The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 07:41:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 07:41:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Precious Metal Clay  (Read 2059 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: February 13, 2010, 02:41:02 am »

Does anyone here work with precious metal clay (PMC)?

I have a thing for symbolic jewelry and amulets -- I have a couple of really great pieces that I've had custom made.  And I have another in mind.

I'm interested in trying to make it myself, and I've heard that PMC is relatively easy to work with.  What I want to make will be pretty simple -- probably a thickish disk with a design on each side (likely some version of a Brighid's cross on one side and maybe a couple of ogam characters on the other side, or something like that).  I haven't totally decided yet.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

~MI

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 13, 2010, 03:29:07 am »

I'm interested in trying to make it myself, and I've heard that PMC is relatively easy to work with.  What I want to make will be pretty simple -- probably a thickish disk with a design on each side (likely some version of a Brighid's cross on one side and maybe a couple of ogam characters on the other side, or something like that). 

Do you have a kiln?  It's my understanding you'll need one if the piece is fairly thick.  I've seen it being fired on YouTube and at a local shop that sells it, but I've never used it myself.  Also, you might want to consider trying the copper or bronze versions before springing for silver.

Brina
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 13, 2010, 03:31:40 am »

Do you have a kiln? 

Not yet.  But a friend does.

I've also read that it can be fired with a torch -- or at least, the newest kind (PMC3) can.

Trying the less expensive stuff first is a great idea!  Thanks.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Petrichor
Journeyman
Last Login:November 21, 2010, 12:14:10 am

Religion: Spiritual aka I'm figuring it out

If you're reading this then I am no longer lurking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: July 12, 2010, 03:32:08 pm »

Does anyone here work with precious metal clay (PMC)?

I have a thing for symbolic jewelry and amulets -- I have a couple of really great pieces that I've had custom made.  And I have another in mind.

I'm interested in trying to make it myself, and I've heard that PMC is relatively easy to work with.  What I want to make will be pretty simple -- probably a thickish disk with a design on each side (likely some version of a Brighid's cross on one side and maybe a couple of ogam characters on the other side, or something like that).  I haven't totally decided yet.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

~MI
  It is pretty easy, like molding clay. I just took a beginners class on PMC. If your piece is bigger then a quarter then they suggested that you fire it in a kiln otherwise you can use a hand torch like the kind you use in the kitchen for creme brulee and a sodering brick. As for thickness they use a measuring system based on playing cards where they roll out the clay between two stacks of playing cards so that the roller can rest on the cards and roll the clay evenly. 4 cards thick is a sort of standard although three cards are good for charms and earrings. So if you're going to go thicker then 4 cards you probably need to use a kiln. Also while the bronze and copper are cheaper I hear they are also more difficult to fire and I don't know if you can use a torch on them. The place where I took classes also has a firing service with a few finishing options so maybe check your local bead stores to see if they have classes and a kiln service?

There's actually a PMC Guild. Check out their website as they have a pdf with baisic PMC info for getting started. Plus other resources like classes.
http://www.pmcguild.com/home.html

Pmc silver also comes in a syringe so you can draw raised designs with it and in a tiny paper sheet forms to make origami sculptures with.

Let me know if you have more questions. This is just what I remember off the top of my head as I don't have my notes with me.

Life is dangerous, no one gets out alive.
Petrichor
Journeyman
Last Login:November 21, 2010, 12:14:10 am

Religion: Spiritual aka I'm figuring it out

If you're reading this then I am no longer lurking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: July 12, 2010, 09:00:45 pm »

Oh by the way I forgot to tell you something really important. PMC shrinks when you fire it. How much depends on the type you use. PMC shrinks 30% and PMC+ shrinks 10-12%. PMC3 shrinks the least since it has the most metal in it.

Life is dangerous, no one gets out alive.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)