The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 12:18:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 12:18:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: In your opinion, is it disrespectful to the element of fire to blow out candles?  (Read 14150 times)
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 16, 2010, 09:57:07 pm »

To work with metal you need fire, so to me metal = fire. How do you associate it with earth?

Metal comes from earth.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 16, 2010, 10:02:29 pm »

Metal comes from earth.

Oh. Duh. *facepalm* Sorry, it seems I wasn't thinking.

Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 16, 2010, 11:05:54 pm »

I've yet to figure out how to extinguish fire without using another element (a snuffer is made of metal = earth.)  One could pinch it out, I suppose, but my fingers cringe at the thought. 

I tried putting one out that way a couple days ago for the first time! I thought, "Hey, I've seen people do this lots of times and not get burned." So I licked my fingertips and tried to pinch it, and it's hot! Unless I'm doing it wrong, I don't think I'll try using my fingers again!

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 16, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »

One could pinch it out, I suppose, but my fingers cringe at the thought. 

Licking the tips of your fingers before pinching out a candle takes care of this. The contact with the flame is extremely brief and the moisture on your fingers is sufficient to insulate your skin from the heat.

But then some would say that that's using water to put out the fire (yeah, I've heard that.)

I've also heard once or twice someone taking the snuffer as using air to extinguish a flame by means of deprivation, and therefore one shouldn't use a snuffer and the only acceptable means of putting out a candle at all is to either let it burn all the way down or pinch it with your bare fingers.

Seriously, I think people take things a little far. I also think that the fire spirits are intelligent enough to understand that sometimes the flame needs to be extinguished and that the means of extinguishing are not intended to be an affront to the fire.

Personally, I prefer my own view of the elements, which precludes all this business about insulting spirits by means of performing a perfectly ordinary, needed action.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 17, 2010, 12:23:14 am »

I see from your profile that you're near Philly, Ellen. Where exactly, if you don't mind sharing? I went to school in Philly and I am vaguely familiar with the surrounding state and area.

Ha, not at all. Anyone who's been following my posts has probably been able to figure out where I go to school anyway (girls' school near Philly with a great classical archaeology program with the patron Athena!). I'm at Bryn Mawr. Wink

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: February 17, 2010, 01:29:02 am »

To work with metal you need fire, so to me metal = fire. How do you associate it with earth?
Because ore is stone.
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 17, 2010, 01:33:43 am »

Oh. Duh. *facepalm* Sorry, it seems I wasn't thinking.
And I didn't notice there was another page of responses before I typed that last post.  Sorry about that!

The "metal forged by fire" explanation does show why some people would find a snuffer more acceptable that breath, though.  So thanks for clearing up that mystery for me!
Tyto
Apprentice
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 11:23:19 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 17, 2010, 09:03:41 am »

I tried putting one out that way a couple days ago for the first time! I thought, "Hey, I've seen people do this lots of times and not get burned." So I licked my fingertips and tried to pinch it, and it's hot! Unless I'm doing it wrong, I don't think I'll try using my fingers again!

You'll get used to it.  I don't know if it's building a callous or just pain tolerance, but you get used to it.  Of course, I've been sewing, playing guitar and cooking irresponsibly for years, so I already have almost no feeling in my fingers  Tongue.

Seriously, I think people take things a little far. I also think that the fire spirits are intelligent enough to understand that sometimes the flame needs to be extinguished and that the means of extinguishing are not intended to be an affront to the fire.

Personally, I prefer my own view of the elements, which precludes all this business about insulting spirits by means of performing a perfectly ordinary, needed action.

Yeah, it is the 21st century.  I understand lot's of paths require that the hearthfires burn constantly.  That's a great tradition, but I don't even have a hearth; I have an electric stove.  And I'm not leaving it on all day, not when I have to work and run errands.

Traditions in all faiths change and adapt over time; my dad's church uses Saltines and grape drink when they do a mass.  I guess since most of our faiths have had a ~1500 year gap since they were last widely practiced that change and adaptation is more jarring and less gradual.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: February 17, 2010, 09:20:18 am »

Yeah, it is the 21st century.  I understand lot's of paths require that the hearthfires burn constantly.  That's a great tradition, but I don't even have a hearth; I have an electric stove.  And I'm not leaving it on all day, not when I have to work and run errands.

Not to mention the fact that most "keep the fire going" religions had that because the fire going out was a catastrophe.  It's not really the same thing when you can buy a pack of lighters at the nearest store for a couple of bucks.

HEAT is still life, in a lot of ways - but the fire itself?  Not so much.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: February 17, 2010, 02:16:11 pm »

Personally, I do blow out my candles, though I have read many sources which say this is disrespectful. Do you know why this is?

Meh, I'm not sure the element of fire is even aware enough to grok disresepctful.....

My Wiccan practice does not prohibit blowing out candles.

For myself, I pinch them out, but that is only because I can't stand the smell of the smoke coming off of the candle as the wick dies down. Pinched out candles give off very little smoke.

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #25: February 17, 2010, 04:04:34 pm »

Ha, not at all. Anyone who's been following my posts has probably been able to figure out where I go to school anyway (girls' school near Philly with a great classical archaeology program with the patron Athena!). I'm at Bryn Mawr. Wink

Lol, my public generic university (northeastern illinois university) is on Bryn Mawr drive... So in a loose way we kinda go to the same place... Yeah, see how much I've learned at school.

My school doesn't have any policy about burning flames. With that said, it's a commuter school, but I did a couple very small burnt offerings last year, and didn't get in any trouble. Then again, it was outside, and night time too...

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #26: February 17, 2010, 05:25:22 pm »

Perhaps if one is worried about offending the element of fire by blowing it out, simply thanking the fire before you blow it out would be helpful? "I thank you, element of fire, for what you have provided, and now with element of air, I say farewell with all respect" or whatever words work for your beliefs and path?

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Wintermoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 15, 2011, 09:43:26 pm

Religion: spiritual atheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: February 17, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »

For myself, I pinch them out, but that is only because I can't stand the smell of the smoke coming off of the candle as the wick dies down. Pinched out candles give off very little smoke.

This is the only reason I pinch my candles out. I've found if I lick my fingers I hardly feel the heat, and if I let it smoke it ruins the fragrance from all the time I left it burning. I have a strong elemental aspect to my faith but I figure it's not like my one candle is going to affect the whole of the element. I guess you could argure it's symbolic...but I'm more of a practical girl.

~Vivian

You can't take the sky from me.

"I get really distracted by works of fiction. Probably because you don't have to make any decisions." ~my sister

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." ~Mark Twain
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #28: February 18, 2010, 05:13:54 am »

Meh, I'm not sure the element of fire is even aware enough to grok disresepctful.....

That's pretty much where I'm at with it.  (I don't do a lot of magical or elemental work these days anyway, though, so it's not a question I have to deal with much.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #29: February 18, 2010, 08:24:20 am »

Yeah...and even if the elements are fully aware, it seems that thinking this type of behavior offends them or that they even have an opinion on it assumes that the elements think like humans.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)