The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 25, 2022, 10:30:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2022, 10:30:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Series  (Read 15516 times)
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 09, 2010, 01:23:25 pm »

Oblivion does that to me on my 360. Makes me sad. Sad

Not going to quote anyone else, since this is a question (on topic) to everyone. Does anyone think that an Elder Scrolls MMO would be worth playing? -fangirl squeel-

I am not an MMO player (manageed to dodge the WOW bug). In ways I would think it would be fun to interact with other players. but I don't imagine it would be the same game at all.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 10, 2010, 09:02:28 am »

Oblivion does that to me on my 360. Makes me sad. Sad

Not going to quote anyone else, since this is a question (on topic) to everyone. Does anyone think that an Elder Scrolls MMO would be worth playing? -fangirl squeel-

Ever hear of Everquest 2?  A number of the old guard from TES worked on developing that MMO and from the little I played it, it did have a similar feel.

Honestly I do not understand the fascination people have with the Evil Empire's X-Box.  Blu-ray won the war and I do not see them recovering given the sub-par parts that they put into it as well (older model PS3 chip cheap bastards).

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #17: March 10, 2010, 09:33:19 am »

Honestly I do not understand the fascination people have with the Evil Empire's X-Box.  Blu-ray won the war and I do not see them recovering given the sub-par parts that they put into it as well (older model PS3 chip cheap bastards).

My understanding from Hubby is that X-Box 360 has a better-developed online/community side than PS3 does (including a better trophy/achievement system).  In that sense, I suspect it's all about what exactly you're looking for in a console and how important those features are to you.  I'm not sure the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD war is really all that relevant; HD-DVD was never as integral to the XBox as Blu-ray is to the PS3.  If Blu-ray had lost, Sony would've lost a major selling point.  When HD-DVD lost, Microsoft lost...  an add-on.  ::shrug::  The main unit of the 360 was never an HD-DVD player; that was just an extra that you could buy.  (Of course, I haven't seen the sales figures, so maybe I'm wrong and there was a big dropoff of 360 sales after HD-DVD went under.  I'm just speculating here based on admittedly limited knowledge.)  I'm sure there's some effect there, but I don't think it's nearly enough to kill the console.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, XBox has never had to release a statement advising some users not to use their consoles until a silly calendar bug gets fixed because they might lose data if they do (and they can't play some games until it's fixed anyway), whereas that happened, what, a week ago?  a couple of weeks? with the PS3.  That didn't exactly give a good impression of the PS3 to consumers.  Granted that the newer slim PS3s (...the ones that no longer have backward compatibility for PS2 games...) weren't affected, but it was still Not A Good Thing.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 10, 2010, 10:04:23 am »

My understanding from Hubby is that X-Box 360 has a better-developed online/community side than PS3 does (including a better trophy/achievement system).  In that sense, I suspect it's all about what exactly you're looking for in a console and how important those features are to you.  I'm not sure the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD war is really all that relevant; HD-DVD was never as integral to the XBox as Blu-ray is to the PS3.  If Blu-ray had lost, Sony would've lost a major selling point.  When HD-DVD lost, Microsoft lost...  an add-on.  ::shrug::  The main unit of the 360 was never an HD-DVD player; that was just an extra that you could buy.  (Of course, I haven't seen the sales figures, so maybe I'm wrong and there was a big dropoff of 360 sales after HD-DVD went under.  I'm just speculating here based on admittedly limited knowledge.)  I'm sure there's some effect there, but I don't think it's nearly enough to kill the console.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, XBox has never had to release a statement advising some users not to use their consoles until a silly calendar bug gets fixed because they might lose data if they do (and they can't play some games until it's fixed anyway), whereas that happened, what, a week ago?  a couple of weeks? with the PS3.  That didn't exactly give a good impression of the PS3 to consumers.  Granted that the newer slim PS3s (...the ones that no longer have backward compatibility for PS2 games...) weren't affected, but it was still Not A Good Thing.

The glitch with the PS3 is really a minor thing that was fixed very shortly after it occurred.  Quite frankly online community development means nothing to me in regards to my playing experience for anything.  If I really want to get rewarded for playing a game I will go play a game on facebook.

Really the debate is about the hardware and the PS3 will win it every time.  As for the HD-DVD not killing the XBox 360, I have to disagree because the screen shots and reports of games being released for both consoles show that more developers are starting to utilize all the PS3 has to offer.  Example:  Final Fantasy XIII is compressed for the XBox version, which means lower overall quality, while the PS3 is not.

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #19: March 10, 2010, 10:34:10 am »

The glitch with the PS3 is really a minor thing that was fixed very shortly after it occurred. 

It still really pissed a lot of people off, though, not the least because it was a really stupid error to have made.  2010 is not a leap year.  How hard is that?  I recognize that it wasn't a big thing in the grand scheme of things, but it's still not exactly a point in Sony's favor.

Quite frankly online community development means nothing to me in regards to my playing experience for anything.  If I really want to get rewarded for playing a game I will go play a game on facebook.

As I said, it all depends on what you're looking for.  You said you didn't see what people saw in the 360.  I was providing an example of why people might prefer the 360 over the PS3.  It's not a reason you personally find compelling; OK, that's fine.  My point wasn't to sell the 360 to you personally.  I was only commenting on what some people (though obviously not you) might find attractive about it.

Really the debate is about the hardware and the PS3 will win it every time. 

What I'm trying to point out here is that although it might come down to the hardware for you when you are deciding which console you should purchase, that's not the case for everyone who is purchasing a console.  A quick Google tells me that the Wii is beating both of its competitors to a bloody pulp in terms of units sold.  If it were all about hardware, that would not be the case--the Wii is the least powerful of the three and won't even play regular DVDs, forget HD or Blu-ray.  Each console is aimed at a different market.  Clearly you are not the 360 market.  ::shrug::  Doesn't mean there isn't a market at all.

As for the HD-DVD not killing the XBox 360, I have to disagree because the screen shots and reports of games being released for both consoles show that more developers are starting to utilize all the PS3 has to offer.  Example:  Final Fantasy XIII is compressed for the XBox version, which means lower overall quality, while the PS3 is not.

I may have gotten myself in over my head with the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray comments, because I have to admit I don't understand the connection you're trying to draw here.  The HD-DVD addon has nothing to do with the games at all; all it does is play HD-DVDs.  Huh  I suppose it's possible that including Blu-ray forced Sony to use better hardware, and maybe that's making the difference, but that doesn't necessarily translate into the failure of HD-DVD killing the 360.  It means that the 360's hardware is not as good.  If they could have made it better at the time, that's true regardless of HD-DVD concerns.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Rowanfox
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 10, 2010, 05:28:14 pm »

Really the debate is about the hardware and the PS3 will win it every time.  As for the HD-DVD not killing the XBox 360, I have to disagree because the screen shots and reports of games being released for both consoles show that more developers are starting to utilize all the PS3 has to offer.  Example:  Final Fantasy XIII is compressed for the XBox version, which means lower overall quality, while the PS3 is not.

1) XBOX 360 came out before PS3 and was vastly superior to PS2. So, many, many folks already have XBOX 360

2) When PS3 came out, it was stupid expensive.

3) Up until this year, many games were still not being made for all platforms, and most WERE on XBOX 360. And, my son will argue BETTER games on XBOX.

It is hard to justify buying a PS3 when you already XBOX 360, and many new games are being released on both.

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 11, 2010, 06:33:12 am »

In ways I would think it would be fun to interact with other players.
I dunno. I've met some of those people on Wow with the result that when I play Wow (very rare these days - account is hibernating) I talk to my guildmates who are real life friends and very rarely interact with anyone else. People who try to interact with me most often get told I'm not interested, or ignored entirely. I switch off the chat and trade channels as they are mostly filled with puerile nonsense. Hell is other people. And MMO's seem to be inhabited by the most irritating other people on the planet.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Casey
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 11, 2010, 09:45:05 am »

What I'm trying to point out here is that although it might come down to the hardware for you when you are deciding which console you should purchase, that's not the case for everyone who is purchasing a console.  A quick Google tells me that the Wii is beating both of its competitors to a bloody pulp in terms of units sold.  If it were all about hardware, that would not be the case--the Wii is the least powerful of the three and won't even play regular DVDs, forget HD or Blu-ray.  Each console is aimed at a different market.  Clearly you are not the 360 market.  ::shrug::  Doesn't mean there isn't a market at all.

I agree Star.  Each console is aimed at a different market demographic and I do enjoy my Wii.  Back in the mid-90's there were some 5 different consoles available if memory serves correctly and today the debate is similar to what it was then.  In the end it just comes down to what the purchaser wants.  For me I have a Wii because of my wife and daughter more than anything.  I really enjoy the system more for its classic games than anything else because I enjoy them just like when I was a child.

1) XBOX 360 came out before PS3 and was vastly superior to PS2. So, many, many folks already have XBOX 360

2) When PS3 came out, it was stupid expensive.

3) Up until this year, many games were still not being made for all platforms, and most WERE on XBOX 360. And, my son will argue BETTER games on XBOX.

It is hard to justify buying a PS3 when you already XBOX 360, and many new games are being released on both.

If we throw everything out the window, just for honesty's sake, is it not hard to justify buying either one when in the infancy stage?  Price is through the roof at that time.  Even after PS3's latest price drop I had a hard time justifying this.

Rowanfox
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 11, 2010, 01:41:36 pm »

Hell is other people. And MMO's seem to be inhabited by the most irritating other people on the planet.

Hence the reason I do not MMO.....

Maythe
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 14, 2010, 03:38:44 pm »

Hence the reason I do not MMO.....
I haven't for months now, though that's probably more to do with getting bored than the people as such. I have, on rare occasions, interacted with some nice and intelligent people on Wow, but they are vastly outnumbered by the wankers.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

Rowanfox
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 15, 2010, 11:22:03 am »

I haven't for months now, though that's probably more to do with getting bored than the people as such. I have, on rare occasions, interacted with some nice and intelligent people on Wow, but they are vastly outnumbered by the wankers.

Well, a pox on all wankers.....whatever they are.

Maythe
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 15, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »

Well, a pox on all wankers.....whatever they are.

Lol it's a british slang insult literally meaning 'masturbator' but in reality meaning something like 'bastards' or 'assholes'. Although in this case the primary meaning is probably relevant too...

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 16, 2010, 03:09:23 am »

Lol it's a british slang insult literally meaning 'masturbator' but in reality meaning something like 'bastards' or 'assholes'. Although in this case the primary meaning is probably relevant too...

You are correct! It means all of the above, but it just sounds and feels better when you say it!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Rowanfox
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 16, 2010, 09:54:55 am »

You are correct! It means all of the above, but it just sounds and feels better when you say it!

I think I'll try dropping that into the conversation sometime today and see what happens......I know some wankers......

Maythe
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 16, 2010, 02:31:28 pm »

Um yes. It was me that used it in the first place  Tongue

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)