The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 01, 2020, 10:41:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 10:41:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Runes  (Read 2847 times)
Count
Apprentice
Last Login:May 02, 2010, 01:07:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 01, 2010, 09:28:18 pm »

Does anyone know any basic runes for protection and luck.  I need to adorn my house spirits rock.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 01, 2010, 09:32:14 pm »

Does anyone know any basic runes for protection and luck.  I need to adorn my house spirits rock.

Psst, check out the Asatru / Heathenry SIG! It's got a whole thread dedicated to this, and it's filled with information and sources for this!

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=11583.0

I hope that link works!

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Count
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 01, 2010, 09:42:27 pm »

Psst, check out the Asatru / Heathenry SIG! It's got a whole thread dedicated to this, and it's filled with information and sources for this!

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=11583.0

I hope that link works!
Asatru gives me the meanings for the runes... sweeeeet.  Just trying to add to some Finnish worship.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 01, 2010, 11:10:03 pm »

Asatru gives me the meanings for the runes... sweeeeet.  Just trying to add to some Finnish worship.

When people mention "runes," they generally (though not always!) are talking about the Elder Futhark or related sets of Germanic runes. You're certainly more than welcome to use the Elder Futhark - I have, and they've been part of my practice on and off for about three years now. If you're looking for a Finnish mystical alphabet in particular, you might be out of luck - a cursory glance of Google hasn't brought up any sites that I would consider reputable. However, if you're interested in using divination/symbology within a Finnish context using not-exactly-Finnish material... I'd say that'd be fine. Finland's right next to a Scandinavian country after all, and there was bound to be cultural overlap and trade. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:05:43 am by Star, Reason: fixing BBcode » Logged

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Count
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 02, 2010, 09:21:52 am »

When people mention "runes," they generally (though not always!) are talking about the Elder Futhark or related sets of Germanic runes. You're certainly more than welcome to use the Elder Futhark - I have, and they've been part of my practice on and off for about three years now. If you're looking for a Finnish mystical alphabet in particular, you might be out of luck - a cursory glance of Google hasn't brought up any sites that I would consider reputable. However, if you're interested in using divination/symbology within a Finnish context using not-exactly-Finnish material... I'd say that'd be fine. Finland's right next to a Scandinavian country after all, and there was bound to be cultural overlap and trade. Smiley
Yeah Elder Futhark is the only type of rune I know how to read. So I'd say that's what I should use
Count
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 02, 2010, 06:43:22 pm »

Yeah Elder Futhark is the only type of rune I know how to read. So I'd say that's what I should use
Now I just need to find a substance to create my rune stones from
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 02, 2010, 07:00:07 pm »

Now I just need to find a substance to create my rune stones from

I've used clay or sculpty - you can pick it up from a craft store relatively cheaply. You might also want to collect pebbles that are roughly the same size, or find a long, sturdy stick and cut your runes from that. At first, when I didn't have the supplies to make my own set, I just used bits of paper as I was practicing.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Count
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 02, 2010, 07:03:42 pm »

I've used clay or sculpty - you can pick it up from a craft store relatively cheaply. You might also want to collect pebbles that are roughly the same size, or find a long, sturdy stick and cut your runes from that. At first, when I didn't have the supplies to make my own set, I just used bits of paper as I was practicing.
I have a "national park"(not really sure if it is one) and I think I have to go there to get anything I use.  I had a special experience there.
Count
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 02, 2010, 07:10:07 pm »

I have a "national park"(not really sure if it is one) and I think I have to go there to get anything I use.  I had a special experience there.
I was also looking at tarot.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 02, 2010, 07:42:04 pm »

If it is a real national park, there may be rules against taking natural objects away from their environment. I remember taking a trip to a national forest around here and being told that no, I couldn't take the pretty shiny rocks I found on the ground. If it's not federally protected, totally feel free to use felled branches and such. Smiley

Count
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 02, 2010, 07:48:27 pm »

If it is a real national park, there may be rules against taking natural objects away from their environment. I remember taking a trip to a national forest around here and being told that no, I couldn't take the pretty shiny rocks I found on the ground. If it's not federally protected, totally feel free to use felled branches and such. Smiley
It might just be a city park. I took a rock on Sunday for a home for my house spirit.
Allati
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2012, 06:51:13 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox and eclectic pagan
TCN ID: Allati

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 03, 2010, 08:46:35 pm »

Perhaps. But if you're going for getting close to Finland and its culture, adjusting to Younger Futhark might help. Finland, as far as I know, did not have a runic alphabet. But both Sweden and Estonia have used Younger Futhark. To this day Estonian and Finnish are very similar languages, and Sweden and Finland have had population overlap going back a very long way.

(Elder Futhark has also been found in Sweden, but seems mostly to only be in the Southern areas and not to have creeped towards Finland. Presumably by that time it had evolved into Younger.)

At the end of the day, resonance with the materials, and the understanding of consent of the deities regarding the alphabet, is possibly more important.

I currently have a set of Elder Futhark runes, but I'm not using them in any particular practice.

Henytenwepwawet

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)