The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 17, 2021, 10:08:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2021, 10:08:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: need help with psychic defense  (Read 4557 times)
hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 22, 2007, 01:33:46 pm »

I have been, as of late, experiencing some problems with my concentration and focus and have been almost completely unable to recall important details of my astral travels. Not to mention any magickal workings have been put on hold, for I am lacking the main ingrediants (concentration & focus!) This normally is not a problem, but as of a few days ago I have had a strong sense that I am under some sort of psychic attack............I had a dream last night which I have remembered most of where I was in a school that later became overrun with "attackers" (don't remember what they looked like tho! which may be quite important in this!) and my teacher was killed in this attack....and overall it was quite a hopeless dream with no recovery, and I am concerned about gaining my concentration level back as they were functioning quite fine before this attack began.. Huh Undecided

Any advice for any defensive measure I could take myself and possibly incorporate into my meditation and astral travels would be much appreciated along with any good defensive energy anyone could possibly send in my direction..

Thank you so much

ok, just adding that I am unsure of the source of this attack, but by psychic attack, I don't necessarily mean that someone is physically trying to harm me through ways other than the physical, but that possibly an entity from the astral realm has not let go of a possible encounter that I cannot remember from past travels..............there is only one other actual physical human I know who may have ill feelings towards me, but I am not so paranoid as to think it would be her, especially since she doesn't know where I live or have contact with me in any way, etc etc............I really just think this is some sort of entity or unresolved problem on my part that I can't for the life of me figure out....I know I have been dealing with some anxiety problems for awhile, and I have little to no contact with other people other than my 'partner' .........so this is most likely something to do with it.....not to mention a couple of years ago I was sent to the loony bin where they pumped me full of poison against my will and practically sucked my energy resources dry.. I have reason to think that the pills have had some major negative effects on my mind since, seeing as whatever they gave me was unnecessary and I ahven't been on any kind of drug since then and have been fine...better than fine....and who knows what those drugs do to someone without need for them Sad ....ok...well I'm rambling....just going to not think to hard on this problem b/c that tends to make it harder for the solution to appear...

any advice or help will be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:03:03 pm by Mysteria » Logged

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 22, 2007, 06:21:55 pm »

Any advice for any defensive measure I could take myself and possibly incorporate into my meditation and astral travels would be much appreciated along with any good defensive energy anyone could possibly send in my direction..

IMHO, the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram is almost always a good place to start in cases like you describe. The Star Ruby is an alternative ritual with a similar purpose.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 22, 2007, 08:24:21 pm »

IMHO, the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram is almost always a good place to start in cases like you describe. The Star Ruby is an alternative ritual with a similar purpose.

thank you! I am sure this is a matter of opinion, but in the ritual can I replace the Hebrew chanting with another "vabrational" chant with a name of the Goddess instead?

either way Smiley thanks much for your feedback

Blessed Be!! Cheesy

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 22, 2007, 10:24:51 pm »

thank you! I am sure this is a matter of opinion, but in the ritual can I replace the Hebrew chanting with another "vabrational" chant with a name of the Goddess instead?

You might find Paul Hume's article "Wiccan Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram" (on our web site) helpful.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
V
Journeyman
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 01:10:38 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 23, 2007, 11:53:30 am »

I whole-heartedly agree that this is one of the most powerful tools of psychic protection.  Doing it every day for several months will strengthen it beyond your wildest dreams (at least it did for me).  Once it's nice and strong, you may not have to repeat it quite so often.

The type of concern that Mysteria has is REALLY discussed at length in Dion Fortune's Psychic Self-Defense.  Keep in mind while reading it that Fortune wrote back in the 1930's.  This creates a few challenges for the modern reader:

1.  She beats around the bush because she's oathbound (and probably b/c she doesn't want dummies to get her info.)

2.  She was reconcilling her metaphysical knowledge with her Christian belief system.

Now, Fortune's book will give you a skewed view unless you also read more on the subject of psychic protection.  Several good books are out there, but may I recommend Ted Andrews, Psychic Protection?

If you stand with one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow, you'll piss all over today.
hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 23, 2007, 01:41:24 pm »

I whole-heartedly agree that this is one of the most powerful tools of psychic protection.  Doing it every day for several months will strengthen it beyond your wildest dreams (at least it did for me).  Once it's nice and strong, you may not have to repeat it quite so often.

The type of concern that Mysteria has is REALLY discussed at length in Dion Fortune's Psychic Self-Defense.  Keep in mind while reading it that Fortune wrote back in the 1930's.  This creates a few challenges for the modern reader:

1.  She beats around the bush because she's oathbound (and probably b/c she doesn't want dummies to get her info.)

2.  She was reconcilling her metaphysical knowledge with her Christian belief system.

Now, Fortune's book will give you a skewed view unless you also read more on the subject of psychic protection.  Several good books are out there, but may I recommend Ted Andrews, Psychic Protection?

ah Ted Andrews, I tend to like this author so I will definately look into that book! Thank you for the advice and I will be beginning this ritual today Smiley  ....I intend on looking into the book by Dion Fortune as well  Smiley

Blessings!   Cheesy

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 23, 2007, 03:35:45 pm »

I have been, as of late, experiencing some problems with my concentration and focus and have been almost completely unable to recall important details of my astral travels.

I've been thinking about this for a day or three...

Stuff that might be worth considering:

1) Have you done a thorough banishing/cleansing/etc. of the spaces you use regularly? Especially your bed, as dreams are part of it (and also, we spend a large percentage of our time in our beds)

2) While we're at it: How are you sleeping generally? Are you following good sleep hygeine habits? (Going to bed at a consistent time, using bedding materials that help you sleep, avoiding allergens or other things that might cause problems?)

3) Have you made any changes that are generally affecting your health, food, medication, or sleep recently? (Even stuff like taking vitamins: I turn out to get very vivid and unsettling dreams when I get a certain amount of added magnesium in my diet.) It's always good to triple check the practical/mundane stuff first.

4) Is there any ongoing disagreement, stress, or other tension in your life? This is both a psychic defense thing and a general stress thing: stress obviously can trigger weird dreams. On the psychic defense level, problematic interactions with other people can open you up to psychic nastiness (from other sources, not someone directing it at you, per se.)

5) Sleep deprivation, poor food habits, stress, recovering from illness, etc. can all affect concentration and focus. So can having been horribly busy and overwhelmed for a while.

I've been fighting the last bit for a while now (full time work, part time grad school, and group religious/magical work) and I honestly don't expect to fully recover from the past 9 months until sometime in August. (after some actual vacation, some living space changes, and so on.) It's taking me forever to run through stuff that is normally easy (email lists, forums, replying to stuff, and even regular tasks), but it's largely because I'm running so low on reserves.

In the meantime, I'm being very conservative about assumptions about weird dreams, weird feelings, and other potential symptoms of psychic or magical weirdness, because I know my body and my psyche are low on reserves, high on stress, and generally not in tip-top shape. Most stuff I'm considering doing, I'm running by trusted friends who are willing to point out when I'm being really foolish, forgetful or overreacting.

6) On the psychic defense level: besides taking care of any underlying stresses (including times you've half-fibbed to people, etc.), basic psychic hygeine methods help a lot. Grounding, centering, shielding, warding one's home, casting circle if your practice includes that for astral work, cleansing, etc. I use my shower or bath time for a chunk of this.

Exactly which options depend on your background, preferences, etc - there's tons of folk-magic methods out there, there are religious witchcraft (Wicca, etc.), there are ceremonial magic based ones, and so on. Along with the other recommendations, I like the Denning and Phillips book on psychic self-defense for a somewhat more ceremonial/ritual model (also a good explanation of the LBRP, etc. already discussed.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 26, 2007, 11:03:30 am »

any advice or help will be greatly appreciated

Honestly, it seems to me that you're overdoing it a bit with astral travel and lucid dreaming. Astral travel, spirit journeying, and lucid dreaming put you in a place that's full of entities, spirits, your own emotional constructs, memories, etc. All this stuff, while not necessarily harmful, can be draining. Basically, you may be working your psychic "muscles" too hard. Extensive lucid dreamimg is also not as restful as regular old sleep.

I'd compare it to getting a run-down immune system because you're excersising too much. Say you're working out with weights daily, running for 2 hours, working in a factory, and eating and resting just enough to keep you going. You're going to be more susceptible to colds and viruses that you could otherwise easily fight off, just because your body is already stretched to its limits.

I've noticed from this thread and others that you do meditations frequently. Try taking a break from astral travel during your meditations for a few weeks, and do grounding and centring instead.

The suggestion to use the LBRP will probably help with the dreams. I recently performed it for the first time (usually I'm more of a "create your own ritual" king of gal) and... Whoa. I'm impressed at how effective it is.

You seem like a relatively experienced lucid dreamer: are you able to pull yourself out of dreams you don't want to be in? If you continue to find yourself in "under attack" dreams, at this point I would suggest just leaving them. Construct a "safe place" you can go to in dreams. You can deal with the aggressor after you've rested up a bit.

Betty  Smiley
Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 27, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

The type of concern that Mysteria has is REALLY discussed at length in Dion Fortune's Psychic Self-Defense.  Keep in mind while reading it that Fortune wrote back in the 1930's.

Incidentally, Dion Fortune's book can be found online if you Google it.

hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 28, 2007, 12:30:14 pm »

Incidentally, Dion Fortune's book can be found online if you Google it.

ooh really? I did not know that

thanks for the tip Smiley

hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 28, 2007, 12:45:18 pm »

Honestly, it seems to me that you're overdoing it a bit with astral travel and lucid dreaming. Astral travel, spirit journeying, and lucid dreaming put you in a place that's full of entities, spirits, your own emotional constructs, memories, etc. All this stuff, while not necessarily harmful, can be draining. Basically, you may be working your psychic "muscles" too hard. Extensive lucid dreamimg is also not as restful as regular old sleep.

I'd compare it to getting a run-down immune system because you're excersising too much. Say you're working out with weights daily, running for 2 hours, working in a factory, and eating and resting just enough to keep you going. You're going to be more susceptible to colds and viruses that you could otherwise easily fight off, just because your body is already stretched to its limits.

I've noticed from this thread and others that you do meditations frequently. Try taking a break from astral travel during your meditations for a few weeks, and do grounding and centring instead.

The suggestion to use the LBRP will probably help with the dreams. I recently performed it for the first time (usually I'm more of a "create your own ritual" king of gal) and... Whoa. I'm impressed at how effective it is.

You seem like a relatively experienced lucid dreamer: are you able to pull yourself out of dreams you don't want to be in? If you continue to find yourself in "under attack" dreams, at this point I would suggest just leaving them. Construct a "safe place" you can go to in dreams. You can deal with the aggressor after you've rested up a bit.

Betty  Smiley

you are definately right that I've been needing to reground myself and have been kind of losing myself in my dreams, in particular. with astral projection however, I do certain prepratory exercises usually everyday, but don't usually attempt actually projection until full moons as my own form of an Esbat, just with spirit guides instead of fellow coven members~

the lucid dreaming has come to a hault, I suspect it has done so just by me thinking of it becoming an issue....maybe a sort of self-defense mechanism of the mind.....and I've been preoccupying myself with reading books on other topics and trying to gather my new art supplies for an upcoming semester, and actual physical exercise as well always seems to help with the re-centering

things don't seem to have been so hectic as of late, only when I go visit the parents (or rather, the parental units as I like to call them Wink Cheesy ) my mom somehow knows everything that I SHOULD and should NOT do Wink so that's normally a stressful time, that I like to immerse myself in as infrequently as possible.

Generally I can somewhat "decide" if I'm going to have a lucid dream, but before they stopped, they seemed to sort of come to a peak that wasn't really in my control, and I definately noticed myself sleeping later into the day, which isn't usually a normal thing for me......well maybe semi-late....but not 1 or 2 in the afternoon....I don't like wasting half a day like that usually Tongue and I'd wake up tired and wanting to bite someone's head off!! 

I can pull myself out of dreams when I feel in danger, or uncomfortable, but sometimes with astral projection if I feel uncomfrtable and I pull myself out...I tend to have a feeling I brought whatever it was back with me.....whether I really did or not.....I can go outside for a little while after thast and *sometimes* feel that the feeling has dissipated.

anyhow, thank you for you insight and advice! Smiley

hassMysteria
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 28, 2007, 12:55:53 pm »

I've been thinking about this for a day or three...

Stuff that might be worth considering:

1) Have you done a thorough banishing/cleansing/etc. of the spaces you use regularly? Especially your bed, as dreams are part of it (and also, we spend a large percentage of our time in our beds)

2) While we're at it: How are you sleeping generally? Are you following good sleep hygeine habits? (Going to bed at a consistent time, using bedding materials that help you sleep, avoiding allergens or other things that might cause problems?)

3) Have you made any changes that are generally affecting your health, food, medication, or sleep recently? (Even stuff like taking vitamins: I turn out to get very vivid and unsettling dreams when I get a certain amount of added magnesium in my diet.) It's always good to triple check the practical/mundane stuff first.

4) Is there any ongoing disagreement, stress, or other tension in your life? This is both a psychic defense thing and a general stress thing: stress obviously can trigger weird dreams. On the psychic defense level, problematic interactions with other people can open you up to psychic nastiness (from other sources, not someone directing it at you, per se.)

5) Sleep deprivation, poor food habits, stress, recovering from illness, etc. can all affect concentration and focus. So can having been horribly busy and overwhelmed for a while.

I've been fighting the last bit for a while now (full time work, part time grad school, and group religious/magical work) and I honestly don't expect to fully recover from the past 9 months until sometime in August. (after some actual vacation, some living space changes, and so on.) It's taking me forever to run through stuff that is normally easy (email lists, forums, replying to stuff, and even regular tasks), but it's largely because I'm running so low on reserves.

In the meantime, I'm being very conservative about assumptions about weird dreams, weird feelings, and other potential symptoms of psychic or magical weirdness, because I know my body and my psyche are low on reserves, high on stress, and generally not in tip-top shape. Most stuff I'm considering doing, I'm running by trusted friends who are willing to point out when I'm being really foolish, forgetful or overreacting.

6) On the psychic defense level: besides taking care of any underlying stresses (including times you've half-fibbed to people, etc.), basic psychic hygeine methods help a lot. Grounding, centering, shielding, warding one's home, casting circle if your practice includes that for astral work, cleansing, etc. I use my shower or bath time for a chunk of this.

Exactly which options depend on your background, preferences, etc - there's tons of folk-magic methods out there, there are religious witchcraft (Wicca, etc.), there are ceremonial magic based ones, and so on. Along with the other recommendations, I like the Denning and Phillips book on psychic self-defense for a somewhat more ceremonial/ritual model (also a good explanation of the LBRP, etc. already discussed.)

I have a normal sleep schedule, and normally will get about 9 hours every night.....some night like I mentioned above I have ended up sleeping way later for whatever reason.

My mate and I do have quite the horrible mattress however and it has been effecting my sleep GREATLY as of late.....my neck seems to be practically solid Shocked

I really can't think of too many changes in my life as of late......I don't take medications and have been taking the same vitamins for sometime and regularly trying to eat fairly healthy food with occasional slip ups (slips ups that tear my stomach to pieces)

I have lots of underlying stess............I have a lot of arguments with myself about relationships and tension from my parents constantly, especially from my mom......but this usually only occurs when I'm at their house......but can be on my mind often...........and I generally do have to "half-fib" to them about spiritual beliefs and they , as a general rule, must try to make me feel like an utter failure.............I think not letting them make me feel this way is a huge stressor trying to keep those feelings at bay, because they truly insist that I have done nothing with my life, but the truth is that I just don't really tell them enough about my life for them to give me credit b/c they just wouldn't accept it............if it's not on paper, then they can't really comprehend success....or anything really..

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)