The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 07, 2020, 11:34:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2020, 11:34:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Eternal Egypt: Ancient Rituals for the modern world" recommendation!  (Read 10571 times)
Sekhmet's Servant
Journeyman
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:00:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist/Hard Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 17, 2011, 12:43:10 pm »

Hm.  I finally did end up doing this ritual a few weeks ago. 

It was interesting. The sky just happened to be thick with dark clouds at the time and it felt like the presence of the God was very "heavy" in the room.  There was sort of an "eye of the storm" type of feeling.  I'm not sure how else to explain it.  I went into that ritual with what were, admittedly, some rather ignorant assumptions.  "Oh, he's going to mess with me because I serve Ausir."  I realized that it was completely ridiculous to think of how Sutekh would interact with me solely on the basis of who my "primary" patron happens to be.  Sutekh is Sutekh, infinitely bigger than that one story.  Heh.  Sometimes I really like learning I'm wrong.  Wink

One interesting thing I've found as I work with the "general" rituals is that I've actually started to find ritual less overwhelming because of them.  I've done them enough times now that I understand the general flow of things, and I know what's coming.  I think it's easier for me to have meaningful experiences because I'm not worried about how to plan the ritual or what I'm going to do.  Since everything is all laid out for me, I can just focus on the experience itself.  I seem to get a deeper meaning out of the texts every time I perform the ritual, as well.  Since there are so many different layers of meaning I feel like I could do the ritual a hundred times and each time come out of it with different insights.  The commentaries in the book are really helpful, too.  It's not like he just dumps a ritual in your lap and says "here, now do it."  I find myself referring to those commentaries again and again, especially when my friends ask me what the heck I do in a Kemetic ritual.

I still want to work on general rituals for other Gods but I've got so many irons in the fire.  I have a friend who is a devotee of Het-heru and would probably love a general ritual to Her for our temple.  If I ever finish my general ritual projects I'll let ya'll know.

I have the book, bought it a couple of months ago, and I'm on Chapter 4 'The Book of Overthrowing Apep' Why it took me so long to get to that part is that I like to take my time on a book that I own. I don't have to return it to the Library so there's no need for me to rush. I like to savor what I'm reading. My favorite part of the chapter, so far, is the following:

"O you wise ones who are in this land, and you Nine Netjeru (gods) who came into being from my flesh, be vigilant in felling Apep! Exorcise him and destroy his name. May your arms fell him. May you not permit his name to be spread abroad. His children shall not exist. His seat shall not exist, and he shall have neither Ba (double) nor body nor Ka (spirit), for he is given over to the Eye of Ra and it has power over him. It devours him."

I wasn't squimish when I read that section. What I like about the book is that I'm able to read actual temple text and read the rituals that I've never read before. While I'll agree that it is an intermediate book I didn't find following the rutuals to be hard. I've not done any of them, just read, and so far I'm glad that I spent the money. I'll do another review when I'm done with the book.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 17, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »

I thought you were going Celtic since Kemetics are "too mean."

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Sekhmet's Servant
Journeyman
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:00:05 am

Religion: Celtic Reconstructionist/Hard Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 17, 2011, 02:22:20 pm »

I thought you were going Celtic since Kemetics are "too mean."

Devo recommended it and I like anything that deals with Egyptians. Personally I don't think that you need to be Kemetic to enjoy authors that talk about Egyptian rituals and stuff. Oh Sekhemib what do you think about all this snow that we got and our local store being robbed, Orchard Veriaty (I know I so misspelled that word). That book is great. Also I had this urge to put Aset back up. Some little voice was saying 'Put me back up.' With the fact that my family has a history of physic abilities (my mother can look at a photo and know that the person is dead, creepy) I followed the voice.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.