The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 09, 2020, 08:31:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 09, 2020, 08:31:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pagan Kids group  (Read 3595 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 10, 2010, 07:37:14 pm »

I am wanting to start a Pagan kids group in our area -- just something low-key for little ones (and their parents) to enjoy together. We had contemplated starting a SpiralScouts group, and had started pursuing that - but it petered out because we couldn't find a male to commit his time to being a leader. They're fairly heavy on the Wiccan ideas, as far as I can tell, and while I appreciate their desire to honor both the male and female energies by requiring a leader of each gender... it just didn't work for us. There are a couple of dads who want to be involved, but not make a formal commitment. (Which I understand!) So we stalled out, and I decided to table it for now.

I'd like to do something more organized than a playgroup, but less than a "scouting organization." Anyone have any ideas? I've got five other families who will probably be interested, at least in getting together seasonally.

Ideas on how to make it inclusive of different practices/beliefs, while still giving the kids a chance to celebrate their path communally, would be awesome. I'm thinking focusing on activities rather than on ceremony is probably good, but I think that some small ritual for opening and closing would be nice. The expectation in Pagan groups tends to be fairly Wiccan, which is fine - I have no problems with "the four elements" etc even though it's not the language of my path. But I want it to be something that Wiccans and Asatru (and other!) families alike will feel welcome.

Help me brainstorm, and if you have experiences with anything like this, do share!!

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 10, 2010, 07:47:55 pm »

I'd like to do something more organized than a playgroup, but less than a "scouting organization." Anyone have any ideas? I've got five other families who will probably be interested, at least in getting together seasonally.

I started a vaguely pagan-flavored homeschool group with a friend of mine when my son was a kid (okay, he's still a kid...a 20-year-old kid).  We did various seasonal crafts and attended cultural events and the like.  It was just structured enough that people were motivated, but not so structured as to squeeze all the fun out of it.  If you have questions about specific things we did, lemme know.  Smiley

Brina
Collinsky
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 10, 2010, 08:00:06 pm »

I started a vaguely pagan-flavored homeschool group with a friend of mine when my son was a kid (okay, he's still a kid...a 20-year-old kid).  We did various seasonal crafts and attended cultural events and the like.  It was just structured enough that people were motivated, but not so structured as to squeeze all the fun out of it.  If you have questions about specific things we did, lemme know.  Smiley

Brina

That would be great, if you could share a bit more! We are all homeschoolers (although I know another family that is Asatru and they aren't homeschooling, but would certainly be welcome!) so a "pagan-flavored homeschool group" would be right up our alley.  Smiley

~*~Colleen~*~
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 10, 2010, 11:38:06 pm »

That would be great, if you could share a bit more! We are all homeschoolers (although I know another family that is Asatru and they aren't homeschooling, but would certainly be welcome!) so a "pagan-flavored homeschool group" would be right up our alley.

Cool.  Smiley  My best advice is to keep the religious aspects fairly general.  Every time someone came up with something more structures/ritualized, it was a miserable failure.  The best times we had were crafty things that were seasonally relevant.  We did things like dipping candles at Imbolc, planting seeds at the spring equinox, making cob fairy houses/birdhouses at Beltane, and decorating sugar skulls for Dia de los Muertos.  We also did non-season-specific stuff like soapmaking, screenprinting, and cob construction.  As long as you're willing to have a messy house, the sky's the limit.  Everything was potluck, and so fairly low-key.  As an unschooler, you know how learning happens when kids are having too much fun to know they're learning.  And that's what our group was all about.

Brina
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 10, 2010, 11:46:06 pm »

We had contemplated starting a SpiralScouts group, and had started pursuing that - but it petered out because we couldn't find a male to commit his time to being a leader.

I'm a spiralscouts leader and we have no males involved in the leadership of our group.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
yewberry
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 11, 2010, 01:52:13 am »

I'm a spiralscouts leader and we have no males involved in the leadership of our group.

I've heard from several people that they've lightened up about the gender polarity thing.  It used to be, if not enforced, more strongly encouraged.

Brina
Collinsky
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 12, 2010, 04:03:23 pm »

Cool.  Smiley  My best advice is to keep the religious aspects fairly general.  Every time someone came up with something more structures/ritualized, it was a miserable failure.  The best times we had were crafty things that were seasonally relevant.  We did things like dipping candles at Imbolc, planting seeds at the spring equinox, making cob fairy houses/birdhouses at Beltane, and decorating sugar skulls for Dia de los Muertos.  We also did non-season-specific stuff like soapmaking, screenprinting, and cob construction.  As long as you're willing to have a messy house, the sky's the limit.  Everything was potluck, and so fairly low-key.  As an unschooler, you know how learning happens when kids are having too much fun to know they're learning.  And that's what our group was all about.

Brina

These are great ideas and will probably go over really well! Thanks!

~*~Colleen~*~
Collinsky
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 12, 2010, 04:07:53 pm »

Every time I mentioned that we were struggling to find a male leader, and asked for another extension to our time because of that reason alone, they never once said that perhaps we could go ahead without one. I once asked if we could go ahead with the female leaders we had and look for a male leader once we were already more established in the community - and they said that they REALLY prefer at least one male leader. By now, it's moot.  Angry Still on the table though, for a future time.

~*~Colleen~*~

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)