The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2020, 03:57:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 03:57:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ostara fest plans! (especially Asatru/Heathen)  (Read 15585 times)
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am
United States United States

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 12, 2010, 11:59:26 pm »

Hey all, this is a thread for everyone to gather, plan, pre-game, whatever about the upcoming festival of Ostara! How do you plan on celebrating this day?

Personally, I plan on getting a hair-cut (one of four times a year, guess when the other three are!), and going to the Chicago area with a couple friends to a wonderful quaint place called the Celtic Knot. Granted, it's the wrong half of my faith to celebrate the day, but the German restaurant I love to go is 3 hours away, in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Since the only times I go there are on very special occasions (aka, visiting the J.R.R. Tolkien exhibit), I'll wait for another festival day to go there.

Now it's your turn! For those who haven't thought about it yet, it's never too late to get a hair-cut!  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:11:24 pm by Hyacinth Belle » Logged

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 13, 2010, 04:15:16 am »

Now it's your turn!
The Equinox also happens to coincide with the Thelemic New Year. There's a rite we're doing at our OTO lodge for it, as well as having some brethren from Italy coming up for a Gnostic Mass. Should be good times!

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 13, 2010, 08:18:49 am »

If my budget oks it, then we will be going to Ann Arbor to the local groves ritual.  It's not 'far' but gas is going up and I didn't work at all this week.  My currant job is becoming unreliable.  If we can't make it we will have something small here but either way I also plan on working on 'spring' crafts for the outside.  I have some birdfeeders I need to paint and prepare, and some outdoor decorations to touch up before they go back outside.  Also we will be starting some seeds indoors that weekend too.
alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 13, 2010, 08:21:31 am »

The Equinox also happens to coincide with the Thelemic New Year. There's a rite we're doing at our OTO lodge for it, as well as having some brethren from Italy coming up for a Gnostic Mass. Should be good times!

Hopefully it will be so! Forgive the ignorance on my part, what is a Gnostic Mass? The extent of the word gnosis I understand is that it pertains to spiritual knowledge (ex: gnostic gospels).

For all intensive purposes, have a happy new year!  Cheesy

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 13, 2010, 08:39:17 am »

If my budget oks it, then we will be going to Ann Arbor to the local groves ritual.  It's not 'far' but gas is going up and I didn't work at all this week.  My currant job is becoming unreliable.  If we can't make it we will have something small here but either way I also plan on working on 'spring' crafts for the outside.  I have some birdfeeders I need to paint and prepare, and some outdoor decorations to touch up before they go back outside.  Also we will be starting some seeds indoors that weekend too.

Well, dragonfly_high, best wishes for your budget and work situations. I wish I could have a bird feeder here where I live, but the landlord ain't too keen about me hanging stuff out the window.  Tongue

I have to ask, is the local grove you're referring to ADF?

UlsterYank
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 13, 2010, 12:08:38 pm »

Hopefully it will be so! Forgive the ignorance on my part, what is a Gnostic Mass? The extent of the word gnosis I understand is that it pertains to spiritual knowledge (ex: gnostic gospels).

For all intensive purposes, have a happy new year!  Cheesy
Liber XV, it's the central public and private rite of the OTO, and our ecclesiastical wing, E.G.C(Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica, Gnostic Catholic church) It was constructed by Crowley in 1913 when he was in Moscow and inspired by the Eastern Orthodox Church there. It was constructed emphasising the pre-Christian elements behind the Mass, and a vessel for Thelema.
 The Great Rite in Wicca is based off of Crowley's Gnostic Mass. Gardner was a brethren himself.  Wink

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 13, 2010, 12:48:12 pm »

I have to ask, is the local grove you're referring to ADF?

Thank you, there seems to be a good chance on going after all. Cheesy *doing the happy dance*.

Yes, it is.  Shining Lakes Grove.
alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 13, 2010, 09:17:23 pm »

Liber XV, it's the central public and private rite of the OTO, and our ecclesiastical wing, E.G.C(Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica, Gnostic Catholic church) It was constructed by Crowley in 1913 when he was in Moscow and inspired by the Eastern Orthodox Church there. It was constructed emphasising the pre-Christian elements behind the Mass, and a vessel for Thelema.
 The Great Rite in Wicca is based off of Crowley's Gnostic Mass. Gardner was a brethren himself.  Wink

That sounds sweet, and pretty interesting since it's got some cool historical ties. Hope you find it fulfilling this spring equinox.

Hail Morrigan!

alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 13, 2010, 09:26:23 pm »

Thank you, there seems to be a good chance on going after all. Cheesy *doing the happy dance*.

Yes, it is.  Shining Lakes Grove.

Yay! Good news for one cool person is good news for all cool people!

I've been contemplating looking more into ADF. Although I'm a half / half norse and celtic God/Goddess worshiper, druidism has been becoming more and more of an interest that I want to incorporate into my path. If I can find out how strict to the exact theology behind druidism I have to be, I'll have enough info to take the plunge, because everything else about it captivates me.

I feel kinda guilty with the Celtic high jacking of the Heathenry SIG. Although I guess I could start a Asatru Ostara celebration in the Celtic SIG, are there any asatruar that are celebrating? Bob, you've got interesting things to say, reading this by chance?  Smiley

dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 13, 2010, 09:33:09 pm »

I've been contemplating looking more into ADF. Although I'm a half / half norse and celtic God/Goddess worshiper, druidism has been becoming more and more of an interest that I want to incorporate into my path. If I can find out how strict to the exact theology behind druidism I have to be, I'll have enough info to take the plunge, because everything else about it captivates me.

It actually covers way more then just Celtic deities.  Members honor deities from Celtic, Germanic, Lithuanian, Polish, Greek and other Indo-European deities besides ancestors and nature spirits.  Makes for interesting conversations. Cheesy
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 14, 2010, 01:43:54 am »

I will be having some friends round, doing a small ritual with those that are Pagan, and then feeding everyone and generally having a good time.  Smiley

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
UlsterYank
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 14, 2010, 03:15:23 am »

Hail Morrigan!
Go mbeannaítear a Mhór-Ríoghain!
 Smiley

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: March 14, 2010, 12:53:18 pm »

I feel kinda guilty with the Celtic high jacking of the Heathenry SIG.

If the thread needs moved, it can be--just say something and one of us staffers will move it.  Smiley  I actually hadn't looked at what folder it was in until you said something and was surprised to find it in this one.  I'd thought Ostara was more Wiccan or maybe Celtic.  Is it common for Asatru to celebrate Ostara?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 14, 2010, 01:25:39 pm »

If the thread needs moved, it can be--just say something and one of us staffers will move it.  Smiley  I actually hadn't looked at what folder it was in until you said something and was surprised to find it in this one.  I'd thought Ostara was more Wiccan or maybe Celtic.  Is it common for Asatru to celebrate Ostara?

I'm honestly not sure! I found information on it while reading Exploring the Northern Tradition by Galina Krasskova, in the chapter Holy Tides, on page 183. That, and there is a section dedicated to Ostara (Eostre) in The Gods and Goddesses chapter, on page 112. That, and it was mentioned in passing somewhere in the SIG. The book claims to focus on Heathen and Asatruar practices.

And yet, on the other hand it would explain the lack of Heathen replies!  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:33:18 pm by alleyesonazarath, Reason: forgot important fact » Logged

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 14, 2010, 01:40:36 pm »

I'm honestly not sure! I found information on it while reading Exploring the Northern Tradition by Galina Krasskova, in the chapter Holy Tides, on page 183. That, and there is a section dedicated to Ostara (Eostre) in The Gods and Goddesses chapter, on page 112. That, and it was mentioned in passing somewhere in the SIG. The book claims to focus on Heathen and Asatruar practices.

And yet, on the other hand it would explain the lack of Heathen replies!  Tongue

I think Imbolc, Beltaine, Samhain and Lugnassah are the Celtic celebrations/Wiccan Wheel of the Year. 

Yule and Ostara (Eostre) are Heathen and also a part of the Wiccan Wheel of the Year.  But according to this website Ostara is also called Summer Finding.  http://www.ravenkindred.com/RBHolidays.html.  Ostara is a Germanic Goddess.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.