The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 18, 2022, 04:47:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2022, 04:47:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What are some good careers or jobs for a Pagan?  (Read 18866 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: February 14, 2010, 01:35:32 pm »

I really don't see what's wrong with choosing a job or career that somehow involves my religion. I don't feel limited in any way, it's just that it would be my passion to somehow be beneficial to my religion and/or beliefs through my work. I don't really understand why a lot of people seem to have a problem with this.

I don't have a big problem with someone wanting a career that reflects their religion.  However...  I do think it's very limiting to decide that "a career that reflects my religion" has to fall into a specific category (or one of a few categories).  Sure, there are going to be things that directly conflict with your religious values, and those are jobs to be avoided, probably.  But outside of that...  I think it's less important to find something that falls into some specific range of categories that you or others consider "pagany", and more important to find a career that you enjoy and have a passion and an aptitude for, and then figure out how your beliefs can fit in with it.  That's what I'm not understanding--why focus on this one aspect of yourself when looking for a career, rather than trying to find something that fits you as a whole person?

...Or, "what OpenHands said", I guess.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #16: February 14, 2010, 01:43:12 pm »

Maybe a distinction needs to be made here.  There's a difference between someone saying your career should be based on your religion, versus someone wanting a career that complements their spirituality, and speculating as to how the two can be mixed.  Instead of saying "what are some good jobs for a pagan," maybe it would have been better to say "what are some jobs that could involve my spirituality."

The responses I've read don't seem at all confused on that issue.  What I'm seeing in the responses to the original question is not "we don't like being told that pagans have to have a certain kind of job", which is what I'd expect if people were interpreting the question as implying that one's career should be based on one's religion.  What I'm seeing is people responding to the question "what are some jobs that could involve my spirituality" by essentially saying, "Er...  pretty much anything, really."

(And I credited OpenHands with that in my own response along those lines because she happened to have phrased it in a way that specifically resonated with what I wanted to say--but looking back through the other responses, actually I think most of the responses in this thread have been very similar to that.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #17: February 14, 2010, 01:49:10 pm »

I don't really understand why a lot of people seem to have a problem with this.

I should add:  I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think most of the responses (with an exception here or there) seem to "have a problem" with what you're asking.  We just disagree with the way you're approaching finding a career.  Disagreement happens--it happens a lot around here.  It doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that different people have different opinions about things.  Wink

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 14, 2010, 02:56:39 pm »

I should add:  I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think most of the responses (with an exception here or there) seem to "have a problem" with what you're asking.  We just disagree with the way you're approaching finding a career.  Disagreement happens--it happens a lot around here.  It doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that different people have different opinions about things.  Wink

Yeah - I absolutely don't have a problem with it. My religious beliefs do play a role in my approach and perspectives in the volunteer work and job that I do, as well as in my mothering and all other aspects of my life. If my religion was separate from these things, it would be pointless to me, personally. (That's just me, I have nothing against it when people who have religion in a separate compartment than their job and/or family lives!)

My primary point, really, was that asking what jobs suit Pagans is WAY too general -- because an Asatru might find meaning where someone with Buddhist beliefs would be a fish out of water, and a Wiccan might thrive in an environment where a Discordian would not.

Melkor, knowing what your religion (or the primary ethics/beliefs that inform your journey) is can be helpful in getting suggestions for careers that are complementary to your spiritual path. Or, as my secondary point suggests, suggestions from the larger group of Pagans who may choose to approach this by bringing elements and the principles of their spirituality into a career that they are already drawn to.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 14, 2010, 07:19:07 pm »

The responses I've read don't seem at all confused on that issue.  What I'm seeing in the responses to the original question is not "we don't like being told that pagans have to have a certain kind of job", which is what I'd expect if people were interpreting the question as implying that one's career should be based on one's religion.  What I'm seeing is people responding to the question "what are some jobs that could involve my spirituality" by essentially saying, "Er...  pretty much anything, really."

(And I credited OpenHands with that in my own response along those lines because she happened to have phrased it in a way that specifically resonated with what I wanted to say--but looking back through the other responses, actually I think most of the responses in this thread have been very similar to that.)

*nods* I think folks are trying to phrase the same type of advice in different ways because there was concern that the OP wasn't seeing that it was meant as a different perspective rather than criticism.  I don't have a problem if someone wants to choose a career based on their religion.  I would just caution them that they might discover at some point that, while the chosen job meshes fabulously with their beliefs, it doesn't resonate so well in other areas. 

For example, maybe owning a health food store is someone's idea of the perfect *insert religion* job, but they really, really suck at running a business.  Perhaps they've got a greater aptitude for nursing or physical therapy.  The broader focus is essentially the same, but the skill sets are quite different.  This is where I point back to Jenett's comments because she phrased this much less clumsily.  So...erm, yes.  Smiley

- OpenHands

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 25, 2010, 08:23:03 pm »

I'm wondering what some good careers/jobs would be for a Pagan?

Other people have covered some of what I wanted to say - paganism is a huge and varied group of religions, religion doesn't have to limit your career choice, etc.

I do try to bring my job into my spirituality. More to the point, I'm working to bring both job and spirituality into the integrated whole I want my life to be. Part of this is using my talents and interests. I'm a graphic designer by career choice, and design can be used in a wide variety of fields and for a wide variety of companies. I honor Djehuty as the patron of my profession, particularly because I focus on typography and communicating information. I've also honored Seshat at work because I used to take photographs of architecture, and it was also part of making the foundation of my life true. I honor Wepwawet at work because He's helped me get jobs. And as I am a "creative", I honor Brighid in that creativity. Depending on what kind of company I end up working at, I may end up honoring Others related to my job.

I realized recently that I would ultimately like to work for an company or organization that helps people, possibly related to education in some way. (In the broadest possible sense of the word.) I see teaching and mentoring as part of way-opening, the work I do for Wepwawet. (And would do no matter what, really.) It would be excellent to be able to facilitate that work with graphic design. On the other hand, although I deeply, deeply respect good K-12 public school teachers, I *don't* feel a calling to do that. I'm pretty darn unsuitable, really. I've considered eventually becoming a graphic design professor, but that's a ways into the future. I'm certain I'll end up teaching *something* during my life, but I don't think it has to be my career.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: February 25, 2010, 09:24:48 pm »

I realized recently that I would ultimately like to work for an company or organization that helps people, possibly related to education in some way.

Just a thought when I read this:  Have you explored the idea of working in the communications department of an education advocacy organization?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 26, 2010, 11:39:28 am »

Just a thought when I read this:  Have you explored the idea of working in the communications department of an education advocacy organization?

You know, I hadn't thought about that, although I was definitely thinking about working at other nonprofits. I looked around for Chicago-area education advocacy organizations, and I didn't find any who currently needed designers, but I did find a cool marketing and design firm who specializes in nonprofits and specifically lists education advocacy orgs among their clients. So I'll be sending a letter of inquiry over there. Thanks for the idea!

darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 27, 2010, 03:36:21 pm »

I'm wondering what some good careers/jobs would be for a Pagan? Something that helps the environment or working at a natural health store, or Wiccan supply store or something like that. Any suggestions?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section btw, I didn't know where else to put it. Thanks!

Many of the Pagans I knew from university were studying sciences (most were Biochemistry and Biology) and one studied social work I'm sure he's working in London now in social housing. I work in the enzyme industry though I'm starting to look elsewhere.

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
Pythuna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 12:59:17 pm

Religion: Panentheism

Wherever you go, there you are.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 02, 2010, 03:10:38 am »

I'm wondering what some good careers/jobs would be for a Pagan? Something that helps the environment or working at a natural health store, or Wiccan supply store or something like that. Any suggestions?

Just also wanted to throw in that volunteer work is a good thing.  If your job/career isn't currently hitting the mark in what your life's tenets are, volunteering can answer that need.

It's always a good thing to get paid for one's time, but I don't think you'll ever get more than you will by giving your time for something you believe in.

Me ka pono~
Pythuna

“The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
-- Albert Einstein
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 02, 2010, 11:26:17 pm »

Sorry if this is in the wrong section btw, I didn't know where else to put it. Thanks!

I'm currently studying for a degree in Social Sciences, which at my university is the lead-in to the Master of Public Administration program, and hoping to start a part-time job soon for a nonprofit organization that works with at-risk youth, where I've done volunteer work in the past. Before I moved here, I was a nearly full-time volunteer with Head Start, a preschool program for disabled and underprivileged children, and had received certification as a substitute teacher for Head Start. The program I'm hoping to work in deals with environmental awareness among youth, and the educational aspect honors both Ceridwen and Brighid. Even more so, the environmental aspect honors Brighid by teaching the kids to care about the earth and about nature.

Here on St. Croix, there's a cultural reluctance to be the force behind a change, so while everyone acknowledges the problems in our system, no one does anything about it. There's also an attitude, particularly on campus, that if you're not fundamentalist Christian, you're nobody. So I honor Inanna in her aspect as a war goddess by being willing to stand up and fight for myself and for others. And because of my relationship with Mictecacihuatl, who's a goddess of death, I'm not afraid to go into some of the really dangerous neighborhoods, where the kids need me the most.

So I do think that the things I do now

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)