The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 22, 2020, 07:54:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2020, 07:54:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: OCD Habits  (Read 9148 times)
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 19, 2010, 02:57:35 am »

Does either you or your SO have a habit or quirk that is almost OCD and either drives you completely nuts or has you rolling on the floor laughing?

For example- I have a habit when people buy me Skittles (yes, I do mean the sweets) that my hubby and my daughter find hysterically funny. I have to sort them out into the correct colour groups and then eat them in a certain order. I can't eat them if I don't. I know, it's completely irrational and more than a little stupid, but I just can't help it. Noel will occasionally really get me annoyed by mixing them all up again when I'm not looking. It drives me crazy and he knows it! Tongue

So, what are your little OCD moments?

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Siya
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 07, 2011, 02:52:24 am
United States United States

Religion: polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 19, 2010, 05:12:35 am »

I do the Skittles thing too. Cheesy I refuse to believe that they are meant to be eaten all mixed up. Everyone else is just doing it wrong. Also with M&Ms. Or any sort of multicolored candy, really.

I have a bunch of other OCD quirks, but I'm pretty sure I have actual OCD. Undecided Some of the just kind of annoying and maybe sort of funny habits are that shoes without feet in them absolutely must have their toes pointed at the nearest wall, and preferably the toes would be touching that wall. And this isn't an issue now that I have no dishwasher, but when I did have one, the silverware had to be distributed evenly between the silverware cups, and the plates had to be in the washer with the biggest on the right or at the back, descending in order to the smallest. I was a dishwasher fascist and drove my roommates crazy.
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 19, 2010, 06:46:39 am »

I've got a few, and I don't think any of my in-person friends have ever noticed. When I do things, I have to be a sort-of perfectionist about them.

When I work out, it has to be on a monday, wednesday, or a friday, and it has to be the type of workout I do for that particular day, to the extent that I perform said workout. It can never be partial, otherwise I just don't do that workout for that week.

I have a knack when praying, if it's something serious I need to repeat what I've said a few times, just to feel comfortable with it. I also have a compulsion where I pray in thanks for my lunch I eat. Don't ask me why only that meal, it just seems to be the case at the moment!

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 19, 2010, 06:55:59 am »

I have a bunch of other OCD quirks, but I'm pretty sure I have actual OCD.

Join the club. I've mostly learnt to control it but as a kid I had to count things (bricks, floor tiles, etc.), line things up perfectly in cupboards, do things in multiples of three, couldn't get out of bed until a specific time (it had to be divisible by 3 down to the second), sing little ditties or say phrases inside my head in multiples of 3 (usually, 9, 27, 81, etc.), and I managed to label everything I own with one of those electric sticky label guns before leaving for college for the first time (okay, so I wasn't so young at that point) because, ya know, they needed to be labeled... This led to much hilarity when I got to college and my roommate (and best friend) got to tease me about it mercilessly...

Now I'm down to just doing and eating things in multiples of three when it's not overly inconvenient. If my impulses are really getting in the way I can force myself to ignore them without having a minor panic attack like I used to. I still occasionally fall into counting things if there's nothing going on to distract me.

I've never felt the need to get a proper diagnosis 'cus, like I said, I've learnt to control it enough that it doesn't get in the way (or maybe I just outgrew the worst of it). I suspect it's the latter as the things I have more actively programmed out (namely my vertigo) still give me the heebie jeebies, I just have ways to stop that disabling me nowadays. Walking across the (completely safe) third story bridges between buildings on campus still gives me gut deep fear, eating things in groups of four (four's always been my "bad number") doesn't. I just kinda wish there was a fifth one so I could get rid of the minor discomfort.

So, uh yeah. *commiserates on OCD annoyingness*
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:58:29 am by Kasmira » Logged

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: March 19, 2010, 07:52:00 am »

I do the Skittles thing too. Cheesy I refuse to believe that they are meant to be eaten all mixed up. Everyone else is just doing it wrong. Also with M&Ms. Or any sort of multicolored candy, really.

I sort my multicolored candy too.  And often eat them in groups of five, a holdover from the days when I was dieting and tried to eat just five rather than a whole bag (to give me a taste/treat without overdoing the empty calories).  And I'm pretty particular about my dishwasher as well; I've been known to rearrange the dirty dishes in it on the rare occasion that Hubby actually puts something in on his own (because he always puts it in the wrong place, especially silverware).  Which might explain why he doesn't tend to put his dishes in the dishwasher, come to think of it.  Grin

Oh, I know what else.  I always, always have to use the bathroom before embarking on a drive longer than about ten minutes, even if I've just gone.  Doesn't matter if my bladder's completely empty, I still have to try or I'll have to go halfway to my destination.  Also before lying down to sleep for the night.

That said, I'm not actually OCD about anything in the truest sense of the term.  I just have little personal quirks, stuff that I like to have done a particular way.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 19, 2010, 09:09:02 am »

Oh, I know what else.  I always, always have to use the bathroom before embarking on a drive longer than about ten minutes, even if I've just gone.  Doesn't matter if my bladder's completely empty, I still have to try or I'll have to go halfway to my destination.  Also before lying down to sleep for the night.

This! Started when we were kids, and Mom would run all of us through the bathroom before we went anywhere. My folks got tired of one of us, a mile down the road, saying we had to go to the bathroom. Wink It was then reinforced even more when I was pregnant, because as my ex-BIL says "Pregnant women are the pissy-est people in the world." He would have to plan trips in relation to bathrooms on the way when my SIL was preggers. Smiley

Another thing is books on my shelves. Now, I can have stacks on the floor in no random order, but once they hit the shelves they HAVE to be a certain way. Drove my kids and ex batty the last time we moved, or anytime we rearranged the furniture.

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 19, 2010, 09:34:12 am »

Another thing is books on my shelves. Now, I can have stacks on the floor in no random order, but once they hit the shelves they HAVE to be a certain way. Drove my kids and ex batty the last time we moved, or anytime we rearranged the furniture.

Oh yeah. This! My shelves must be neat and organized according to size and subject. Dog-eared books also drive me crazy (whether the pages are deliberately bent or have just been battered so much they got folded) to the extent that I twitch to pick up books of other people's desks and un-dog-ear them. I am also physically incapable of writing in a book. It means my books end up looking kind of like post-it porcupines with little strips of post it pointing out in all directions.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 19, 2010, 10:01:41 am »

Oh yeah. This! My shelves must be neat and organized according to size and subject. Dog-eared books also drive me crazy (whether the pages are deliberately bent or have just been battered so much they got folded) to the extent that I twitch to pick up books of other people's desks and un-dog-ear them. I am also physically incapable of writing in a book. It means my books end up looking kind of like post-it porcupines with little strips of post it pointing out in all directions.

LOL! Yep, I do the post it flags everywhere as well. Mainly because I want to be able to sell them back at the end of the term. Smiley

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 19, 2010, 10:43:00 am »

Oh yeah. This! My shelves must be neat and organized according to size and subject. Dog-eared books also drive me crazy (whether the pages are deliberately bent or have just been battered so much they got folded) to the extent that I twitch to pick up books of other people's desks and un-dog-ear them.

I spent about five hours one weekend rearranging my library when I bought new bookshelves. Now I have one case devoted to fiction and two to non-fiction, organized by genre [kind of a subjective thing] and alphabetically by author. But I've always chalked up the book-weirdness to just being a neat bibliophile and a librarian's daughter.  Wink

One OCD thing I do happens when I'm eating french fries. I always eat them from smallest to largest. Also, I used to eat my the food on my plate clockwise--one group of food first, then the next, then salad if I have it, and bread is always last.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 19, 2010, 11:31:04 am »

One that I use in work to good advantage (I'm an accountant) is that numbers have to be right - as in the correct math answer and such.  And the info in the books (which means computer nowadays) MUST be accurate.  Which makes me a nazi about any info I get from others to put in the books.  Grin

I count things - and see patterns - but it has never manifested in eating things by number or anything like that.  I tend to line things up in rows if I can see them.  And don't mix the silverware in the drawer into the wrong space in the divided holder!  And don't put underwear in the sock drawer!  Ahem.

AntlerandHerb.com
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #10: March 19, 2010, 11:44:01 am »

Does either you or your SO have a habit or quirk that is almost OCD and either drives you completely nuts or has you rolling on the floor laughing?

Probably my most OCD-like thing is my list-making.  It is hard for me to just get up and start doing household tasks.  I have to make a list, and there must be 10 items in the list.  If I discover that I have an 11th thing to do, I cannot put 11 things in the list.  I have to make a new list of 10, even if I really wasn't planning on doing 20 things that day.  Preferably, the items are completed in order, and each one must be crossed off as soon as it is completed.

This is actually a pared down routine from when I would come up with elaborate categories and subsections of each list.  I have actually spent so much time list-making that I never got around to getting much done.

Sperran
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 20, 2010, 06:05:36 am »

I sort my multicolored candy too.  And often eat them in groups of five, a holdover from the days when I was dieting and tried to eat just five rather than a whole bag (to give me a taste/treat without overdoing the empty calories).  And I'm pretty particular about my dishwasher as well; I've been known to rearrange the dirty dishes in it on the rare occasion that Hubby actually puts something in on his own (because he always puts it in the wrong place, especially silverware).  Which might explain why he doesn't tend to put his dishes in the dishwasher, come to think of it.  Grin

That said, I'm not actually OCD about anything in the truest sense of the term.  I just have little personal quirks, stuff that I like to have done a particular way.

I will admit, I am the same with the dishwasher thing too. It really annoys me if it is done wrong! It's really good to know that I am not alone with the Skittles though.

I also have to go to the bathoom before going on a journey, before I go to bed, and also as soon as I get up in a morning. It's the first thing that I do.

The first thing that my husband does everymorning, without fail, is to turn on his pc. It is like clockwork! Wink

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: March 20, 2010, 08:21:15 am »

I absolutely have to have the windows in my computer's taskbar in the right order.  It drives me CRAZY if stuff isn't in the right order.  I can't function.

It's totally stupid, but it MUST be all documents, then email, then web browser, then chats.  MUST be.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Cannaid
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2013, 09:32:37 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 22, 2010, 11:40:33 am »

I too have never been diagnosed by anyone other than my husband.   Grin

I must have every closet and cupboard door in the house closed before going to bed at night;
No picture on the wall can be crooked...ever;
My books must always be lined up smallest to tallest;
Run up and shut down of my car is done in a specific order..every time;
I count my steps everywhere;
The dishwasher must have the silverware inserted "handles down";
Kitchen sink must be cleaned before bed;
I twitch my leg muscles when passing telephone polls while driving (all of them);
The list goes on...and on....

I think that we all have these quirks and I personally am happy I have mine.  They keep things in order.... Wink  Right??

Kindness first and in all things...
Smoke
Master Member
Last Login:January 28, 2011, 04:34:58 pm

Religion: er.....can I get back to you on that?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 15, 2010, 07:01:02 pm »

I actually have OCD so I'll tell you mine.

I have to make sure all the windows are locked and the curtains show no light in my room, the curtains have to cover the entire window.

The closet doors have to be closed all the way and can't be partially opened. The door has to be open all the way.

I have to tie my shoes perfectly and I can't mess up. If I mess up I have to do it again.

I have to drink water in even sips and do everything in an even number of times.

They drive me completely mad. I guess they aren't as funny as your guys's. I hope they still count.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)