The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 02:16:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 02:16:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Only 9 More Days 'Til Our New Home is Ready!  (Read 3630 times)
Tirah
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2008, 08:46:29 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 22, 2007, 10:28:26 pm »

Any suggestions on blessings, decorating, gardening, etc.

For the painting I'm planning on lots of purple and blues in the shades of twilight.  I want to add stenciling to my kitchen and bathroom walls but I haven't decided what designs and symbols.

Also I'm planning on re-doing the bedding in front of the front porch.  Any tips?  I have a large potted rosemary bush that I want to transplant into the bed - any tips on where?  I was thinking about by the front door.

Why conform to society when you can reform society?
---Tirah Dragonsong

Discovering My Path: http://tirah.livejournal.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 23, 2007, 10:00:20 am »

For the painting I'm planning on lots of purple and blues in the shades of twilight.  I want to add stenciling to my kitchen and bathroom walls but I haven't decided what designs and symbols.

Also I'm planning on re-doing the bedding in front of the front porch.  Any tips?  I have a large potted rosemary bush that I want to transplant into the bed - any tips on where?  I was thinking about by the front door.

Painting...  garg.  This year I've taken on my living room, two bathrooms and a hallway.

It ALWAYS!  looks darker once you get it on the walls, so choose carefully color wise.  I left my ceilings white because I like the contrast, and because I have white moldings but with lighter colors, painting the ceiling can make the room appear to have higher ceilings. 

Even though it's tempting to go nuts, try to keep resale value in mind.  Neutral colors hold value, whereas brights and unusual colors tend to look dated within a few years and might make selling (5-10 years down the road) difficult. 

Behr.com has a section where you can actually build palates to see what colors will look like next to each other.   Places where warm and cool colors meet are tough.

Happy insanity - I mean painting...  Wink

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: May 23, 2007, 05:42:23 pm »

It ALWAYS!  looks darker once you get it on the walls, so choose carefully color wise.

Personally, I think it is worth buying sample sizes of colors you are considering and painting good-sized swatches on the wall of the room, letting them dry and seeing how they look. This is especially a good idea if you are thinking of a major color change.

Even though it's tempting to go nuts, try to keep resale value in mind.  Neutral colors hold value, whereas brights and unusual colors tend to look dated within a few years and might make selling (5-10 years down the road) difficult.

True, but if you are planning on living in the house for at least 4-5 years and don't like neutral colors, the value to you of enjoying your home may outweigh the value of neutral colors when/if it is time to sell.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Beachglass
Master Member
Last Login:August 22, 2013, 12:19:05 am

Religion: Nonspecific Pagan-Leaning

Blog entries (10)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 23, 2007, 07:44:51 pm »

True, but if you are planning on living in the house for at least 4-5 years and don't like neutral colors, the value to you of enjoying your home may outweigh the value of neutral colors when/if it is time to sell.

And you can always repaint, anyway.  Smiley

"the further we go and older we grow the more we know the less we show"
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 23, 2007, 08:00:30 pm »

Personally, I think it is worth buying sample sizes of colors you are considering and painting good-sized swatches on the wall of the room, letting them dry and seeing how they look. This is especially a good idea if you are thinking of a major color change.

True true.  I was watching DIY network last night and they had mentioned it, so it came to mind as a quotable quote.

That and I'm lazy.  It was bad enough painting ONCE!!  I would be hard pressed to paint again for someone elses comfort even at adding another couple thou to a purchase price.

-LIz Pahir
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 23, 2007, 10:11:46 pm »

That and I'm lazy.  It was bad enough painting ONCE!!  I would be hard pressed to paint again for someone elses comfort even at adding another couple thou to a purchase price.

Most of the houses I've seen HGTV and DIY talk about painting neutral colors to sell seem to be in high-priced housing areas, where a little bit of effort like that might make $20K-30K difference in the price. It would not be worth the effort for a couple of thousand -- at least not IMHO.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 23, 2007, 10:36:59 pm »

Most of the houses I've seen HGTV and DIY talk about painting neutral colors to sell seem to be in high-priced housing areas, where a little bit of effort like that might make $20K-30K difference in the price. It would not be worth the effort for a couple of thousand -- at least not IMHO.

Everything on those shows is LA/Ca and other really expensive places.  The one I was watching last night was a gal who redid her living room to see how much more she could get for the place.

Same deal with "Clean House" where they do these big yard sales where they make like 800-1000$.  I think I've made like 250$ on a yard sale on a good day.

-LIz Pahir
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: May 23, 2007, 10:44:00 pm »

My recent article on cleansing/claiming/protecting a home is at http://www.rendingtheveil.com/article.php?article=61 -- easier than recapitulating. :}

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)