The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2020, 11:34:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 11:34:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ritual Robe  (Read 2316 times)
mandy1216
Journeyman
Last Login:February 15, 2011, 02:13:39 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 23, 2010, 03:26:52 pm »

I need a ritual robe. I don't have a sewing machine right now, otherwise, yes, I would make my own. I want something simple, made of natural materials, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?

Thanks All,

Mandy

Jim Halpert:     We didn't play many video games in Scranton. Instead we'd do stuff like.. uh, Pam and I would sometimes hum the same high pitched note and try to get Dwight to make an appointment with an ear doctor. And, uh, Pam called it... Pretendinitis.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 23, 2010, 06:06:05 pm »

I need a ritual robe. I don't have a sewing machine right now, otherwise, yes, I would make my own. I want something simple, made of natural materials, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

If you're willing to hand-sew, there're a couple of easy options that just require straight seams (and maybe buttons or ribbons for closing) based on Greek chiton styles. If you pick your fabric and line it up right, you often only have to sew the sides. (For example, I'm 60" tall, so a 60" width piece of fabric bloused over a bit gives me plenty of room, and I can use the selvedge edges for the top and bottom. Just sew up the sides, which is pretty fast and not fancy stitching.)

Other than that - you might look around through the more SCA focused renaissance clothing folks. There's a number of simple medieval outfits that are slightly fancier than a t-tunic, but not very expensive.

I've never ordered from these folks, but they've got a wide range of items, their prices are very reasonable for what you're getting (given the cost of fabric these days!) and they're happy to do pure cotton as opposed to poly-cotton blend: http://www.garbtheworld.com

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
mandy1216
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 23, 2010, 11:00:11 pm »

I've never ordered from these folks, but they've got a wide range of items, their prices are very reasonable for what you're getting (given the cost of fabric these days!) and they're happy to do pure cotton as opposed to poly-cotton blend: http://www.garbtheworld.com

Thank you!

Jim Halpert:     We didn't play many video games in Scranton. Instead we'd do stuff like.. uh, Pam and I would sometimes hum the same high pitched note and try to get Dwight to make an appointment with an ear doctor. And, uh, Pam called it... Pretendinitis.
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 24, 2010, 02:00:33 am »

Any suggestions?

Thanks All,

Mandy
I've been there before, without a sewing machine and painstakingly hand sewed one that I don't use. The material is relatively cheap, you can pick that up, take the measurements yourself,and maybe offer a small fee to someone that has a machine to stitch it up for you. (Of course this helps if you know someone that knows what it's for, and has made them before) Recommended materials are wool(Aries/Ram), or cotton, as wool gets too hot indoors. This is a good format to use as well....http://www.servantsofthelight.org/knowledge/makingrobes.html
Best of luck

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
mandy1216
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 24, 2010, 11:16:02 pm »

I've been there before, without a sewing machine and painstakingly hand sewed one that I don't use. The material is relatively cheap, you can pick that up, take the measurements yourself,and maybe offer a small fee to someone that has a machine to stitch it up for you. (Of course this helps if you know someone that knows what it's for, and has made them before) Recommended materials are wool(Aries/Ram), or cotton, as wool gets too hot indoors. This is a good format to use as well....http://www.servantsofthelight.org/knowledge/makingrobes.html
Best of luck

Thank you!

UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 25, 2010, 01:11:16 am »

Thank you!
No probs!  Wink

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
AmberHeart
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 07:38:17 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Dianic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 25, 2010, 08:00:17 am »

Any suggestions?

Thanks All,

Mandy

Mandy,

This may sound a bit strange but you can make a robe using a cotton sheet. Twin size is shorter so they work better except if you are really tall.

The very simpliest way is to fold the sheet around you, tuck in one side under the arm and secure with a pin. It can be belted if you wish and you can bring one end up and over the shoulder (for warmth) and tuck it into the belt. A bit like a sari in fact, which I would suggest if one could easily find those that were cotton. Most are unfortunately polyester.

Another more formal way with a sheet if you don't mind a bit of handsewing is to fold in half, midway along the fold, cut out a neck slit (straight or curved). Either fold the edges over and hand-sew or fold ribbon over and under and sew. You can leave the ends as they are (a bit breezy outdoors) or you can bast up the sides leaving room for your wrists at either side. One can even sew the top of two bangle bracelets into the ends to slip your wrists into (instant cuffs). If one doesn't care for hand-sewing, there is also an option of using safety pins around the collar and up the sides.

One tends to accumulate different robes over the years and a number of mine started out as sheets. I also have a cotton mau-mau that I am particularly fond of in a deep crimson color. Too bad mau-mau's are not in fashion any longer.

Amber

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)