The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 01:14:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 01:14:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: In your opinion, is it disrespectful to the element of fire to blow out candles?  (Read 14151 times)
Earendil
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 31, 2010, 05:07:45 am
New Zealand New Zealand

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 16, 2010, 06:50:33 pm »

Personally, I do blow out my candles, though I have read many sources which say this is disrespectful. Do you know why this is?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 16, 2010, 07:13:08 pm »

Personally, I do blow out my candles, though I have read many sources which say this is disrespectful. Do you know why this is?

I've heard this in a few traditions. (It's not part of my beliefs, however - I blow them out and have had no indications from any deity or spirit that it is inappropriate.) One faith's explanation that I've heard is the Jewish tradition that is something like the sound of a candle being blown out is the same sound of the name of an angel, and it is disrespectful. Obviously that may not apply to a Pagan path at all, but I found it interesting.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 16, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »

I don't think that it's disrespectful, but I don't do it either. Fire has an important symbolic role to play, as well as more practical/pragmatic roles. It is not always present in an obvious manner in an urban environment. I find the mindfulness of not extinguishing a flame, which contributes so much to my life, with the breath of my life. It's really about the mindfulness as much as what I am being mindful of.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 16, 2010, 07:41:22 pm »

I blow out my candles too. I'm a poor college student - I need to make those candles last. Letting them burn down wastes candles.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 16, 2010, 07:52:01 pm »

I blow out my candles too. I'm a poor college student - I need to make those candles last. Letting them burn down wastes candles.

Not to mention causes a fire hazard in dorms that were built at least 50 years ago and whose smoke alarms wail if you try to make toast.  Wink

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 16, 2010, 07:54:31 pm »

Not to mention causes a fire hazard in dorms that were built at least 50 years ago and whose smoke alarms wail if you try to make toast.  Wink

I'm living in the newest dorm on campus, which is /very/ old. Last year I lived in one of the oldest dorms, dating back to 1885. Insulated with.... horse hair. 47-second burn time, so I'm told. I am quite careful with candles. XD

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 16, 2010, 08:02:53 pm »

Now that's a spiritual practice I can get behind!

Not to sound ignorant, and definitely not to offend anyone, but is there a more spiritually sound way to put out a candle? I'm not in my home all day, and I really feel uncomfortable leaving my candles burning without me near it.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 16, 2010, 08:04:54 pm »

Last year I lived in one of the oldest dorms, dating back to 1885. Insulated with.... horse hair.

Shocked

I see from your profile that you're near Philly, Ellen. Where exactly, if you don't mind sharing? I went to school in Philly and I am vaguely familiar with the surrounding state and area.

Finn
High Adept Member

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 16, 2010, 08:05:52 pm »

Not to sound ignorant, and definitely not to offend anyone, but is there a more spiritually sound way to put out a candle? I'm not in my home all day, and I really feel uncomfortable leaving my candles burning without me near it.

Maybe use a candle snuffer?

Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 16, 2010, 08:16:46 pm »

Maybe use a candle snuffer?

That's what I would suggest -- people who don't blow out candles don't necessarily just let them burn down (although for some candle magick that can be an important aspect of the spell, but that might be a bit off topic) but use a candle snuffer, or perhaps even pinch the flame out.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 16, 2010, 08:37:35 pm »

That's what I would suggest -- people who don't blow out candles don't necessarily just let them burn down (although for some candle magick that can be an important aspect of the spell, but that might be a bit off topic) but use a candle snuffer, or perhaps even pinch the flame out.

Sweet! Thanks for the tips!  Tongue

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 16, 2010, 09:16:35 pm »

When I started learning about Wicca, I was told I shouldn't blow out the candles, but because if you are doing a spell, the energy spreads and the spell doesn't work. Nothing about dis/respecting fire. (I personally don't believe what I was told, but I'm already used to putting out the candles without blowing them.)

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 16, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »

I've only heard that it is disrespectful to the fire spirits.  I have no idea why or which fire spirits they were talking about. 

I was actually asked to use a candle snuffer and not blow out my candles.  One possible reason someone said when I mentioned this on TC is that you can blow melted wax off the candle and on the table; you don't want a mess. 

Maybe this is a way to keep the shrine clean? 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 16, 2010, 09:25:32 pm »

I had read somewhere, early on, that it was disrepectful to fire spirits to extinguish it with another element, in this case air. 

I've yet to figure out how to extinguish fire without using another element (a snuffer is made of metal = earth.)  One could pinch it out, I suppose, but my fingers cringe at the thought. 

I usually use a snuffer for practical reasons.  And because I like them.
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 16, 2010, 09:30:41 pm »

I've yet to figure out how to extinguish fire without using another element (a snuffer is made of metal = earth.)  One could pinch it out, I suppose, but my fingers cringe at the thought. 

To work with metal you need fire, so to me metal = fire. How do you associate it with earth?

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)