The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2019, 05:03:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2019, 05:03:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Origins of Modern Witchcraft: The Evolution of a World Religion  (Read 9457 times) Average Rating: 1
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: February 11, 2010, 08:25:39 pm »

I think this would fall under 'looking at ancient practice with a modern Neo-Wiccan lens?'  By that I mean how many modern day practitoners just invoke whichever gods are applicable to the situation.

Modern Neo-Wiccans may do that, sure.  But they have a legit ancient precedent -- the ancient Greeks who practiced magic did exactly the same thing.  Sarah Iles Johnston, in Hekate Soteira, calculated which gods showed up most frequently in surviving ancient spells of every variety, and the number that invoke Hekate is greater than, like, all the others put together. 

I actually think that specifically matching the god to the type of spell -- Aphrodite to a love spell, Hera to a marriage spell -- might be *more* Neo-Wiccan than not.  While ancient Greek religion and magic were not as separate as is sometimes claimed (at least among magic practitioners), they were not nearly as closely intertwined as in modern Wicca/Neo-Wicca.  Magic, in ancient Greece, was an unorthodox technology, and firmly under Hekate's domain.  If you were doing magic, you likely -- as Johnston demonstrates -- went to her first, because she is in charge of the *means* by which you're trying to get whatever it is:  if you choose this technology, you need her approval before you get to the end goal.  She seems to function almost as a magical gatekeeper, in that sense. 

If you wanted to be more orthodox, you'd go pray to the god who governs your end goal -- Aphrodite for love.  But in Wicca/Neo-Wicca, magic is, kind of, the default method for achieving goals -- it's not cordoned off under the specific domain of Hekate quite as thoroughly.  Of course, there are plenty of surviving ancient love spells that invoke Aphrodite first, but Hekate is so visibly present that that it's clear that many practitioners were giving precedence to the means, rather than the end goal, in constructing their spells.         

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: February 11, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »

Weeeell, if you're willing to follow the same careless and uninformed thought processes, and if you squint really hard, you can almost see where she got it.  Hekate is the single most widely invoked goddess in surviving spells from ancient Greece -- a major chunk of which were love spells.  Hekate is the pre-eminent goddess of magic, and ancient witches/magicians clearly felt that she was therefore the best deity to invoke, no matter what the specific purpose of the spell.  So, if she read about ancient Greek and Roman love magic, and saw that Hekate was commonly invoked, it makes a tiny -- just a tiny -- bit more sense.   

Oh I can see that. And it might make more sense to me if Aphrodite wasn't hanging around, and if she hadn't carved out the "eroticism" bit. Because really, Aphrodite has that area pretty well tied up. But it was like she didn't exist, which made it even more bizarre (and I won't go into her talking about the Norse pantheon in the same breath).

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: February 11, 2010, 08:37:02 pm »

Oh I can see that. And it might make more sense to me if Aphrodite wasn't hanging around, and if she hadn't carved out the "eroticism" bit. Because really, Aphrodite has that area pretty well tied up. But it was like she didn't exist, which made it even more bizarre (and I won't go into her talking about the Norse pantheon in the same breath).

Just wild mad guessing here, but I'm guessing she tried to say that the "Greek Goddess of Eroticism and Magic" is the same as a certain Norse goddess that has both of those in her sphere of influence?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: February 11, 2010, 08:38:07 pm »

Yeah, this is pretty much what I meant.  Sorry for any confusion Smiley

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: February 11, 2010, 08:48:48 pm »

Just wild mad guessing here, but I'm guessing she tried to say that the "Greek Goddess of Eroticism and Magic" is the same as a certain Norse goddess that has both of those in her sphere of influence?

I honestly can't remember, but that sounds about right.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 11, 2010, 08:57:57 pm »

Ah yes. The only author to remain #1 on my Total Shit List for 10 years.

Hekate: Goddess of Eroticism.

'nuf said.

Wow.

(Although, I guess what is erotic is subjective and individual... note to self: do not pursue an intimate relationship with Moura.)

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 11, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »

WTF!?! Shocked

I'm with Juni, how the hell did she come up with that?

I have no idea at all! I'm still in the 'what the hell?' kind of stage too.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2019, 03:35:54 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: February 12, 2010, 12:29:18 am »

(Although, I guess what is erotic is subjective and individual... note to self: do not pursue an intimate relationship with Moura.)
That made me laugh out loud.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Caelesti
Journeyman
Last Login:October 14, 2011, 05:20:57 pm

Religion: Celtic/Hellenic Polytheist, ADF, UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 19, 2010, 10:52:46 am »

Title: Origins of Modern Witchcraft: The Evolution of a World Religion
Author(s): Ann Moura
Publisher: Llewellyn Publications

I picked up "Dancing Shadows: the Roots of Western Religious Beliefs" that she published under the name Aoumiel a few years before this one. It looks like "Origins" was an expanded version of it.
It traced Wicca back to the Indus Valley and Hinduism- connected the Wiccan God & Goddess to Shiva and Shakti. Now, I have heard others say that Gardner was in part inspired by Tantra when he created Wicca. That's far from a direct connection to Hinduism though!

I picked up the book at a garage sale for around 25 cents. That's about what it was worth! Got rid of it later.

I do have to say though, it seems claiming ancient origins for Wicca & related religions is a lot popular than it was even 10 years ago when I came onto the Pagan scene. Though we are far from being fluff-free, there is a lot more decent scholarship that people use.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 11:13:29 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: February 19, 2010, 05:21:10 pm »

I picked up "Dancing Shadows: the Roots of Western Religious Beliefs" that she published under the name Aoumiel a few years before this one.

I never saw that one. I doubt I missed much.

I do have to say though, it seems claiming ancient origins for Wicca & related religions is a lot popular than it was even 10 years ago when I came onto the Pagan scene. Though we are far from being fluff-free, there is a lot more decent scholarship that people use.

Yes, it seems like fewer people are making the claim these days, probably because the claim now gets debunked and/or laughed at much more frequently than it used to.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)