The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 24, 2022, 09:05:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2022, 09:05:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Series  (Read 14764 times)
Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 04, 2010, 10:52:16 pm »

As a looong time fan of this series I was just curious if anyone else has played any of the games from this great series of FPRPGs. 

Now which is game is your favorite and why?  What changes were made that you did not like or actually liked as newer games came out?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 04, 2010, 10:56:35 pm »

As a looong time fan of this series I was just curious if anyone else has played any of the games from this great series of FPRPGs. 

Now which is game is your favorite and why?  What changes were made that you did not like or actually liked as newer games came out?

Thought I should answer my own questions!

My favorite game of the series hands down is Daggerfall.  This is the first game that featured actual changes in the environment as you played, i.e. sunrise and sunset. Great game that allows you to be completely immersed in everything and ignore the actual plot!

I hate that they got rid of Lycanthropy.

Ashera
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 21, 2010, 11:55:02 am

Religion: Pagan... ish.

What do you mean Halloween's only 1 day a year?!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 04, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »

Thought I should answer my own questions!

My favorite game of the series hands down is Daggerfall.  This is the first game that featured actual changes in the environment as you played, i.e. sunrise and sunset. Great game that allows you to be completely immersed in everything and ignore the actual plot!

I hate that they got rid of Lycanthropy.

Oblivion does the same thing with the environment. I've beaten it about 3 times although I just got my hands on the Shivering Isles expansion. I spent hours over this last summer going through the main quest line and all the wonderful side quests. I love it so much that my mage is head of the Arcane University and Listener in the Dark Brotherhood.  Grin

Gah. I love the games. Oblivion, for me, is the best hands down. Morrowind is a close second.
GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 03:32:54 am

Religion: Agnostic Pessimist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 05, 2010, 12:06:54 am »

The only game I've played is Morrowind, but I loved that game.  The gods, the specialization, the center story was all great.

Plus, it's always helpful to have a BBEG with a cool name and this game passes inspection (really... how cool is Voryn Dagoth?)

Cheesy

Cease then and let me alone,
that I may take comfort a little before I go whence I shall not return,
even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
a land of darkness, as darkness itself,
and of the shadow of death without any order,
and where the light is as darkness.

- Job
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 05, 2010, 08:06:13 am »

The only game I've played is Morrowind, but I loved that game.  The gods, the specialization, the center story was all great.

I have Morrowind because someone gave me a copy for my birthday. It would not run well on my old (now dead) XP machine as the graphics card was too slow. It doesn't seem to run at all on the new Win7 box.  Oh well, I'm not much of a computer gamer anyway. I might have top download and try Daggerfall now that its free. DOSBox runs fine (a must so I can play my favorite copmputer game, Master of Magic) so it should run fine on this system. I haven't as I know I'd never have time to play it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 05, 2010, 09:24:14 am »

Oblivion does the same thing with the environment. I've beaten it about 3 times although I just got my hands on the Shivering Isles expansion. I spent hours over this last summer going through the main quest line and all the wonderful side quests. I love it so much that my mage is head of the Arcane University and Listener in the Dark Brotherhood.  Grin

Gah. I love the games. Oblivion, for me, is the best hands down. Morrowind is a close second.

Oblivion is a very close second in my book to Daggerfall.  I enjoy Morrowind, but for some reason could not get that into it like I have with Oblivion and Daggerfall.  My friend (a far better programmer than I am) is currently working on a character port between Daggerfall-Morrowind-Oblivion.

Currently someone is trying to update the Daggerfall engine and I believe the project is titled DaggerXL. 

GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 05, 2010, 08:43:03 pm »

I have Morrowind because someone gave me a copy for my birthday. It would not run well on my old (now dead) XP machine as the graphics card was too slow. It doesn't seem to run at all on the new Win7 box.  Oh well, I'm not much of a computer gamer anyway. I might have top download and try Daggerfall now that its free. DOSBox runs fine (a must so I can play my favorite copmputer game, Master of Magic) so it should run fine on this system. I haven't as I know I'd never have time to play it.

I know how you feel about graphics cards.  I want to get Fallout 3 for PC so bad, but my video card won't run it.  Have to upgrade.  Meh.

- Job
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 06, 2010, 06:03:53 am »

I played Daggerfall loads but stopped when it bugged badly and I had no unbugged save files - couldn't face replaying three-quarters of the game! A quest monster got stuck in the walls. Sad

Morrowind (XBox) I loved although I only finished it once. With free-roaming games I have a tendency to ignore the main plot and do the other stuff.

Oblivion (PC) I like, but not so in love with it as Morrowind. I had to put a mod on the game because of the monster levelling wierdness. I still haven't finished as life, the universe and other hobbies have got in the way, though I have several characters at lvl 20 ish, one near the top of the theives quild and one head of the mages guild. I find the landscape not so fun to explore and preferred Morrowind's version of fast travel, which feels less cheaty (I tend to impose my own restrictions - I prefer to actually 'roleplay' these games as far as pos). Also not keen on the quest pointer - nice and easy and that's the problem! Some of the most fun I had in Morrowind was getting sidetracked while looking for a quest!

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 08, 2010, 10:09:59 am »

I played Daggerfall loads but stopped when it bugged badly and I had no unbugged save files - couldn't face replaying three-quarters of the game! A quest monster got stuck in the walls. Sad

Morrowind (XBox) I loved although I only finished it once. With free-roaming games I have a tendency to ignore the main plot and do the other stuff.

Oblivion (PC) I like, but not so in love with it as Morrowind. I had to put a mod on the game because of the monster levelling wierdness. I still haven't finished as life, the universe and other hobbies have got in the way, though I have several characters at lvl 20 ish, one near the top of the theives quild and one head of the mages guild. I find the landscape not so fun to explore and preferred Morrowind's version of fast travel, which feels less cheaty (I tend to impose my own restrictions - I prefer to actually 'roleplay' these games as far as pos). Also not keen on the quest pointer - nice and easy and that's the problem! Some of the most fun I had in Morrowind was getting sidetracked while looking for a quest!

Given how small both Morrowind and Oblivion were I actually enjoyed travelling by foot and exploring.

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 08, 2010, 12:45:03 pm »

Given how small both Morrowind and Oblivion were I actually enjoyed travelling by foot and exploring.
Is it me or is Oblivion smaller than Morrowind? Although that might be because of the way the creatures level. In Morrowind you'd wander into a new area and find yourself dying when a shiny new enemy appeared, but in Oblivion everything levels with you so you can go pretty much anywhere right from the start. Also I think the fast travel makes it feel smaller, for fairly obvious reasons I suppose.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 08, 2010, 08:12:35 pm »

Is it me or is Oblivion smaller than Morrowind? Although that might be because of the way the creatures level. In Morrowind you'd wander into a new area and find yourself dying when a shiny new enemy appeared, but in Oblivion everything levels with you so you can go pretty much anywhere right from the start. Also I think the fast travel makes it feel smaller, for fairly obvious reasons I suppose.

Morrowind is 10 square miles in size and Oblivion is 16 square miles.  With the differences in fast travel, yes Oblivion does seem smaller.  That coupled with the sheer size of the city makes for a relatively small explorable area IMO.  Daggerfall is around 620,000 square miles.  My favorite thing is getting lost looking for the Coven in that game.  I know where it is, but there are sooo many fun dungeons in the area I can't help it.

Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 09, 2010, 10:58:52 am »

I have both morrowind and oblivion for XBOX, While I really like Oblivion for it's lovely graphics; to me, Morrowind was simply a superior game. The whole world seemed richer and more involved than Oblivion, which seemed just a little 2 dimensional to me.

I confess to disliking the leveling system in Oblivion, which tends to pull you out of the role playing part of the game. While it might seem handy to be able to kill an ogre while a level 1 noob; it was hardly the play experience I was used to or expecting.

In Morrowind, you are monster fodder until at least level 5, so discression is always the better part of valour. And boy, once you are at level 25 or so, you rule! Whereas in Oblivion, that ogre you barely managed to kill as a level 1 can still own you  at level 25.

Which all must mean it is time to pull out my original XBOX and have another run through Morrowind.....

Ashera
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 21, 2010, 11:55:02 am

Religion: Pagan... ish.

What do you mean Halloween's only 1 day a year?!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 09, 2010, 11:19:30 am »

Oblivion does that to me on my 360. Makes me sad. Sad

Not going to quote anyone else, since this is a question (on topic) to everyone. Does anyone think that an Elder Scrolls MMO would be worth playing? -fangirl squeel-
GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 09, 2010, 01:03:16 pm »

Not going to quote anyone else, since this is a question (on topic) to everyone. Does anyone think that an Elder Scrolls MMO would be worth playing? -fangirl squeel-

YES.

- Job
GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 09, 2010, 01:03:51 pm »

YES.

Actually, now that I think of it, a Fallout 3-style MMO / FPS would be so awesome...

*daydreams*

- Job

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)