The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 15, 2019, 12:17:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 15, 2019, 12:17:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What does having a patron deity mean to you?  (Read 6508 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 22, 2007, 09:08:09 pm »

That would be excellent.

(Oh!  And, Juni, I just realized I never got back to you about the stuff you sent me on your path.  I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to neglect you!  I read it and was impressed but meant to go back and look at it more in depth before responding.  Then my life went insane.  Roll Eyes)

It's alright! Life gets that way. I believe I've got a bit more worked out/adjusted since I sent it all to you, so let me know if you're interested. (Mostly calendar stuff, but I have a weekly ritual (woohoo, one whole ritual Roll Eyes Tongue) and some deity tribe stuff.)

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 27, 2007, 09:41:59 am »

So those of you who have a patron diety or dieties, especially those devoted to Brighid, would you be willing to share?

Here's the perspective of a very soft polytheist: There's one particular deity I'm inexorably drawn to; there are particular aspects of life and the universe over which he holds sway, and, considering the kind of person I am, that makes me definitely one of his creatures.

But I'm not dedicated to him, and I embrace other facets of myself that connect me to other deities. I freely call on whichever of my gods I need. This is easy for me, since all my gods are from the same pantheon, so I'm just turning to different members of the family at different times. They have rivalries, but that has never extended to me: I've never been expected to "choose sides", if you will, or be exclusive to any one of them.

I am dedicated to a deity, but since She is the immanent goddess of which all my other gods and the entire universe are a living part, that doesn't limit me much.

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 13, 2007, 07:36:45 pm »

Exactly. Don't make any promises that you are unsure of, and if you are devoting yourself to a deity for life, remember it is for life. The gods tend to take promises very seriously; I don't know how Brighid feels about it, but I'm certain I wouldn't make any promise to her or any other deity lightly.

Eventually I'll be able to stop apologising for coming into conversations later - at least until the end of august when we go to BC again Smiley
But anyway... what Dania said.

It took me a long time to decide to actually commit and devote myself to tM, because it was such a  big, permanent, and scary, thing. Since I did though, I've never regretted it, even if life has been such that there are times it has taken... less centre stage? ... than other times. There are many things I'm still working on, and working on working out but so far... it's worked out ok for all the parts that have been a manic rollercoaster Wink

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 14, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »

So those of you who have a patron diety or dieties, especially those devoted to Brighid, would you be willing to share?

Hmmm.  Well, I have deities I'm dedicated to and deities I'm devoted to. 

Although I serve many deities; they only come to me if Aset gives them permission to do so.  In a way a friend of mine put it, in my case, Aset owns

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 16, 2007, 05:56:04 am »

I understand it's going to be different for each diety and each worshipper, but I thought maybe learning what other people have experienced might give me some idea of what to expect.

I am speaking completely from UPG here:

My patron created me, or at the very least had a major hand in it. To be truthful, I’m still a bit confused; I have weird mixed feelings that he might not have been the only one involved. Regardless, I truly believe that I have been ‘his’ since the inception of my being. It took a lot for me to realize it and feel comfortable acknowledging it. But for me, it simply exists. There was never really a choice. The only choice I had was whether or not I accepted and acknowledged it. I am ‘owned’. And to be honest, as scary as I used to think that was, I’m okay with it now.

I have to be, because he won’t let me forget it. Even when I went on an extended hiatus from him with another god from the same pantheon, he showed up in a dream and very pointedly reminded me that I was still ‘his’. But to be honest, I sometimes wonder whether he does that because he doesn’t want me to forget about him or if he does it because he knows I need to feel that he hasn’t forgotten me. I do get ‘homework’ to do on a regular basis. In fact, most of my life has been shaped by ‘assignments’ that I, in some cases, didn’t even realize were coming from him.

I can choose not to acknowledge him, and there have been times when I have fallen out of contact with him, but when I do, the only word I have for what I feel like inside is ‘soulless’. It brings to mind something a Christian friend of mine once told me, that the initial concepts of hell were of a cold place that symbolized distance and separation from god, the worst punishment of all. I can kind of sympathize with that. It would be horrible and devastating if I was forever separated from the rest of the pantheon, but it would be a literal hell (in the soul-chilling sense) if I was forever separated from my patron, even if I still had the rest of the pantheon. To lose him would be to lose the essence of my being.

To me, that’s what makes him ‘different’ from the others. But that is something that has always been, so I consider it something different from being "devoted" to a god. I have devoted myself to him, but he is not exclusive in that. There are other gods who can claim my devotion as well. But when I say patron, what I really mean is that unique relationship with him that I don’t share with other gods.

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 16, 2007, 06:32:46 am »

To me, that’s what makes him ‘different’ from the others. But that is something that has always been, so I consider it something different from being "devoted" to a god. I have devoted myself to him, but he is not exclusive in that. There are other gods who can claim my devotion as well. But when I say patron, what I really mean is that unique relationship with him that I don’t share with other gods.

I really liked your post. 

It reminded me of a message I channelled from Aset:

Spoken Into Being

How you know Me
Is in your mind
In your thoughts
I am Greater--more vast
Than all your thoughts and all your musings
Put together
How We made you
Each of you
Is by your Ren
Your True Name
Your True Self
Each part of Us
Is in you
In spades
In degrees
Some more predominant than Others
Of precious Energy
Spoken into Being
At the moment of your conception

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 16, 2007, 12:45:50 pm »

I can choose not to acknowledge him, and there have been times when I have fallen out of contact with him, but when I do, the only word I have for what I feel like inside is ‘soulless’. It brings to mind something a Christian friend of mine once told me, that the initial concepts of hell were of a cold place that symbolized distance and separation from god, the worst punishment of all. I can kind of sympathize with that. It would be horrible and devastating if I was forever separated from the rest of the pantheon, but it would be a literal hell (in the soul-chilling sense) if I was forever separated from my patron, even if I still had the rest of the pantheon. To lose him would be to lose the essence of my being.

I loved your thoughts on this. I have had similar experiences! Anpu has been with me since I was a small child. I didn't know who He was then, but i knew Him. As I got older, He came and went - during the periods He was not present, I felt empty, like a part of me was missing. It was during these times that I searched for a new religion, not knowing what it was I felt like I was missing. When Aset showed me that I was Anpu's it was like coming home.

Now things have changed. He is not Dad - that is Set. But Anpu is my Beloved, in every sense. He is the other half of my heart, the quiet p[art of my soul. And when I go on hiatus from Him due to work stress (happens periodically), I feel like a part of my soul is empty, gone. When He is closer (I don't think He leaves during these periods so much as I withdraw. there have been times that He stepped back, which broke my heart. but when He came back, I learned it was a necessary break - I needed to learn to face certain very difficult and sometimes frightening situations on my own, to stop leaning on others for help and comfort. He wanted to show me that I had my own strength), I feel whole, *right.*

So I can't say Anpu is my patron, although that is a good term. I claim to be his devotee, but like you said, I can also be devoted to other gods. Basically, I am Anpu's. That is the best way to describe it. I belong to Him, and that is a good thing! Without Anpu, I am firmly convinced I wouldn't exist today. Not that I think He created me per se, but He has always been with me.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)