The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 20, 2021, 07:11:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2021, 07:11:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: In your opinion, is it disrespectful to the element of fire to blow out candles?  (Read 14154 times)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: February 18, 2010, 09:24:53 am »

Yeah...and even if the elements are fully aware, it seems that thinking this type of behavior offends them or that they even have an opinion on it assumes that the elements think like humans.

Honestly, I think it's pernicious nonsense, and I wish I knew where people got it from so I could go slap the source.

Fires burn.  Fires also go out.  Sometimes they go out because of wind, because they got wet, because something fell on them, because they run out of fuel, etc.  All of these are perfectly ordinary reasons for fires to go out.  If 'the element of fire' is offended by them, well, aside from 'the element of fire is an idiot out to borrow offense all the time', this means that 'the element of fire' is basically perpetually gratuitously miffed because it happens constantly.  If the elements are conscious, expecting them to be irked by how they actually manifest in the world is ... kind of messed up.

The common means to put out fires mimic the ordinary "natural" means to put out fires in pretty much all particulars: wind, dampness, crushed/suppressed.  These cannot be intrinsically offensive, per the above; so we're left with 'something about humans doing it is offensive' as a potential explanation.  But the only thing that's given as 'offensive' in this particular thing is 'wind', with no reason for it.  Further, the fire would not be in that place at all without human intervention, so human intervention to remove it strikes me at least as perfectly ordinary.

(This is entirely aside from whether fire for ritual purposes might require particular treatment for the purposes of the ritual.)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: February 18, 2010, 12:45:39 pm »

Yeah...and even if the elements are fully aware, it seems that thinking this type of behavior offends them or that they even have an opinion on it assumes that the elements think like humans.

LOL. I just realised, if blowing out a candle could be disrespectful....what the heck would they "think" about dousing the campfire? Smoky the Bear, bane of the fire elements.....

The above moment of sillyness was not in any way intended to belittle or insult, and if your (you in general, not you Collinsky) relationship to the elements and elementals is of a more personal and delicate nature, that is just fine. Mine is, as can be seen, a little more on the pragmatic side. YMMV

Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #32: February 18, 2010, 01:08:23 pm »

One faith's explanation that I've heard is the Jewish tradition that is something like the sound of a candle being blown out is the same sound of the name of an angel, and it is disrespectful. Obviously that may not apply to a Pagan path at all, but I found it interesting.

I'm Jewish and have never heard this before.  Do you have a source?  It is tradition not to blow out Hannukkah candles or Yahrtzeit candles, but I hadn't heard that explanation before.

Sperran
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #33: February 18, 2010, 06:50:47 pm »

I'm Jewish and have never heard this before.  Do you have a source?  It is tradition not to blow out Hannukkah candles or Yahrtzeit candles, but I hadn't heard that explanation before.

Sperran

My BIL told me this is why they didn't blow out their Shabbos candle. I found a quick link, and it seems to indicate that that is a Kabbalistic belief. http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/106/Q1/ A few other reasonings are given as well, that I hadn't heard before.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
MidSummer RagDolly
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2011, 11:27:44 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: February 18, 2010, 07:31:24 pm »

Personally, I do blow out my candles, though I have read many sources which say this is disrespectful. Do you know why this is?

I read somewhere that if you blow the candle out you're blowing the magic away.

Personally I don't understand that. I blow my candles out with no fear of losing my energy.

Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war, love is a growing up. -James Baldwin

Forever and a day <3

Blog:
http://midsummerragdolly.wordpress.com/
Shadowolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 21, 2011, 12:05:12 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: February 18, 2010, 11:32:18 pm »

Honestly, I think it's pernicious nonsense, and I wish I knew where people got it from so I could go slap the source.
 Further, the fire would not be in that place at all without human intervention, so human intervention to remove it strikes me at least as perfectly ordinary.   
I am wondering if the same source has a repsectful procedure for starting the fire?  (is it ok to use a Bic lighter?)   Please slap them for me too !                                                     I feel that respect/disrespect depends on intent.   If you deliberately do something that you feel is disrespectfull,  it will be taken that way, otherwise it will not be.
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: February 19, 2010, 12:23:50 am »

Not to mention causes a fire hazard in dorms that were built at least 50 years ago and whose smoke alarms wail if you try to make toast.  Wink

I use a snuffer, blowing out the candle runs the risk of hot wax splattering everywhere.  Hurts if it lands on you, pain in the ass to get out of cloth.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)