I may take comfort a little before I go whence I shall not return,
even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
a land of darkness, as darkness itself,
and of the shadow of death without any order,
and where the light is as darkness.

- Job
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: March 27, 2010, 05:05:24 pm »

Off the top of my head, God and Myths of Northern Europe by H. R. Ellis Davidson comes to mind.
Hi, GabrielWithoutWings! Please remember to quote when replying, thanks! Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 27, 2010, 05:10:11 pm »

Hi, GabrielWithoutWings! Please remember to quote when replying, thanks! Smiley

Whoops.  My bad.

- Job
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: March 27, 2010, 05:27:34 pm »

Whoops.  My bad.
No worries! Just a habit to keep up as it makes things easier to read the longer a thread gets.

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 27, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »

No worries! Just a habit to keep up as it makes things easier to read the longer a thread gets.

Hey HB! Any books you'd recommend, or would like to see on a SIG reading list?

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 28, 2010, 07:01:29 am »

I've got to 2nd this suggestion.

I've enjoyed 'Our Troth' vols 1 & 2 ed. Kveldulf Gundarsson. Vol 1 is most use. As with anything written for modern Heathens the salt needs to be kept to hand, but mostly it sticks to describing what Heathens believe, and describing the sources used etc. A good hefty section on the history of the Germanic peoples and chapters on each of the gods, each of which could be printed seperately and flogged as a small book. It presents both sides of arguments in some cases; two very different perspectives on Loki being included for example.

Anything by Stephen Pollington, especially 'Rudiments of Runelore'. Published by the same people are Kathleen Herbert's 'Looking for the Lost Gods of England' and 'Peace Weavers and Shield Maidens'.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 28, 2010, 04:05:37 pm »

I've got to 2nd this suggestion.

I've enjoyed 'Our Troth' vols 1 & 2 ed. Kveldulf Gundarsson. Vol 1 is most use. As with anything written for modern Heathens the salt needs to be kept to hand, but mostly it sticks to describing what Heathens believe, and describing the sources used etc. A good hefty section on the history of the Germanic peoples and chapters on each of the gods, each of which could be printed seperately and flogged as a small book. It presents both sides of arguments in some cases; two very different perspectives on Loki being included for example.

Anything by Stephen Pollington, especially 'Rudiments of Runelore'. Published by the same people are Kathleen Herbert's 'Looking for the Lost Gods of England' and 'Peace Weavers and Shield Maidens'.

Oh, and I've heard that any rune-lore books by Stephen Erdred Flowers is a must-have.

- Job
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: March 28, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »

Hey HB! Any books you'd recommend, or would like to see on a SIG reading list?
Others are probably more equipped to answer that than I am! I have hardly any books, although there are several on my Amazon wish list. Wink haha.

And now that you mention it, I will try to merge this thread with the Recommended Resources one...

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 29, 2010, 01:46:08 am »

For the purposes of this thread, if you have any recommendations that are of a cultural anthropological nature, that study the modern heathen movement, and provide relevant information and tips for newbies to prepare themselves for in the world of Heathen ideology... Please post them here!

I'm going to third Gods and Myths of Northern Europe and The Road to Hel both by H. R. Ellis-Davidson. 

I found Magic of the Norse Goddesses by Alice Karlsdottir very helpful for information about Frigga, her lore, her handmaidens and how to honor her today within a Heathen context.  This book cites reputable sources while also exploring trance work about the goddesses. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Jane C
Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:55:26 am

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 30, 2010, 01:14:32 am »

I'm going to third Gods and Myths of Northern Europe and The Road to Hel both by H. R. Ellis-Davidson.

Fourthed, actually any HRED books are worthwhile.

"ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.earth -- reboot universe? (Y/N)"
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #28: April 06, 2010, 07:58:42 am »

Oh, and I've heard that any rune-lore books by Stephen Erdred Flowers is a must-have.

Coming in a little late here.

Read anything written in later years by Stephen Flowers aka Edred Thorsson aka Spooky Eddie with an entire salt lick.

While his earlier work is fantastic, most of his later stuff is, by his own admission, NOT lore based except in the loosest terms. He does not call himself heathen any more, he has joined the *insert spooky voice over* Temple of Set.

Books like 9 Doors of Midgard are... well, there are some nuggets of good info buried in there, but it is NOT good material for new folks. I have a copy on my shelf that I occasionally pull down and start to read, then put back after a few pages of going "Huh? Where the hell did you get THAT idea?"

Hey, that's an idea. Hyacinth, why not a thread on what to AVOID? Smiley

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: April 07, 2010, 08:03:48 pm »

Hey, that's an idea. Hyacinth, why not a thread on what to AVOID? Smiley
Done! Click to see the Asatru and Heathen Sources to Avoid thread.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)