The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 23, 2019, 02:03:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2019, 02:03:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Value of ADF for undecided pagans  (Read 2035 times)
Siya
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 07, 2011, 02:52:24 am
United States United States

Religion: polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 12, 2010, 03:17:37 am »

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, but I'm going to ask it here anyway.

Is it worth it to join ADF for the dedicant materials if you are not necessarily considering a Druid path?

I am asking because I have been going through RCIA for the past year, and I've learned a lot through the more structured "initiation" process (including that liking the core message of the Gospels does not outweigh a basic inability to comprehend monotheism and some of the core tenets of the church, lol). While I am capable of doing research on my own, I get more out of it when there are discussions, focused questions to be researching, and so on. A little direction goes a long way and all.

ADF's membership comes with access to the year-long dedicant guide with reading assignments, exercises, and etc., and glancing at their reading list on their website, it seems like they hit a lot of the reconstructionist reading materials and give a really good overview of early European paganism. And looking at their book list, I recognize many, many names and have read a couple of the books, and it seems like they avoid the fluff and inaccurate research pretty well. I feel like I would get an excellent overview of not just Druidry but a lot of the beliefs of various recon paths through this program.

On the other hand, I do not know if Druidry is the path I am meant to take, and I really don't want to commit to something so quickly again. I'm open to it, but I want to make sure I've had a chance to get my bearings before I make a commitment of any sort.

So what I'm really asking, I guess, is: 1. Am I misconstruing the dedicant guide through ADF? Is it a more solitary process, or are there ways to contact and discuss with other "newbs" the materials you're reading even if you're not close enough to a grove to visit in person? And 2. Do they require a major commitment to embark on the dedicant training (i.e., do I actually have to dedicate myself in any long-term sense to Druidry), or are they also accepting of serious-ish dabblers?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 12, 2010, 09:04:00 am »

ADF's membership comes with access to the year-long dedicant guide with reading assignments, exercises, and etc., and glancing at their reading list on their website, it seems like they hit a lot of the reconstructionist reading materials and give a really good overview of early European paganism. And looking at their book list, I recognize many, many names and have read a couple of the books, and it seems like they avoid the fluff and inaccurate research pretty well. I feel like I would get an excellent overview of not just Druidry but a lot of the beliefs of various recon paths through this program.

That is one of the things ADF prides itself in.  And you're right. It would be an excellent overall study.   

So what I'm really asking, I guess, is: 1. Am I misconstruing the dedicant guide through ADF? Is it a more solitary process, or are there ways to contact and discuss with other "newbs" the materials you're reading even if you're not close enough to a grove to visit in person? And 2. Do they require a major commitment to embark on the dedicant training (i.e., do I actually have to dedicate myself in any long-term sense to Druidry), or are they also accepting of serious-ish dabblers?

First off, doing the dedicant study is not even required, that's only if you wish too.  I know many that don't.  Second, the membership gives you access to forums that are not open to public, so you can go there and discuss many things.  Which is very good if you are solitary.  And you don't HAVE to finish it in a year, I know a person who's been working on it for several.  They are very accepting of serious-ish dabblers, Smiley

Also, if I remember correctly, you can request a mentor to help you with your program too if you feel the need. 

But as I said, I know many members who don't do the program and I know several who also follow other paths or who participate because their SO is very interested in ADF.   Personally, I love the grove near me and the people in it.  It feels more 'right' then the group I was with before who are VERY electic.  Not even sure you can call them Wiccianish cause they combine some of the strangest paths together. Sad  Anywho, if you can get to a grove it might give you a better idea.
Siya
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 12, 2010, 02:40:45 pm »

Thank you for the reply! It sounds like there are others who do the same thing. I will definitely give joining some serious consideration, then. I just didn't want to waste my/their time if there was a major commitment to the path expected.
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 13, 2010, 09:48:37 pm »

Is it worth it to join ADF for the dedicant materials if you are not necessarily considering a Druid path?

It can be, yeah. I never actually self-identified as "Druid"- if asked my religion, I would say "ADF" and explain if needed and I was a member for several years (still am, though my membership is about to run out) I completed the Dedican't program and went so far as to begin on the clergy training program.

You would definitely get a good grounding in ADF's take on Druidry (which, by nature of it's pan-IE inclusiveness is going to be rather different from a purely Celtic druidic organization.) And yes, ADF does seem to attract quite a few recons, so between reading the books and interacting with other members, you've got a pretty good chance of picking up some learning about cultural reconstructions as well.

On the other hand, I do not know if Druidry is the path I am meant to take, and I really don't want to commit to something so quickly again. I'm open to it, but I want to make sure I've had a chance to get my bearings before I make a commitment of any sort.

Well, as has already been established, this isn't really a concern.

So what I'm really asking, I guess, is: 1. Am I misconstruing the dedicant guide through ADF? Is it a more solitary process, or are there ways to contact and discuss with other "newbs" the materials you're reading even if you're not close enough to a grove to visit in person?

If you're not near a grove, or prefer not to affiliate with a grove, there is a list specifically for dedicants, there's also a livejournal community, if you use LJ and someone set up a forum for discussions on the books on the dedicants lists. Plus, it was already mentioned that you can request a mentor.

And 2. Do they require a major commitment to embark on the dedicant training (i.e., do I actually have to dedicate myself in any long-term sense to Druidry), or are they also accepting of serious-ish dabblers?

There is no requirement to commit yourself to anything. There is a "dedicants oath" as a required part of the program, but that's a strictly personal thing- you write it up and perform the oath and whatever ritual you choose on your own. Whatever/whoever you oath yourself to is up to you. Heck, looking back, I sorta think that bits of my oath were some of the earliest threads of my eventual leaving.

Hope that helps...if there's anything else you want to discuss about this, I'm more than happy to talk about it.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
Siya
Senior Apprentice

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 23, 2010, 02:45:27 pm »

So I decided to go ahead and do this.

I've joined the mailing list and I am going to join the LJ dedicants community, but I was wondering if anyone here was working on the DP stuff and wanted people to chat with about the reading, the "homework," etc.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 23, 2010, 02:50:48 pm »

So I decided to go ahead and do this.

I've joined the mailing list and I am going to join the LJ dedicants community, but I was wondering if anyone here was working on the DP stuff and wanted people to chat with about the reading, the "homework," etc.

I've actually been looking at ADF's DP for awhile and, maybe as a present to myself in the next month, was going to start down the road myself. I too don't consider myself Druid at the moment, but I'm a huge fan of Isaac Bonewits and I appreciate ADF's approach to religion and spirituality. So if/when I sign up, I'll definitely let you know. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)