The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 02:24:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 02:24:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend one novel.  (Read 15073 times)
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm
United States United States

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: June 09, 2011, 11:27:42 pm »

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I cannot explain it, except that is is a sci-fi/fantasy novel
Seconded!  My favoritest SF book ever.  Well in the running for my novel of any kind ever.

My recommendation:  I'm going to go with HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brien.  The royal navy during the Napoleonic wars. 

'Course, this is cheating terribly, since it's book 3 in a 21 novel series, but its a good jumping off point.  I tried to play by the rules, but it seems like everything I'm reading these days is part of an endless series...  (or by Neil Gaiman...  I saw American Gods on the list, did anyone recommend Good Omens yet, or is that just a given?)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NatureMade
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 23, 2011, 01:47:25 pm

Religion: Atheist but Paganish - Revering Mother Earth in all her guises.

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: June 09, 2011, 11:57:32 pm »

I would like to start a thread where everyone gets a chance to recommend one novel, it can be your favorite novel. One that you feel everyone should read. Fiction, nonfiction, religious, any thing you want to recommend can go in here! The only rule is one book per post, but you can recommend a series if you want.

I estimated my personal library a few years back at over 12,000 volumes -- almost all hardbacks (I haunt library book sales) and about equally split between fiction and non-fiction. You want me to choose ONE BOOK?!!!! Shocked

I don't know whether to go with my first "grownup" read when I was 8 years old ("Tarzan of the Apes", by Edgar Rice Burroughs - I still love that book); the entire Terry Prachett series (especially "The Reaper Man", and "Mort" -- oh, and "Small Gods" and the "Wyrd Sisters" were really good too) Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series: anything by M. H. Hudson - particularly "Green Mansions"; or maybe H. Rider Haggards "She" and the sequel "Ayesha".

But then there are some of the classics like Charles Dicken's "Martin Chuzzlewit" which is worth reading for the incredibly visually descriptive opening chapter alone; M. P. Shiel's "Purple Cloud" is mind-boggling - a cross between early science fiction, fantasy and something entirely different -- steampunk horror?; "Jude the Obscure" is a less well-known Thomas Hardy novel that will jerk you around and leave you in tears even more than the rest of his stories (believe that or not, Hardy fans); and of course, you can't leave out Jules Verne's "Time Machine".

I just can't choose. There are so many!!!

There is also a really great French sci-fi novel from the 1970s I loved too - can't remember the author's name at the moment but it will come to me. The book was called "The Ice People". Oh, and speaking of French authors (though in fact he is actually Belgian, the novel is a French translation) Jean-Pierre Hallet's "Congo-Kitabu" is an absolutely fascinating real life adventure/biography of a larger than life man everyone should know about.

Hmmmm... just one?

Okay, this may sound lame after some of those, but the one book that haunts me the most is "The Eternal Savage" (originally called "The Eternal Lover") by the pulp fiction creator of Tarzan and John Carter from Mars (among his many heros) -- Edgar Rice Burroughs. This book twists time to create one of the most memorable and poignant love stories I have ever read. Yes, Burroughs was a hack, but even hacks have their moments of true inspiration. It is a short little book, but one you will remember long after you put it down. Nothing as literate as Dickens (who was actually a really funny guy by the way) or as descriptive as Hudson, but the plot is so strangely attractive...

You will just have to read it.

I could make a list as long as ten arms and just be getting started!
Sigh...
Thorn
Adept Member
Last Login:September 05, 2012, 07:09:15 pm

Religion: Ecclectic pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: June 10, 2011, 12:02:20 am »

Well in the running for my novel of any kind ever.
(Oops. That should say "...for my favorite novel of any kind...")
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: June 10, 2011, 12:21:51 am »

I estimated my personal library a few years back at over 12,000 volumes -- almost all hardbacks (I haunt library book sales) and about equally split between fiction and non-fiction.

OMG 12,000 books. I thought it was time for me to stop at approx 1000 but after reading your post I have just decided it is totally OK for me to keep buying stuff I want. So thank you.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: June 10, 2011, 07:38:12 am »

... and of course, you can't leave out Jules Verne's "Time Machine".
I think you mean H.G. Wells.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: June 10, 2011, 08:05:39 am »

OMG 12,000 books. I thought it was time for me to stop at approx 1000 but after reading your post I have just decided it is totally OK for me to keep buying stuff I want. So thank you.

I've got around 200 books I want to get rid of, but I don't deliver so you'd have to pick them up yourself.

As for recommendations... The Belgariad series by David Eddings is awesome.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
NatureMade
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: June 10, 2011, 10:23:10 am »

I think you mean H.G. Wells.

Sunflower
Opps! I was thinking about Verne's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and just as I was about to write that I suddenly remembered "The Time Machine". It was late, what can I say...  Roll Eyes Between Captain Nemo and the Morloks there is so much to love!
NatureMade
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #52: June 10, 2011, 10:29:17 am »

You're welcome! In my opinion one can never have too many books. I have a room 20' x 24' with floor to ceiling shelves on all four walls (even over and under windows and around the door). Those are all completely full so I have stacks of books on the floor and desks. There are boxes in the attic and on every other available shelf throughout the house. I think that makes me sort of officially crazy.

I keep meaning to get around to writing a will so I can donate them to a rural school or something when I die. The very thought that they will be thrown out when I am no longer around to protect them, makes me determined to live forever.  Grin
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #53: June 10, 2011, 03:58:10 pm »

I would like to start a thread where everyone gets a chance to recommend one novel, it can be your favorite novel. One that you feel everyone should read. Fiction, nonfiction, religious, any thing you want to recommend can go in here! The only rule is one book per post, but you can recommend a series if you want.

The Illustrated Mum, by Jacqueline Wilson. Yes, I know it's a kiddie read, but it is deceptively simple, and really heartbreaking, once you get into it. It's written from the perspective of a 10-year-old girl who lives with her manic-depressive single mother and her older sister, who has to keep everything together. No book about living with mental illness can be a simple kiddie read.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: June 11, 2011, 12:48:02 am »

You're welcome! In my opinion one can never have too many books. I have a room 20' x 24' with floor to ceiling shelves on all four walls (even over and under windows and around the door). Those are all completely full so I have stacks of books on the floor and desks. There are boxes in the attic and on every other available shelf throughout the house. I think that makes me sort of officially crazy.

I keep meaning to get around to writing a will so I can donate them to a rural school or something when I die. The very thought that they will be thrown out when I am no longer around to protect them, makes me determined to live forever.  Grin

Would it be creepy if I said you were my new Hero?  Smiley
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #55: June 11, 2011, 06:13:03 am »

When your shelves can hold all your books... it's time to buy more books! Grin

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: June 11, 2011, 06:19:09 am »

When your shelves can hold all your books... it's time to buy more books! Grin

And more book shelves.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Lokabrenna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 03, 2012, 09:14:37 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Goddess-oriented Pagan with Vanic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: June 16, 2011, 01:34:51 am »

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is my very favourite novel. It was my introduction to both these authors. It's funny, at times horrifying (but mostly funny) and I think I've probably read it at least ten times, at least.
Nixie
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 27, 2011, 04:03:43 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #58: June 27, 2011, 01:56:57 pm »

The Lord of the Rings (3 in 1 book)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)