The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2020, 03:16:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 03:16:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ostara fest plans! (especially Asatru/Heathen)  (Read 15583 times)
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am
United States United States

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 14, 2010, 01:45:08 pm »

I think Imbolc, Beltaine, Samhain and Lugnassah are the Celtic celebrations/Wiccan Wheel of the Year.  

Yule and Ostara (Eostre) are Heathen and also a part of the Wiccan Wheel of the Year.  But according to this website Ostara is also called Summer Finding.  http://www.ravenkindred.com/RBHolidays.html.  Ostara is a Germanic Goddess.

Thank you SatAset for the information, as well as the link to the Web site! I apologize for all confusion!

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 14, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »

If the thread needs moved, it can be--just say something and one of us staffers will move it.  Smiley  I actually hadn't looked at what folder it was in until you said something and was surprised to find it in this one.  I'd thought Ostara was more Wiccan or maybe Celtic.  Is it common for Asatru to celebrate Ostara?

Ostara is definitely not traditionally Celtic, though it is in the Wiccan Wheel of the Year.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 14, 2010, 02:21:30 pm »

Yule and Ostara (Eostre) are Heathen and also a part of the Wiccan Wheel of the Year.  But according to this website Ostara is also called Summer Finding.  http://www.ravenkindred.com/RBHolidays.html.  Ostara is a Germanic Goddess.

That's why I thought it was in this folder. Smiley 
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: March 14, 2010, 04:59:15 pm »

Hey all, this is a thread for everyone to gather, plan, pre-game, whatever about the upcoming festival of Ostara! How do you plan on celebrating this day?
The haircut sounds like a good idea! As for me, I'll be working in the morning. Afterward, I plan to get a free Rita's Italian ice to blot with. Cheesy Rita's gives away free ice every year the first day of spring. This is the first time I'll be giving it away though, and it is definitely a sacrifice! lol. I could get a second one later in the day probably, but that feels dishonorable. haha. I am also thinking about taking some seasonal photographs, although I'm not sure where yet. And probably baking something festive.

The weather has been warmer here lately and it's finally feeling like spring after all the snow. Yay!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: March 14, 2010, 05:06:25 pm »

If the thread needs moved, it can be--just say something and one of us staffers will move it.  Smiley  I actually hadn't looked at what folder it was in until you said something and was surprised to find it in this one.  I'd thought Ostara was more Wiccan or maybe Celtic.  Is it common for Asatru to celebrate Ostara?
Yeah, Ostara is a Heathen holiday too... although if non-Heathen people posted here too I guess it's no biggie. Smiley I can understand people not noticing the folder, and the OP didn't make it clear either. EDIT to clarify: But if non-Heathen people now wanted to make a more general thread too, that would be good as well. If the conversation could steer in the overall Asatru/Heathen direction, it would be appreciated. But as I said, no biggie.

That's one thing I liked about Asatru. When I first started learning about Wicca as a default when exploring Paganism, I always liked the Wiccan holidays, but not too much else about it. When I realized a long time later Heathen holidays were similar that made me happy! I don't go crazy with the holidays, but I like to recognize the solstices and equinoxes, and May Day and Winter Nights.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:09:25 pm by Hyacinth Belle » Logged

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: March 14, 2010, 05:12:34 pm »

Another update: I've edited the title of the thread to make it clearer now!

I hope this suits everyone; I'm a newbie at the moderating thing. Wink

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #21: March 14, 2010, 05:14:20 pm »

Yule and Ostara (Eostre) are Heathen and also a part of the Wiccan Wheel of the Year.  But according to this website Ostara is also called Summer Finding.  http://www.ravenkindred.com/RBHolidays.html.  Ostara is a Germanic Goddess.
That's another thing: it seems like any Asatru or Heathen holiday has a dozen different names for basically the same thing! lol.

alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 14, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »

Another update: I've edited the title of the thread to make it clearer now!

I hope this suits everyone; I'm a newbie at the moderating thing. Wink

And I'm still like a baby on this forum! I just realized I've only been on here for 2 months, unlike the DC forum which I've been for 6 months, yet I have a better understanding of the rules here (lol, and less notoriety than I do there!).

Go ahead, rename away, and bravo to the italian ice! I plan on offering up some celery, carrot, turkey, and an apple earlier in the day. Want my Gods and Goddesses to stay healthy now.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: March 14, 2010, 05:33:30 pm »

Go ahead, rename away, and bravo to the italian ice! I plan on offering up some celery, carrot, turkey, and an apple earlier in the day. Want my Gods and Goddesses to stay healthy now.
No, not me. I'll load 'em up on sugar. lmao.

Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 15, 2010, 10:41:41 am »

Hey all, this is a thread for everyone to gather, plan, pre-game, whatever about the upcoming festival of Ostara! How do you plan on celebrating this day?

Well, my plans are simple... VACATION!

My wife and I planned to take a vacation around this time to the Greediest Place on Earth (you get a chocolate chip cookie if you guess correctly Smiley ).  While driving we have set aside a nice 3 hour block for dinner and family time for this occasion.  Haven't found a decent restaurant though, but we do plan on stopping somewhere.  There do not appear to be many places that have German food on the menu in Georgia, at least along our route.  I will just offer up some of our veggies and fruits that we are taking to snack on, but maybe some of my protein shake (more sacred to me than beer... how is that possible?!?).

alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 15, 2010, 11:12:05 am »

Well, my plans are simple... VACATION!

My wife and I planned to take a vacation around this time to the Greediest Place on Earth (you get a chocolate chip cookie if you guess correctly Smiley ).  While driving we have set aside a nice 3 hour block for dinner and family time for this occasion.  Haven't found a decent restaurant though, but we do plan on stopping somewhere.  There do not appear to be many places that have German food on the menu in Georgia, at least along our route.  I will just offer up some of our veggies and fruits that we are taking to snack on, but maybe some of my protein shake (more sacred to me than beer... how is that possible?!?).

Lol, sounds like you're too healthy for your own good. Everything in moderation, after all!

When you said greediest place on earth, I originally thought about posting the Vatican (in part my UPG, but also because it would have been a play-on words with Vacation!), and then I thought about Las Vegas, but you mentioned Georgia along the route... By chance Disney World? That place is sweet, even though I'm 23 I still want to go there again, mostly because of nostalgia over the many cartoon movies that warped my mind.

I'd still have to argue the greediest place on earth would be Springfield, IL. They're not funding our schools the money they said they would, not picking up the road kill on the side of the road, and selling senate seats... On top of that, there aren't any cool roller coasters there. Trust me, it isn't a place to take the kids too.  Sad

Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 15, 2010, 12:42:46 pm »

Lol, sounds like you're too healthy for your own good. Everything in moderation, after all!

When you said greediest place on earth, I originally thought about posting the Vatican (in part my UPG, but also because it would have been a play-on words with Vacation!), and then I thought about Las Vegas, but you mentioned Georgia along the route... By chance Disney World? That place is sweet, even though I'm 23 I still want to go there again, mostly because of nostalgia over the many cartoon movies that warped my mind.

I'd still have to argue the greediest place on earth would be Springfield, IL. They're not funding our schools the money they said they would, not picking up the road kill on the side of the road, and selling senate seats... On top of that, there aren't any cool roller coasters there. Trust me, it isn't a place to take the kids too.  Sad

Yes, it is Disney World that we are traveling to.  Mostly for my daughter and for my wife.  I have been there and done that, with little desire to return.  Now if it was Cedar Point we were talking... that is a horse of a different color (ooooo look it's purple!).  This trip will be fun for our spring break from college though.

alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 15, 2010, 04:13:41 pm »

Yes, it is Disney World that we are traveling to.  Mostly for my daughter and for my wife.  I have been there and done that, with little desire to return.  Now if it was Cedar Point we were talking... that is a horse of a different color (ooooo look it's purple!).  This trip will be fun for our spring break from college though.

Best wishes for your trip, and I hope it turns out to be fun! Better to go now than in the summer! Smiley

UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #28: March 16, 2010, 04:32:01 pm »

( Not quoted because of general reply)
Even though the Spring Equinox, cónacht an earraigh, isn't consider one of the four great festivals of the Gaelic year, it's still an important day, and turning point of the year.
Also, The Equinox wasn't originally part of the Wiccan year either. The Lesser Sabbats were adopted when Gardner's mates wanted more days in the year to have parties.....never the less, good times.

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #29: March 16, 2010, 10:17:36 pm »

( Not quoted because of general reply)
Even though the Spring Equinox, cónacht an earraigh, isn't consider one of the four great festivals of the Gaelic year, it's still an important day, and turning point of the year.
Also, The Equinox wasn't originally part of the Wiccan year either. The Lesser Sabbats were adopted when Gardner's mates wanted more days in the year to have parties.....never the less, good times.
Even if it's a "general response," you should still quote. Just quote the original post. Thanks!

Also, this doesn't seem like a general response at all, but it sounds as though you're replying to Star's post about which religions celebrate Ostara.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.