The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 07, 2021, 08:53:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2021, 08:53:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Huge quake hits Chile, sparks tsunami alert  (Read 5102 times)
Lintu
Journeyman
Last Login:June 30, 2010, 08:26:04 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Wicca
TCN ID: Lintu

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 27, 2010, 11:54:35 pm »

From the news photos and videos I've seen, it looks bad enough to me. Reports read there's been over 300 deaths in Chile so far. I'm feeling really bad and upset about it, thinking of all the people, how scared they must have been and how devastated they are now, especially the ones that lost loved ones or their homes, let alone the many people that died. And the long-term effects on people's lives, how they're going to pick up pieces and carry on, homes needing to be rebuilt and all. But I'm glad you're okay and handling the emotional shock, Pillmayken.

Mother Nature can be so frightening, it makes me reconsider the darker side of the Earth Goddess.

Comparing to the Haiti earthquake, which was less in Richter scale and caused over 200,000 deaths, it could have been much worse in Chile. But sometimes news upset me even if just one person has suffered or died, so please excuse the emotionalism in my above post.

Do these kinds of happenings affect your relationship with divinity? Do you think the Gods cause earthquakes?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:01:23 am by Lintu » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 28, 2010, 12:10:31 am »

Do these kinds of happenings affect your relationship with divinity? Do you think the Gods cause earthquakes?

While these events are devastating, they are a natural part of our world. The movements of the plates under our feet have nothing to do with divinity, no matter how much Pat Robertson would like everyone to believe.

Earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions and the like have no affect on my relationships with my divinity. I mean, they think chaos like this is cool as all hell, but did they cause them? Nope, not in my mind.

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: February 28, 2010, 02:18:52 pm »

While these events are devastating, they are a natural part of our world. The movements of the plates under our feet have nothing to do with divinity, no matter how much Pat Robertson would like everyone to believe.

Earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions and the like have no affect on my relationships with my divinity. I mean, they think chaos like this is cool as all hell, but did they cause them? Nope, not in my mind.

I second this.  Earthquakes (and by extension, tsunamis), like volcanos, are just an interesting side effect of living on a planet where the crust is made of plates that float on the mantle.  These plates have been shifting probably ever since the planet cooled off.  Thus, there have been countless major earthquakes/tsunamis/volcanic eruptions over the years and life still managed to evolve and survive here.  I find something comforting about that.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Dragondaughter
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: February 28, 2010, 02:39:28 pm »

I second this.  Earthquakes (and by extension, tsunamis), like volcanos, are just an interesting side effect of living on a planet where the crust is made of plates that float on the mantle.  These plates have been shifting probably ever since the planet cooled off.  Thus, there have been countless major earthquakes/tsunamis/volcanic eruptions over the years and life still managed to evolve and survive here.  I find something comforting about that.

As do I. Smiley

I live on an active margin (off the Oregon coast) which has not had a major shift since the 1700's. Here it's not a matter of if, but when we get a big one. Probability wise it will be close to the size of the one in Chile. There are a lot of people who think that just because Oregon/Washington doesn't get that many earthquakes like California does, that we are safe from them. Up until Mt. St. Helens erupted, there were even some geologists who thought the subduction zone here was inactive and none of the Cascade volcanoes were a threat.

I'm planning on asking my prof (I'm looking at an Earth Science major) Monday whether or not he thinks the probability has increased with the shifting that has occurred around the "Ring of Fire" recently. Should be an interesting conversation. Smiley

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Lintu
Journeyman
Last Login:June 30, 2010, 08:26:04 pm
Finland Finland

Religion: Wicca
TCN ID: Lintu

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: February 28, 2010, 03:10:12 pm »

Thank you for your thoughts! To me everything has to do with divinity. I see the Gods as creators of everything, even earthquakes and tsunamis. I do agree that they are a natural part of our world - the earthquakes and the Gods.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: February 28, 2010, 04:36:47 pm »

Sadly, I see the death toll is Chile is up over 700. While that's still very low for the size of the quake, it's way too many. Everyone in Chile is in my thoughts and prayers.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #21: February 28, 2010, 08:34:37 pm »

Sadly, I see the death toll is Chile is up over 700. While that's still very low for the size of the quake, it's way too many. Everyone in Chile is in my thoughts and prayers.

Sad

I found out yesterday that my roommate's hometown is Concepción, and yesterday was supposed to be her cousin's wedding. Her family is all okay, but it was a devastating experience.

I lit a candle for those in Chile and in the tsunami's wake (I have loved ones in Hawaii, too), and I also continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #22: February 28, 2010, 08:56:36 pm »

There are a lot of people who think that just because Oregon/Washington doesn't get that many earthquakes like California does, that we are safe from them.

It's the same up here in British Columbia. I remember a few small quakes when I was living in Vancouver over 10 years ago, but they were only 3 or 4 pointers and we get so few. The geologists have been predicting an 8.5 (or bigger) quake for years, because the plates underneath us are grinding against each other. Apparently Vancouver Island (where I live) has been getting narrower and higher over the years. When the plates release all that energy, it'll "spring" back into shape (as much as a landmass can "spring" I suppose).

This is all stuff I vaguely remember from the tv specials about the Big One years ago, though, so I could be way off. I'm no expert in earth sciences. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Dragondaughter
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: February 28, 2010, 09:37:42 pm »

It's the same up here in British Columbia. I remember a few small quakes when I was living in Vancouver over 10 years ago, but they were only 3 or 4 pointers and we get so few. The geologists have been predicting an 8.5 (or bigger) quake for years, because the plates underneath us are grinding against each other. Apparently Vancouver Island (where I live) has been getting narrower and higher over the years. When the plates release all that energy, it'll "spring" back into shape (as much as a landmass can "spring" I suppose).

This is all stuff I vaguely remember from the tv specials about the Big One years ago, though, so I could be way off. I'm no expert in earth sciences. Smiley

You've got a good grasp of it. Smiley The plates are actually stuck at a deep depth which is causing the warping of the N. American plate (according to my prof). I forgot to add BC when I originally posted... Brain's a bit fried getting all my projects done with only two weeks left in the term. >.< Measurements from GPS stations show Oregon's coast moving east instead of west like it should be. Once the pressure is released it will spring back, and theoretically it could be quite a bit!

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: March 01, 2010, 09:49:25 am »

Chile was ready for quake, Haiti wasn't

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – The earthquake in Chile was far stronger than the one that struck Haiti last month — yet the death toll in this Caribbean nation is magnitudes higher.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100228/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_tale_of_two_quakes

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Ashera
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 21, 2010, 11:55:02 am

Religion: Pagan... ish.

What do you mean Halloween's only 1 day a year?!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 01, 2010, 11:04:19 am »

You're right about it being a huge earthquake. Geologists in my area (North Oregon, USA) have been rewriting all the building codes for our state. (I know this because I did a year stint in a construction program to supplement my theater work - was fun, but it was a lot of getting dirty and waking up at 4 am) You'll notice a lot of the bigger buildings that are currently being built might have a lot more nails or somewhere it might be posted regarding a floating wall being implemented - this means the wall is made so that if the earthquake hits, the building will shift a bit but remain standing and safe to be in (nails will PROBABLY break out of the wall, but they'll just shimmy out a bit). So if you see a huge wall (even with windows), it's not just there for looks! Grin

My history class at school (read: day job) is working on a humanitarian project (doing crafts to sell, raising money to donate directly etc) and some kids are working on theirs for Haiti. The help is coming from all over and now our school will put a few more greatly needed stacks of toothpaste and clothing into the mix. Woo!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)