The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 02:10:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 02:10:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend one novel.  (Read 22122 times)
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 12, 2010, 09:18:41 pm »

Gah!  Another thread that feeds my addiction...Dammit, I need *some* time off reading!

Eh, it's not so bad...once Year 12 is over, I'll have more time to read (no-one kill my fantasy.  I don't care that uni will be busier, I will have more time to read.)

I'll have to get in first and reccommend "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R Martin.  I feel humbled, ashamed and empowered reading that series.  The writing is simply brilliant.  I write a lot, so reading that is like "Wait, I'm supposed to live up to this?  Crap, I'm gonna suck...", but at the same time, it's proof that it's possible.
The characters are so brilliant and real.  They all have personalities, and they all have motivations, and they simply leap out of the page at you.  I adore this series.
I'm only finished the first book, but I'm working on that....

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WickedWit
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2013, 10:05:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Neo-Pagan & UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 13, 2010, 08:20:52 am »

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It's a children's fantasy/adventure story, but I think it's better for older children, young adults and adults because the inherent word-play tends to go over most young children's heads. It reminds me a great deal of Alice in Wonderland, actually, and it's one of my very favorite books.

I second (third?) The Phantom Tollbooth!  I recommend it to all the parents I know when they're looking for books for their kids to read.

The one I planned to recommend before I saw THAT title is Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

WickedWit

"He who cannot draw on three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe
Lemon Verbena
Apprentice
Last Login:August 16, 2010, 03:05:51 pm

Religion: Pagan Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 15, 2010, 01:54:54 pm »

Hmm. I really love "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.

Ditto on that.
I recently enjoyed reading The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett. It's a very silly take on the Pied Piper tale.
LayedBack
Apprentice
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 02:21:03 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 15, 2010, 09:05:23 pm »

I've got a short story suggestion

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka

A pretty creepy and sad little short story, give it a read, I really love the way he writes.
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 15, 2010, 11:26:11 pm »

A pretty creepy and sad little short story, give it a read, I really love the way he writes.

Hehehe, I used to think my life was like The Trial by Franz Kafka!  Cheesy

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Caomi_Brannon
Master Member
Last Login:September 09, 2010, 11:46:07 am

Religion: LeanaĆ­ Laochra: Eireannach Tradition

I write, therefore I live.

Blog entries (1)

amma.dennis

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 18, 2010, 07:27:42 am »

Anything my Franz Kafka. Awesome author, and you have to be a little bit crazy to understand what he's saying. It's awesome.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hogdson Burnett. It was one of my favorite books as a kid.

LayedBack
Apprentice
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 02:21:03 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 19, 2010, 04:24:14 pm »

Anything my Franz Kafka. Awesome author, and you have to be a little bit crazy to understand what he's saying. It's awesome.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hogdson Burnett. It was one of my favorite books as a kid.

Well I'm glad to hear that! I loved Metamorphosis so I plan on reading all of his other material as well.

I just bought both "The Brothers Karamakov" and "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoevyski. I haven't actually read any of his literature yet but it comes highly recommended, so I'm sure I'll enjoy!
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 19, 2010, 11:11:48 pm »

A little princess by the same author.  love it.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Lovesdalionking
Master Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:39:44 pm

Religion: Searching Solitary Human Being

You are beautiful, no matter what

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 01, 2010, 11:07:09 pm »

Dracula-Bram Stoker
sefiru
Master Member
Last Login:April 11, 2016, 07:41:55 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 06, 2010, 12:34:32 pm »

The Curse of Chalion, by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Seconded.  Smiley Anything she writes is awesome.

The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay. This is the only book from high school English that I went out and bought to add to my collection (it's also the only not-scifi/fantasy novel in my collection).
Raziel
Journeyman
Last Login:March 24, 2011, 09:58:43 pm

Religion: Heretical Syncretist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: July 31, 2010, 09:17:28 pm »

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. This is a big, fat novel that begs to be lived in over several months. The worldbuilding is on par with Tolkien, the writing with Jane Austen, and the fabric of the story itself is practically mythology.

<snip>

Interested?  Grin

Dang, I have started that book twice and both times been distracted away from it!   I have to pick it up again. 
I agree with you, it's a wonderful novel (at least the half that I read  Cheesy) and of a level of craft that you don't usually find in modern writers. 

And since you mention Tolkien, I'll be the cop-out who recommends The Lord of the Rings.  A mammoth read, true, and far from easy, but as enchanting and rewarding as anything you'd find.  Plus, if you take your time with it, you can enjoy it for upwards of a year, or longer.

It's always easier to hit 'ignore' and run away.....
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: July 31, 2010, 10:38:48 pm »

And since you mention Tolkien, I'll be the cop-out who recommends The Lord of the Rings.  A mammoth read, true, and far from easy, but as enchanting and rewarding as anything you'd find. 

At about 450,000 words, LOTR was mammoth for its time. But it is short compared to some more recent series.  A Song of Ice And Fire and King's Dark Tower series are each about 3 times its length. Then there is Jordan's Wheel of Time series: over 6 times its length.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: July 31, 2010, 10:45:18 pm »

One that I really enjoyed was Blackstaff by Steven Schend. It's set in Faerun (Forgotten Realms), and is about Khelben. It helps if you have some knowledge of the Realms beforehand though.

Steven also has some short stories out set in his own world that are great reads as well. Smiley

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Raziel
Journeyman
Last Login:March 24, 2011, 09:58:43 pm

Religion: Heretical Syncretist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: July 31, 2010, 10:51:49 pm »

At about 450,000 words, LOTR was mammoth for its time. But it is short compared to some more recent series.  A Song of Ice And Fire and King's Dark Tower series are each about 3 times its length. Then there is Jordan's Wheel of Time series: over 6 times its length.

True, and I love both Martin's and King's work.  My intent was to go with a one-vlume epic, however.   Grin 

King, imho, has written one of the major fantasy epics of our time; alas, being pigeonholed as a 'horror' writer, his contribution likely won't be acknowledged. 

It's always easier to hit 'ignore' and run away.....
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #29: July 31, 2010, 11:37:17 pm »

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I cannot explain it, except that is is a sci-fi/fantasy novel.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)