The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 18, 2022, 03:28:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2022, 03:28:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What are some good careers or jobs for a Pagan?  (Read 18865 times)
Earendil
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 31, 2010, 05:07:45 am
New Zealand New Zealand

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 13, 2010, 06:59:15 pm »

I'm wondering what some good careers/jobs would be for a Pagan? Something that helps the environment or working at a natural health store, or Wiccan supply store or something like that. Any suggestions?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section btw, I didn't know where else to put it. Thanks!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 13, 2010, 07:13:54 pm »

I'm wondering what some good careers/jobs would be for a Pagan? Something that helps the environment or working at a natural health store, or Wiccan supply store or something like that. Any suggestions?

It depends on what kind of Pagan you're talking about... for some, jobs that involve nature or the environment would be a good fit, but for non-nature based Pagans, it would not necessarily work well. A polytheistic Pagan might choose a career that honors a particular deity, but probably there was interest/talent in that direction anyway. I'd say that in general, most Pagans have jobs that are personally meaningful for them, outside of their religion.

For instance, any career that I would have enjoyed before I became a Pagan, are still careers that I would enjoy. The way I approached my tasks and personal spiritual perspectives might be different in some ways now, but the actual career would be the same.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
DeCarabas
Apprentice
Last Login:June 18, 2010, 12:07:28 pm

Religion: Kemetic/Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 13, 2010, 08:38:02 pm »

A polytheistic Pagan might choose a career that honors a particular deity, but probably there was interest/talent in that direction anyway.

I'm curious about how common this is - choosing a career that reflects your deity (or deities), whether or not that choice was originally intended as a way of honoring them.

It's definitely the case for me - it wasn't intentional, but my gods are largely healers and psychopomps, and one wanderer with a love for wisdom and words; and I'm about to take a year to travel and teach English as a Foreign Language, then coming back to work as an EMT.  Our gods and our careers both tend to reflect our strong points, so it's probably pretty typical to wind up with a career that honors your gods in some way.
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 13, 2010, 09:04:38 pm »

Sorry if this is in the wrong section btw, I didn't know where else to put it. Thanks!
If you are talking about yourself and looking for a career you will enjoy to do with nature I would suggest a job as a ranger or in agriculture. You could always train as a natropath  or some sort of alternative therapy if that sort of thing appeals to you more than an outside job. But whatever you do I would definitely finish high school first because it is so much harder to try to catch up with that part of your education later. (which I know from personal experience) Smiley
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 13, 2010, 11:52:11 pm »

I'm skeptical of the idea that one's career needs to be integral to one's religion. I imagine it can play a factor, but I think it should probably be a small one. (Beyond the obvious no-gos: If you're a conservative Catholic, being a doctor who provides abortions may not be the best career choice; if you're a Wiccan, signing up to harvest the timber of old-growth forests might be problemmatic.)

I mean, what are some good careers/jobs for a Christian? Why would a pagan's choices be any more limited?

I think far more important factors would be one's aptitudes and interests, one's training and education, and a range of other things from temperament to what the job market in various fields are like to what part of the world one prefers to reside in and what type of lifestyle one wants.

Religion would be the last thing I worried about in the context of my career choice.

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 14, 2010, 12:05:55 am »

You could try to find a way to incorporate your spiritual values in your faith somehow.

I work part time as a janitor and part time as a stock person at a hardware store. I see both expressing my spirituality because I'm providing a service to people, I'm cleaning and helping the community, and in the case of the hardware store, I work enough with wood, so there's a loose connotation of nature.

Do what feels best for you!

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: February 14, 2010, 12:18:58 am »

I'm skeptical of the idea that one's career needs to be integral to one's religion. I imagine it can play a factor, but I think it should probably be a small one. (Beyond the obvious no-gos: If you're a conservative Catholic, being a doctor who provides abortions may not be the best career choice; if you're a Wiccan, signing up to harvest the timber of old-growth forests might be problemmatic.)

Thank you for saying this, I was trying to come up with a polite way of doing so.

Earendil
Senior Apprentice
New Zealand New Zealand

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 14, 2010, 12:36:56 am »

I mean, what are some good careers/jobs for a Christian? Why would a pagan's choices be any more limited?

I think far more important factors would be one's aptitudes and interests, one's training and education, and a range of other things from temperament to what the job market in various fields are like to what part of the world one prefers to reside in and what type of lifestyle one wants.

Religion would be the last thing I worried about in the context of my career choice.

I really don't see what's wrong with choosing a job or career that somehow involves my religion. I don't feel limited in any way, it's just that it would be my passion to somehow be beneficial to my religion and/or beliefs through my work. I don't really understand why a lot of people seem to have a problem with this.
DeCarabas
Apprentice
Last Login:June 18, 2010, 12:07:28 pm

Religion: Kemetic/Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 14, 2010, 01:04:54 am »

I really don't see what's wrong with choosing a job or career that somehow involves my religion.

Maybe a distinction needs to be made here.  There's a difference between someone saying your career should be based on your religion, versus someone wanting a career that complements their spirituality, and speculating as to how the two can be mixed.  Instead of saying "what are some good jobs for a pagan," maybe it would have been better to say "what are some jobs that could involve my spirituality."
Earendil
Senior Apprentice
New Zealand New Zealand

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 14, 2010, 01:12:00 am »

Maybe a distinction needs to be made here.  There's a difference between someone saying your career should be based on your religion, versus someone wanting a career that complements their spirituality, and speculating as to how the two can be mixed.  Instead of saying "what are some good jobs for a pagan," maybe it would have been better to say "what are some jobs that could involve my spirituality."

Yeah thanks, that's more what I was meaning. Sorry for causing any confusion and thanks for all your answers!
Pythuna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 12:59:17 pm

Religion: Panentheism

Wherever you go, there you are.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 14, 2010, 03:48:44 am »

When I was teaching children about marine biology, the subject was so cool that every kid wanted to become a marine biologist.  I would try to explain to them that one didn't have to be a marine biologist to make a difference and save the whales; that one could be a janitor and use biodegradable products to help save the whales or be an accountant and turn off the lights when one leaves the room and recycle printer cartridges, which will help save the whales, etc.

My point is, everything you do should be inline with your beliefs and every job or career could be a good pagan job, depending on how you approach it.

Me ka pono~
Pythuna

“The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
-- Albert Einstein
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 14, 2010, 04:02:31 am »

Well I'm a gardener Smiley and I think it's a fab career. Bear this in mind if you think of a job in horticulture or agriculture - if you are working for someone else, their values might not agree with yours, so you might think it's important to work organically and you should only cut down trees when absolutely necessary. Employers (or clients even) which share those values will be extremely rare I'm afraid, mainly because organic, truly environmentally friendly horticulture or agriculture costs alot more time and money. So beware you may find yourself having to choose between your principles and paying your rent, if you work in this area  Undecided

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 14, 2010, 07:59:29 am »

Yeah thanks, that's more what I was meaning. Sorry for causing any confusion and thanks for all your answers!

For all intensive purposes, I think you worded your original question right. I didn't see any inferences meaning that one needs to have a job that expresses their spirituality. All I saw was a question asking for examples of such a practice being done. Maybe I was taking the question at face value, and not reading too into it. Tongue

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 14, 2010, 09:37:51 am »

IMO, most jobs can potentially mesh with your religious beliefs.  I work a desk job now, which doesn't sound as wonderful as becoming a holistic healer or some such, but I can make a positive difference in somebody's day by doing my job well and offer a sympathetic ear to patients who are having a tough time.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I suggest seeking out a job that fits your strengths and interests and then worry about how you can use it to reflect your spiritual inclinations. 

What sort of career do you want?  How can it be a reflection of what you believe and value?

- OpenHands

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 14, 2010, 10:44:31 am »

I don't think there's any single answer to this, but I do see it two ways - and neither of them are especially particular to Paganism, as they apply just as well to other religions

1) Avoiding jobs which would require you to go against your ethics. This is such a personal issue that it's hard to make general comments, and there are a lot of fields where the same basic skills could be fine, or could be seen as problematic.

Take sales, for example: high pressure sales for things people don't entirely *need* (or which would put them in major financial risk) might be uncomfortable or feel inappropriate - but one of my teachers was, for quite a while, an excellent sales rep for specific medical supplies to hospitals: something he felt okay about doing. And yet, both kinds of jobs basically use the same skills.

2) Finding jobs that allow you to do things that reflect your ethics and values. This is where I am - knowledge and information are important values of mine, and they're values that one of the deities I work with also values in a particular format. Being a librarian also supports all of that.

There's also the other part, which is that some people feel an ethical value to find ways to be self-supporting (or at least, so they *could* be if they had to be, even if they make a choice to do something else) This one matters to me, so it was important to find a career or job skills that could support me in reasonable security for the forseeable future.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)