The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 15, 2019, 04:48:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2019, 04:48:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Garden projects this year?  (Read 5625 times)
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 21, 2007, 06:17:45 pm »

I'm starting this thread as a follow-up to Koi's "Garden Plans" thread (Miss you, Koi!), since by now folks in most regions should have weather that's warm enough to do garden projects.

So, what's everyone doing?

I've overdone it, as usual, and I'm going to have to buy more planter boxes to put my peppers and herbs in. On the balcony, I'm growing yellow plum and orange jubilee tomatoes, lobelia, geraniums, marigolds, chives, lavender, portulaca, petunias, nicotiana, bell peppers, lettuce (for our lettuce-eating cat) swiss chard, lemon balm, anise hyssop, peppermint, and some speckledy-leafed plant that I recognize as a common houseplant but don't know the name of.

Down in the yard, most of my perennials made it through the winter. I've added evening primrose, russian sage, pearl everlasting, and valerian (for tea). I've seeded sunflowers, scarlet runner beans, and california poppies. I haven't planted the annuals out yet in the yard gardens, since we're still getting occasional frost, but I've bought "lemon gem" marigolds and snapdragons, and I'm planning to get some impatiens for the shady corner aroud the hostas. Oh, and I've overseeded the bare bare spots on the lawn. Did I mention that I always overdo things in the garden?

Betty  Grin

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

phoukamare
Master Member
Last Login:May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 pm
United States United States

Religion: Irish pantheon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 21, 2007, 06:20:43 pm »

I'm starting this thread as a follow-up to Koi's "Garden Plans" thread (Miss you, Koi!), since by now folks in most regions should have weather that's warm enough to do garden projects.

Well, this is the first time I've ever had a yard to play with, so I've planted lavendar, rosemary, cinnamon basil, 3 types of heritage roses (2 white and 1 red), pansie (1 has already died), lily of the valley, bearded iris of various colors, standard gardenia and a dwarf gardenia and finally a wisteria.

Later I'll start on the back yard.

Phouka
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: May 21, 2007, 06:26:01 pm »

This year, we've given up on actual garden projects in favor of one single big important project:  Getting an actual back yard growing.  After our house was built (not quite three years ago), the front and sides got sod and the back yard was just seeded.  The sod...  sorta took root?  It's a bit dead in places, but at least there's something there.  The backyard just never took off.  So it's been red clay and some weeds back there the whole time, basically.

We keep talking about doing something about it, and decided that this year we really would.  So yesterday my hubby and my father tilled it all up, and then we spread a mixture of grass seed and clover over the whole thing, topped it off with straw, and added water.  And will keep adding water.  We hope this will have the desired result...  I guess we'll see!  If this doesn't work I may go nuts.

At some point in the future, we're probably going to get into vegetables and flowers and things like I've been meaning to for years and years.  But this year, we'll be happy just to have a back yard.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 21, 2007, 06:32:15 pm »

I don't garden.  I freely admit to hating it -- mostly because heat makes me feel sick (migraines), so I don't like to be outside in hot weather.

But my husband announced today -- totally out of the blue -- that he's interested in planting a ring of oak trees in our 1 acre backyard.

Cool, huh?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

« Reply #4: May 21, 2007, 06:47:57 pm »

Going overboard, that's what!  Wink 

First year in many with a real yard, so I've been outside digging and planting nonstop since the beginning of March.    I've covered a fenceline and the side of the house with herbs: basil, rosemary, sage, thyme, peppermint, catnip, borage, tansy, woodruff, rue, St. John's wort, wormwood, lady's mantle, and verbena.  Flowers of every sort anywhere I could find a place for them... roses, foxglove, snapdragons, petunias, johnny-jump-ups, pansies, hollyhock, sunflowers, sweet peas, morning glories and odd varieties of rhododendron, lilies, and glads.

Plus a mini-moon garden of moonflowers, jimson weed, dusty millers, and white primroses.  Also have revamped an old wood pile into a fairy garden, so that's full of small plants of every description and surrounded by some favorite herbs and lamb's ear.

If anyone needs me, I'll be up to my elbows in watering, weeding and harvesting until October!  Smiley

loneash
Master Member
Last Login:June 12, 2010, 12:58:45 pm

Religion: eclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 21, 2007, 08:48:15 pm »

Betty  Grin

Other than some stand-by veggies, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber and beets, I've got some home grown transplants of basil and dill in the ground, and a few paresely (did not do well for me) and fennel and chineese celery cabbage trasplants started but not yet read for the garden.  They seem very slow starting.

This year I've got several gourds started.
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 22, 2007, 08:11:25 am »

Betty  Grin

Last weekends project was surrounding the base of a large bush with white limestone *acquired* from the building sites a few blocks away.  Talk about hot and miserable.  My shoulders are so dark you almost can't see any of my ink.  I made roughly 5-6 trips, each time carrying about 5-6 stones that had to be pushed under the neighborhood fence, and then picked up and carried another few blocks.

I was walking AROUND the fence instead of climbing directly over it, since I was attempting to be somewhat discreet. 

We got a concrete bench to put on one side of the bush, facing my morning glory, which has officially made the two story mark.  I think it's so busy going nuts vegetatively that it's not blooming very well though.  I'm considering if a shot of miracle grow will just fry the leaves again, or get it blooming.  I haven't found out how to 'trick' it, to persuade it that it's gotten to the "top" so it can stop climbing and start blooming.

Last year it was happy to stay on it's trellis.  This year it has taken the whole front corner of the house.

I also raked the grass in the entire yard last weekend.  Figured I could use the exercise, and it looked absoloutely terrible anyways, since when the landscapers mow, they squish the longer brown parts DOWN instead of cutting them off.  Now the tassels are pulled up, so hopefully they'll get cut off improving the color.  Also got rid of enough dead stuff that the alive stuff can grow.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:April 10, 2019, 03:38:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 22, 2007, 02:14:25 pm »

My husband and I just got a new house, so part of what we're doing is learning what previous owners have put into it.  Thus far, on that front, we have discovered yellow tulips with red streaks and pink tulips with white edges; the fruit tree (I believe apple, so we won't get fruit from it since I think it's the only one) is blooming, a bunch of greenery has come up that I haven't identified yet.  The grass is full of dandelions and violets, and I love violets, and some cute purple flowers that I don't know what are, which are at the Celt's place too, and I quite like them.

Thus far I have planted two grapevines (brought from the old house and finally put into the ground), one of which is doing really well and going LEAF! all over the place, the other of which is a bit slower to start.  The Celt and I cut rails for trellising for them last night.  The vines are flanked with anise hyssop plants, which are good companion plants for grapevines.

I seeded some catnip, but I don't think it'll come up at this point -- partly for the Friendly Orange Cat that lives with the neighbors and to harvest for my own boys, but mostly because it discourages mosquitoes and we live on the edge of a marsh.

There's a big-ass rock to one side of the yard, a boulder in the earth, that is the central point of my Ra garden, which will have my sundial in it when I actually unpack whatever box the sundial is in.  That has marigolds to circle the sundial, some basil, some lemon balm (to attract bees), some gorgeous gladiolus spikes that haven't come up yet, an assortment of blue phlox, and stargazer lilies on one side and daylilies on the other.

I have two smallish (four foot by four foot) raised bed food gardens assembled and half-planted -- thus far I have in the corn, tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, lettuce.  Still to be planted: basil, strawberries, hot peppers, squash, probably some savory, probably some asparagus, maybe celery, garlic, onions.

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 22, 2007, 03:15:32 pm »

I think it's so busy going nuts vegetatively that it's not blooming very well though.  I'm considering if a shot of miracle grow will just fry the leaves again, or get it blooming.  I haven't found out how to 'trick' it, to persuade it that it's gotten to the "top" so it can stop climbing and start blooming.

Try giving it a weak solution of a fertilizer with a lot of phosphorus (the middle number) and a low first number (nitrogen). That should kick it's butt into bloom.

Betty  Smiley
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 01, 2007, 12:45:52 pm »

Try giving it a weak solution of a fertilizer with a lot of phosphorus (the middle number) and a low first number (nitrogen). That should kick it's butt into bloom.

Betty  Smiley

Right now I've got a "bloom booster" by miracle grow, and a Carmelia and Acid loving plants, also by miracle grow.  Which do you think would work better?

The bloom booster is what I put on early in the year, and accidentally unbalanced the soil. Too alkaline  (overkill!)  So after that I poured a liter of coke on it, and it started producing normal shaped leaves again.

Maybe I went to far with the coke, and now have to take it back t'other way? 

Other problem with crappy soil is there is very little to buffer whatever is put in.

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 01, 2007, 08:23:34 pm »

My husband and I just got a new house, so part of what we're doing is learning what previous owners have put into it. 

We're in the same situation. Smiley Besides the trees (apples, one suspected cherry, lilacs & the usual pines, birches, two junipers and a thuja) and bushes (black and "we'll see what" currants, european gooseberries and various roses), I've been mainly watching plants grow and seeing what they are growing into. There's violets blooming, something I have a hunch of what kind of flowers they'll be growing into, somethings looking like they've been planted but don't know yet what they are - and a lot of weeds.

We don't have a lawn at all, but one area with most of the berry bushes and a couple of apple trees, a couple of small patches next to the house, a couple near the sauna and a somewhat bigger one next to our cold storage 'wing'.

I've uprooted a huge amount of dandelions and a whole lot of nettles. I left some nettles in for harvesting every once in a while (yum!). This far, I've only planted some chives and sown garlic chives, lettuce, rucola and chervil - the last of which are coming out in bunches.

Next year there'll be actual gardening going on!

Fausta Acilia Mus
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: June 01, 2007, 08:45:34 pm »

We don't have a lawn at all....

Given that I hate to mow -- especially in the Texas heat, I envy you. Smiley

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Fausta
Reserve Staff
Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 09:06:42 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Thelema / Religio Romana -ish

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: June 01, 2007, 09:08:32 pm »

Given that I hate to mow -- especially in the Texas heat, I envy you. Smiley

Not having a lawn was a definite plus with this house, neither of us are interested in mowing. Smiley All in all, we have a rather big house with a quite small yard - but there's plenty of countryside all around!

Fausta Acilia Mus
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: June 01, 2007, 10:06:20 pm »

Not having a lawn was a definite plus with this house, neither of us are interested in mowing. Smiley

I had a neighbor once who loved to mow -- even in the the 100 degree heat of August and September. Just about everyone else thought he was nuts. LOL.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

« Reply #14: June 01, 2007, 10:19:40 pm »

I had a neighbor once who loved to mow -- even in the the 100 degree heat of August and September. Just about everyone else thought he was nuts. LOL.

Perhaps because he was?   Cheesy

Hate mowing, but I've finally found a good excuse not to. The honeybee population is rapidly declining in the States and if I don't mow, the yard fills with buttercups and clover, aka bee food.  It's not an unkempt yard-- it's a bee feeding sanctuary! Just doing my part to save the world one blade of grass at a time.   Grin

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)