The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 24, 2020, 06:05:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 06:05:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: US Reminder: Daylight Savings Time Starts 2am March 14, 2010  (Read 5279 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 13, 2010, 11:00:25 pm »

Just a reminder, in most of the US you need to set your clocks ahead one hour tonight (March 13, 2010) or you will be late in the morning.  DST official starts at 2am on March 14 when it suddenly becomes 3am, but who wants to reset all the clocks in the house at 2 in the morning?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 13, 2010, 11:32:31 pm »

Just a reminder, in most of the US you need to set your clocks ahead one hour tonight (March 13, 2010) or you will be late in the morning.  DST official starts at 2am on March 14 when it suddenly becomes 3am, but who wants to reset all the clocks in the house at 2 in the morning?

Thanks for the reminder Randall. At the rate my paper is going, I may be up at 2am to switch the clocks.....  Undecided

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 14, 2010, 01:40:38 am »

This is where things are weird. BST doesn't start intil Marth 28th! (BST is British Summer Time for those who don't know) We aren't moving our clocks for another 2 weeks......... Huh

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
WickedWit
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2013, 10:05:25 pm

Religion: Hellenic Neo-Pagan & UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 14, 2010, 03:01:49 am »

This is where things are weird. BST doesn't start intil Marth 28th! (BST is British Summer Time for those who don't know) We aren't moving our clocks for another 2 weeks......... Huh

It gets VERY hairy to time the weekly phone calls to hubby's family in England this time of year Cheesy

WickedWit

"He who cannot draw on three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 14, 2010, 03:11:10 am »

It gets VERY hairy to time the weekly phone calls to hubby's family in England this time of year Cheesy

At least it is only for two weeks

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #5: March 14, 2010, 07:30:44 am »

Same here, we switch on summer time last weekend in March.
Oh I already hate it. *sigh*

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: March 14, 2010, 08:16:59 am »

Until a few years ago, the US did not switch until the first Sunday in April. They Congress decided to change it yet again. It was supposed to be an experiment to see if it saved any energy. As I recall, it did not appear to save nearly the energy predicted -- but we are still doing it.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #7: March 14, 2010, 10:05:55 am »

Until a few years ago, the US did not switch until the first Sunday in April. They Congress decided to change it yet again. It was supposed to be an experiment to see if it saved any energy. As I recall, it did not appear to save nearly the energy predicted -- but we are still doing it.

*snort*
Right, it is saving ****.
But still they cling to it, and it costs loads of money each year to change all the clocks and schedules and so on.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 14, 2010, 11:30:21 am »

Here in Argentina, we don't even change the time. We did in 2008, after 20 years (more or less) of not changing the time in summer and winter, and people got really mad. Everyone started having problems. I don't know if that's the reason, but the president decided to not change the time again.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 14, 2010, 11:49:51 am »

Here in Argentina, we don't even change the time. We did in 2008, after 20 years (more or less) of not changing the time in summer and winter, and people got really mad. Everyone started having problems. I don't know if that's the reason, but the president decided to not change the time again.

I wish that we didn't-it's an absolute pain in the backside!

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: March 14, 2010, 01:00:27 pm »

Insert biannual grumbling here.  GAH!

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: March 14, 2010, 01:17:03 pm »

*hands cookies and chocolate*
I'm only glad that it is not just me.
Every spring I'm ready to kill those morons that go: weee, it is longer light now. *argh*

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #12: March 14, 2010, 03:16:28 pm »

*hands cookies and chocolate*
I'm only glad that it is not just me.
Every spring I'm ready to kill those morons that go: weee, it is longer light now. *argh*

I don't think they're morons--I know many people have good reasons for wanting it to be light longer in the evening, even if I'd rather hold onto the morning sunshine.  (It was just getting to the point where it was light when I got to work.  So much for that.)  What gets me, though, is that until a few years ago my state didn't do daylight saving time, and...  Maybe it's just because I grew up with that arrangement, but I always thought that was the sensible way to do things.  Changing clocks just throws me way out of whack, every year, both times. 

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #13: March 14, 2010, 03:49:09 pm »

I don't think they're morons--I know many people have good reasons for wanting it to be light longer in the evening, even if I'd rather hold onto the morning sunshine.  (It was just getting to the point where it was light when I got to work.  So much for that.)  What gets me, though, is that until a few years ago my state didn't do daylight saving time, and...  Maybe it's just because I grew up with that arrangement, but I always thought that was the sensible way to do things.  Changing clocks just throws me way out of whack, every year, both times. 

This. The morning is dark again. Lots of saving there.
And when I was little, we didn't do that either.

I think it is stupid to go for the 'it is light longer' because, yeah, that's spring, it is starting to be longer light anyway.
It is only a few weeks, where that effect is really noticeable and for that all the trouble.
Recently I've read that some doctors made a study that the winter (normal) time is much healthier.
Which I believe at once.

GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 03:32:54 am

Religion: Agnostic Pessimist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 14, 2010, 03:55:04 pm »

No kidding.  I normally get about 5-6 hours of sleep per night, but I got 4 last night.  Then I got up to be at work at 0600 30 miles away to work for 12 hours.

At least I'm coherent now... I think.

Cease then and let me alone,
that I may take comfort a little before I go whence I shall not return,
even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
a land of darkness, as darkness itself,
and of the shadow of death without any order,
and where the light is as darkness.

- Job

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)