The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 19, 2022, 11:55:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2022, 11:55:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: In the witch’s closet  (Read 3767 times)
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: May 19, 2007, 07:27:12 pm »

Getreligion's blog does another piece on Wicca. Looks like Judy Harrow is posting in the comments section.
http://www.getreligion.org/?p=2423

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #1: May 19, 2007, 08:30:38 pm »

Getreligion's blog does another piece on Wicca. Looks like Judy Harrow is posting in the comments section.

I've actually seen a couple of names I've recognized from this (and other) forums in the comments.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 19, 2007, 09:02:57 pm »

I've actually seen a couple of names I've recognized from this (and other) forums in the comments.

Absent

**nods** I do, too, now that you mention it.

(btw...Randall has tried to email you a few times this week, but he's not sure he's getting through.)

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 30, 2021, 05:21:06 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 20, 2007, 12:25:09 am »

Grin
It flushed me out of lurk.  This was, in fact, the GetReligion moment I'd been waiting for since Lyric first put me onto it - not "waiting for to post" (though it turns out to be that, too) but "waiting to see happen".  They're not a news summary blog (though they get mistaken for one quite a bit), but rather a quality-of-journalism critiquing blog, so I haven't been bemoaning the lack of Pagan stories covered.

The article that's the subject of this entry (for those who haven't looked, it's that NY Times piece about broomcloseted Wiccans that everybody and hir familiar have been talking about the last couple of days) does bring up journalistic quality issues.  As I pointed out in my comment there, most of Pagandom is probably thrilled with such a "good" story - me, I think we're setting the bar way too low.  Beyond "not hostile, no witchcrap" - which has been Pagandom's standard of quality for nonPagan coverage for half a century - this article sucks.

I stuck to a couple of general points in my comment on GR, because I realized that, if I truly wanted to get my teeth into this one, the place to do it was my own blog.  I'll be getting to that when I'm finished Cauldroning - I hope I'll be able to complete and post it tonight (sometime in the middle of the night, for most of you) but I can be slow at composition, so it might not appear until tomorrow.  (While the NYT story and its flaws will be my timely showcase example, I'll be ranting about nonPagan coverage of Paganism, and the need for Pagans to raise our bar, in general.)

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 20, 2007, 11:10:51 am »

I saw you'd posted over there. I think this may have been the article I emailed them about last week. I've sent them a couple, so I'm not sure.

My complaint, and it's not GR's fault, is that every single article you see conflates Wicca and Witch and Pagan. Very frustrating, but I've sort of gotten used to it.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 20, 2007, 11:28:14 am »

The article / comments are interesting.

Actually, I like the site link more than just the single article.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: May 20, 2007, 11:59:41 am »

(btw...Randall has tried to email you a few times this week, but he's not sure he's getting through.)

No, he's not.  I've been on the watch, because sometimes emails sent through TC come to my inbox, and sometimes my junkbox, even though I switch them to the safe list every time they go there.

I know you guys don't like getting PMs, but if you don't mind sending them, I don't think I have any problem receiving them.  I don't always get the notification, but I always check the top of the screen where it says PMs for a number beside the heading.  That hasn't failed yet.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 20, 2007, 12:22:21 pm »

No, he's not.  I've been on the watch, because sometimes emails sent through TC come to my inbox, and sometimes my junkbox, even though I switch them to the safe list every time they go there.

I know you guys don't like getting PMs, but if you don't mind sending them, I don't think I have any problem receiving them.  I don't always get the notification, but I always check the top of the screen where it says PMs for a number beside the heading.  That hasn't failed yet.

Absent

OK. Let me point his head in this direction. Smiley

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: May 20, 2007, 06:23:17 pm »

Okay, I've send a PM.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 30, 2021, 05:21:06 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: May 21, 2007, 02:36:25 am »

I saw you'd posted over there. I think this may have been the article I emailed them about last week. I've sent them a couple, so I'm not sure.

My complaint, and it's not GR's fault, is that every single article you see conflates Wicca and Witch and Pagan. Very frustrating, but I've sort of gotten used to it.
The NYT article appears to have come out on the 16th, so it depends what you mean by "last week".

Not GR's fault, and only partially the fault of the journalists.  The vast majority of such articles involve interviews, and the reporters rely on the interviewee's definitions.  On the one hand, they certainly shouldn't be relying solely on that; but on the other hand, their supposition that the interviewee knows more about it than they (the reporter) do is not unreasonable and usually correct (in that the reporter usually knows even less than the Pop Pagan wanna-blessed-be s/he's interviewing).

I could write quite a bit more on the problems journalists face in reporting about Pagan religions - I feel less guilty about not getting to the LJ entry I promised (and not being likely to get to it for a while; my subconscious insists I have other priorities), since the point you make reminds me that there's a lot more to it than the flaws of that particular article, and the matter will still be there next week or next month.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)