The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 07:35:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 07:35:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Kink and Spirituality - Special Topic Discussion  (Read 26921 times)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 22, 2010, 04:19:41 pm »

A note in advance: I am only comfortable responding to this in semi-abstract terms at the moment.  Perhaps, if the conversation goes well, I will be able to discuss more thoroughly what it is that I do; right now I am intensely feeling a dearth of spaces safe enough to deal with intimate spiritual matters.

What role does various kink play in your religion?

I would distinguish between "religion" and "personal spiritual life", personally.  "Religion" strikes me as being a word about shared practice and community, and my personal sexual practices are not public.

That being said: one of my religions is an ecstatic tradition, and sacred sexuality is a common realm of focus.  To someone who is wired up kinkily, the pursuit and establishment of a healthy manifestation of that sexuality would be a matter of personal spiritual concern.

Is pain something sometimes to be courted, or always a bad thing? 

"Life is pain, highness.  Anyone who tells you different is selling something."

I share a perspective on this with a kinkster I know who is also a person with disabilities: pain is a part of being alive.  Yes, being a chronic pain sufferer sucks, but the idea of living without pain in general is pretty equated with living without a body to me.  I have a dense physical form!  You know those things are considered pretty ritzy in parts of the spirit world?  And a life without pain is a life without potential gain - because every gain carries with it the risk of painful loss.

In practical and not philosophical terms: pain is a warning sign on danger.  It can be useful data, specious nerve firings, an indication of progress towards a goal, or something that goes sideways into something else.  It can take many forms.  Its meaning is ... pretty variable really.

Back to philosophical babble: I think an excessive fear of pain is one of the failings of the culture I grew up in, and is probably linked with death-denial.  At times I feel surrounded by people whose greatest ambition appears to be to be comfortable and never have their comfort zones tweaked - by people who are different, by disability or want, by change - who have their nice mainstream nook and white picket fence and no further goals beyond the accumulation of wealth.  It's a bit of a straw man, but it's a straw man that really feels like a face of my country's id.  I think it is a good thing to be at least a little uncomfortable every so often - whether to shake me out of complacency, or inspire me to do something better, or remind me that there are people out there who aren't just like me.

(Pain is also hardly the be-all and end-all of BDSM or other kinked-sexuality practice.  There's plenty of kink, even hardcore kink, that doesn't involve it.)

Do your gods approve of things that aren't necessarily mainstream?  Why/why not?

This is the point where I sort of go, "... I hang with Set!" and start to giggle.  God of foreigners, outsiders, deviants, and perverts!  I wouldn't be surprised if Himself sort of disapproves of mainstream behaviours in general, just on principle.  (I know He disapproves of normality-for-the-sake-of-being-normal rather than as a manifestation of one's individual reality.)

If your gods are interested in things that are not mainstream, what sorts of things are they?  Why?  What do you/the gods/whatnot get out of this?

Set is, as far as I can tell, interested in anything He can get away with. ("Hey Heru, nice ass!")  His cosmic purpose is to push boundaries and stresstest things to the point of failure; if it crumples when pushed it's not good enough.

His mythology is heavy on the sex and strength; while there are no explicit mentions of erotic power per se in His myths (though culturally speaking "Hey Heru, nice ass!" had to do with top/bottom power dynamics and the social lens on homosexuality and gender roles) it is not something I consider a stretch.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.