The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 05:35:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 05:35:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Taking Up The Runes: A Complete Guide To Using Runes In Spells, Rituals, Divination, And Magic  (Read 3918 times) Average Rating: 4
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: February 16, 2010, 06:09:14 pm »

Title: Taking Up The Runes: A Complete Guide To Using Runes In Spells, Rituals, Divination, And Magic
Author(s): Diana L. Paxson
Publisher: Weiser Books
Publication Date: April 20, 2005
ISBN: 1578633257
ISBN-13: 978-1578633258
Current Price and More Info from Amazon

Description:
Although many of us first encountered runes in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, this sacred alphabet is by no means a fabrication for books or movies. Similar to Hebrew letters in the sense that each symbol contains a meaning that transcends its original function as a letter, the runes are practical, flexible, and effective symbols with a variety of uses.

Today, the best known application of rune lore is divination: chips or stones marked with runes are drawn, cast, or laid out in patterns like tarot cards. In Taking Up the Runes, Paxson delves into the ancient historical meaning of each rune and explains their contemporary uses and meanings. We discover that the real power of runes comes from inside ourselves when we find the wisdom and power within each symbol and internalize them.

Special Notes:
none

Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron.

Discussion and reviews of this book are welcome in this thread. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 16, 2010, 10:10:27 pm »

Taking Up The Runes: A Complete Guide To Using Runes In Spells, Rituals, Divination, And Magic

I read this a couple of years ago, after taking rune and oracular seidh workshops with the author.  I liked the book and keep it to refer to on the rare occasions when I want to try using runes for divination.  IIRC, it gives a good overview of each rune's meaning(s), with references to a variety of sources.  Each rune's section includes ancient meanings, modern meanings, and suggestions for interpreation.  There is also a lengthy section on rituals, complete with music and other details.

That said, I understand that Paxson is a bit controversial within the Norse community.  IIRC, she takes a somewhat less reconstructionist view than other outspoken Asatruars and Heathens, relying a bit more on UPG than others might be comfortable with.  However, she seemed to me to be pretty clear about what is attested in the lore and what is UPG.

Note that I am NOT Asatruar or Heathen, so my opinion on this is not that well informed.   Smiley

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 17, 2010, 04:46:45 am »

Note that I am NOT Asatruar or Heathen, so my opinion on this is not that well informed.   Smiley
It helped me.  Grin (not reconstructionist) I was just thinking the other day about looking for a books on runes. Looks like I already found it.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 19, 2010, 09:21:59 am »

I gave a little review of this book on A Rune Thread in the Asatru and Heathenry SIG:

I've also read Paxson's Taking Up the Runes. It is definitely NOT for the hardcore lore-whore, but I wasn't offended by it. There are more scholarly works out there, but I got Paxon's book because she provides a snippet of several author's interpretations, she incorporates basic cultural and other mythology info with each rune, the book is well organized, and there are nifty guided meditations in the back if you're into that.

So I agree with the others, a decent book if you're not reconstructionist. As far a general New Age rune books go, this is far better than most. The rituals in the back ARE unapologetically Wiccatru, though. But in the end, it's a good middle ground for non-recons between the historical books and the New Age crap.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.