The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 03, 2020, 08:09:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 03, 2020, 08:09:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Am I doing it wrong? (Magic and headaches)  (Read 5680 times)
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 18, 2010, 02:52:29 am »

Ok, so I'm more into "low" magic, as it were -- hearth/hedge/kitchenwitch type stuff. I'm not big on ceremony or ritual.

The only ritualized magic or formal rituals, period, I do are in groups -- Witchcamp, coven (I just got welcomed into a local coven; it's kinda cool -- my first coven experience), or the local Wiccan temple. I've found that I feel more power when I do ritualized magic than non-ritualized, but the results are no different.

One major difference? I get a huge tension headache after any ritualized magic.

After Witchcamp -- which was 7 days straight of one to two rituals plus magic per day, I had a tension headache that lasted for four days. Nothing got rid of it except time.

After coven this past dark moon, I had a two-day tension headache. Again, nothing worked to get rid of it.

I don't know why this is. Anyone else experience terrible headaches after doing magic (ritualized or no)? Any suggestions on how to stop it? (Because I'd like to do more ritualized magic without the fear of Worst. Headache. Ever. hanging over my...er, head.)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 18, 2010, 07:43:16 am »

I don't know why this is. Anyone else experience terrible headaches after doing magic (ritualized or no)? Any suggestions on how to stop it? (Because I'd like to do more ritualized magic without the fear of Worst. Headache. Ever. hanging over my...er, head.)

I had issues with headaches when I was first learning (though in my case, migraines, which are different than tension headaches). Better personal energy management around grounding and centering helped a great deal, and I haven't had a problem in years.

First, I'd talk to the coven leaders - they may spot something you're doing in person that you don't realise (change in posture, muscle tension, etc.) that might help.

One thing about tension headaches (which I also get periodically) is that they can be triggered by tension, but they can also be triggered by a *release* of tension for many people. I wonder if this is part of what's happening - especially given the Witch Camp bit.

I'd also look in detail at exactly where and when the headaches hit - do they begin during the ritual itself? Right after you're done?  The next morning? For me, some ritual experiences go a lot better afterwards if I'm particular about what I eat and drink (Gatorade helps in some cases, and a combination of dense protein, lots of water, and eventually something chocolatey.) Sleep - and sleep quality - is also important for me.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 18, 2010, 11:04:25 pm »

I had issues with headaches when I was first learning (though in my case, migraines, which are different than tension headaches). Better personal energy management around grounding and centering helped a great deal, and I haven't had a problem in years.

I was thinking it was probably an energy management problem, actually. I haven't really been strict with myself about practicing working with energy. I just sort of do what I do when I do it, you know?

I really should start making it a *practice*.

First, I'd talk to the coven leaders - they may spot something you're doing in person that you don't realise (change in posture, muscle tension, etc.) that might help.

Next time I'm around them I'll ask. I try to be fairly aware of my posture, during ritual especially, but I'm also aware that people (ie, my parents) constantly tell me to straighten up and not slouch so much, so it's very possible I'm standing or sitting in a way that would cause such problems.

One thing about tension headaches (which I also get periodically) is that they can be triggered by tension, but they can also be triggered by a *release* of tension for many people. I wonder if this is part of what's happening - especially given the Witch Camp bit.

That would also make sense...I didn't know tension headaches could be triggered by a release of tension, which is why I was so confused -- I usually feel quite relaxed after ritual. I'm a very tense person naturally. Witch Camp was the most relaxing atmosphere I'd ever been in.

I'd also look in detail at exactly where and when the headaches hit - do they begin during the ritual itself? Right after you're done?  The next morning? For me, some ritual experiences go a lot better afterwards if I'm particular about what I eat and drink (Gatorade helps in some cases, and a combination of dense protein, lots of water, and eventually something chocolatey.) Sleep - and sleep quality - is also important for me.

With Witch Camp the headache started on the drive home, about half an hour after we took down the circle that had encompassed the campground for the week. With the coven ritual it happened the next morning, I think.

After the coven ritual we had stew with bannock and...not sure what the beverage was. I can't remember what I ate after Witch Camp, but it was probably snack food one would find in a gas station (bit of a drive back to "civilization" afterward).

Thank you for your response, Jenett. You've given me some things to think about and actually do, which is very helpful. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 20, 2010, 12:40:40 am »

You might not be grounding enough after the rituals, or trying to shove too much into one day. Try to find some alone time after a major working and let go of any unreleased energy - plus getting away from everyone else's vibes can help, too. If you're afraid of seeming too conspicuous, just go for a little walk and reconnect with the earth under your feet.

darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 27, 2010, 03:24:53 pm »

I get them alot when I've finished 'low' magick I usually have to work with crystals afterwards to feel better.

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
sally803
Last Login:May 16, 2010, 11:34:40 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 16, 2010, 11:16:02 pm »

Ok, so I'm more into "low" magic, as it were -- hearth/hedge/kitchenwitch type stuff. I'm not big on ceremony or ritual.

The only ritualized magic or formal rituals, period, I do are in groups -- Witchcamp, coven (I just got welcomed into a local coven; it's kinda cool -- my first coven experience), or the local Wiccan temple. I've found that I feel more power when I do ritualized magic than non-ritualized, but the results are no different.

After Witchcamp -- which was 7 days straight of one to two rituals plus magic per day, I had a tension headache that lasted for four days. Nothing got rid of it except time.

After coven this past dark moon, I had a two-day tension headache. Again, nothing worked to get rid of it.

I had the same problem. I couldn't work it out it was everytime i worked magick. I ground centred nothing helped. When i joined the Golden dawn and started raisng energy i realized where id gone wrong. If you use your own energy and you don't tap into another source you wear you own personal energy out. Learn the kabblistic cross since learning that i don't have a problem. You could then change the words if you don't like hebrew:)
sally803
Last Login:May 16, 2010, 11:34:40 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 16, 2010, 11:22:06 pm »

I had the same problem. I couldn't work it out it was everytime i worked magick. I grounded,ate-that only helped alittle bit. When i joined the Golden dawn and started raisng energy i realized where i'dd gone wrong. If you use your own energy and you don't tap into another source you wear you own personal energy out. Its grounding centring and learning to use another energy source. I Learnt the kabblistic cross since learning that i don't have a problem. You could then change the words if you don't like hebrew:)
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 17, 2010, 01:08:57 am »

Someone else mentioned this, but I wanted to add that my after ritual headaches were usually an indication of low energy. My cure? Learn to move and harness and use the energy better. I use mediation and tai chi. I suspect yoga, some forms of martial arts or other trance work would work as well.

Also, always take a moment to eat something after a heavy ritual, whole grains and protein of some sort really help ground the body, and can steady fluctuating energy fields.

tinapo85
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 02, 2011, 12:52:04 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Tina Palmer

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 17, 2010, 02:23:16 pm »

I used to occasionally get headaches, but usually I would be exhausted and jittery. It is probably a similar problem, different symptom. Chocolate helps.

I don't know why, but it does.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 17, 2010, 10:25:48 pm »

When you focus, do you think maybe you might be clenching your scalp/ head/ sinus area?  I do the same thing and it took doing foot to head relaxation meditations to realize I was doing it.  In 'projecting' out the top of your head it is really easy to clench that spot. 

What can feel like a tension head ache might be a fatigue one!

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)