The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 09, 2020, 07:41:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 07:41:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding my own path...  (Read 3701 times)
Raine
Last Login:March 29, 2010, 05:36:28 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: unsure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 22, 2010, 10:26:02 am »

Hello all.

I have never really been comfortable with any religion that has been pressed upon me when I was a child. I started looking into 'paganism' roughly 10 years ago but got very confused with all the information out there as it all seems very complicated and contradictory. One piece of advice comes up again and again.. "choose your own path". But how? How do you know whether something you read on the internet is real or not? Where can I find simple, clear explanations for the many avenues of paganism that people practice? How does one find the right path?!

All I know is that I feel very spiritual and passionate about the earth itself and believe in the healing powers of nature... so far this fits with most of what I have read but after that, I'm totally lost. Some pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone would like to explain their own beliefs to me (which I'm aware isn't a popular practice amongst the many people I know who claim to be pagans due to a wide-spread 'no-preaching' policy) then maybe I can see if I identify with any of it?

Your thoughts please?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 22, 2010, 10:34:08 am »

Hello all.

I have never really been comfortable with any religion that has been pressed upon me when I was a child. I started looking into 'paganism' roughly 10 years ago but got very confused with all the information out there as it all seems very complicated and contradictory. One piece of advice comes up again and again.. "choose your own path". But how? How do you know whether something you read on the internet is real or not? Where can I find simple, clear explanations for the many avenues of paganism that people practice? How does one find the right path?!

All I know is that I feel very spiritual and passionate about the earth itself and believe in the healing powers of nature... so far this fits with most of what I have read but after that, I'm totally lost. Some pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone would like to explain their own beliefs to me (which I'm aware isn't a popular practice amongst the many people I know who claim to be pagans due to a wide-spread 'no-preaching' policy) then maybe I can see if I identify with any of it?

Your thoughts please?

One word: experimentation. You will never know if something is truly right for you unless you read up on it and experiment to see if it works for you.

I've tried solitary and group practice. Through that, I discovered I am solitary and that my thoughts and focus can easily be thrown off course when working with others.

I've tried looking into different types of paths for the solitary and took into account my love for herbs and everything they can do for us. I ended up with a Green Witchcraft book in my lap (courtesy of a friend who thought it was a good fit for me) and now identify as pagan with a focus of Green Witchcraft.

You just need to experiment with different paths and see which one feels "right" to you. You may end up combining a few different paths into one unique and your own.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 22, 2010, 11:22:03 am »

Hi, Raine.  Welcome to TC.

I'd like to point you to a couple of resources on this site that might help you get started.  Check out the Pagan Primer and the Teens and Paganism FAQ.  (Don't be put off by the "Teens" title -- there's a lot of great info on various paths, as well as lots of good links to more info.)

Once you've read through those, you'll probably have a better idea of what interests you and you can ask more specific questions.

I think it's also important to know that pretty much everyone goes through a period of confusion and searching when they first get interested in paganism.  However, you've come to a good place for information.  This forum has members from a wide variety of paths, which makes for a wealth of information.

It's also important to know that some of us prefer to become part of established traditions and some of us prefer to forge our own paths.  Neither way is right or wrong -- you have to figure out what works best for you by exploring the options that are open to you.

Anyway, these links will give you a good place to start learning about the various "branches" of paganism.  When you have specific questions, post them.  Smiley

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
HeartSong
Last Login:May 07, 2010, 11:02:02 am

Religion: Wiccan/Green/Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 22, 2010, 03:04:20 pm »

I've tried looking into different types of paths for the solitary and took into account my love for herbs and everything they can do for us. I ended up with a Green Witchcraft book in my lap (courtesy of a friend who thought it was a good fit for me) and now identify as pagan with a focus of Green Witchcraft.

Musinladi - Can you share the author of the book in your lap???  I'm always on the lookout for good Green Witchcraft books.  Still building my library.

And Raine, I can totally understand how you feel.  I've found my gut to be my best guide.  It usually tells me what feels right for my path.  It does take some "trying on" of things. 

HeartSong
Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 22, 2010, 09:52:24 pm »

Musinladi - Can you share the author of the book in your lap???  I'm always on the lookout for good Green Witchcraft books.  Still building my library.

And Raine, I can totally understand how you feel.  I've found my gut to be my best guide.  It usually tells me what feels right for my path.  It does take some "trying on" of things. 

HeartSong
That would be Ann Moura's book Grimoire for the Green Witch. It is really the only book I need, but being the book-nerd I am I have a stash of about 25 pagan related books.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
moonlion
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2010, 08:18:30 am
Portugal Portugal

Religion: Pagan

Share wisdom and beauty

Blog entries (0)

Moon Lion

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 25, 2010, 09:31:38 am »

I know how you feel because I felt exactly the same.

But as has been said before, read, try out and find your very own way. Find what you are confortably with. Find what you really believe in, deep inside yourself.

Then you will have find your path.

My very own advice to you: do not care too much about names of Path, unless you really feel 100% confortable with it.

"There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go." Richard Bach in: A Bridge Across Forever * Visit me at Genus Loci
Raine
Last Login:March 29, 2010, 05:36:28 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: unsure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 25, 2010, 02:55:53 pm »

Thank you all for your welcomes and kind advice.  Smiley
HeartSong
Last Login:May 07, 2010, 11:02:02 am

Religion: Wiccan/Green/Kitchen Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 16, 2010, 01:56:28 pm »

That would be Ann Moura's book Grimoire for the Green Witch. It is really the only book I need, but being the book-nerd I am I have a stash of about 25 pagan related books.

Thanks musinladi.  I have a few of hers but not that one.  I'll have to keep an eye on amazon.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)