The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2020, 07:56:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 07:56:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finding my path in this world  (Read 2252 times)
rikvah
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 25, 2010, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan (beginner)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 22, 2010, 05:00:21 pm »

Merry meet all,

Hi, i've been intrested in wicca for years, my beliefs, values and ideals come from the pagan religion. I've got a friend who is a priestess, has been for years. Recently my boyfriend started asking questions about the religion and i dont feel like i can answer them because its been a long time since i've practiced. I've been stressed out, busy in college and well life can really bring you down sometimes, which i know i should of stuck more to my religion but i've had to put my mind off most things in life just to stay sane lately. I was wondering, what kind of books (like good authors. good information books) are there out there for people beginning the religion. i dont want to give him wrong or misinformed information on the topic, and i would like to get more into my religion again as i shouldnt of put religion out of my life for so long.

Blessed Be
Rikvah

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 22, 2010, 07:05:29 pm »

Merry meet all,

Hi, i've been intrested in wicca for years, my beliefs, values and ideals come from the pagan religion. I've got a friend who is a priestess, has been for years. Recently my boyfriend started asking questions about the religion and i dont feel like i can answer them because its been a long time since i've practiced. I've been stressed out, busy in college and well life can really bring you down sometimes, which i know i should of stuck more to my religion but i've had to put my mind off most things in life just to stay sane lately. I was wondering, what kind of books (like good authors. good information books) are there out there for people beginning the religion. i dont want to give him wrong or misinformed information on the topic, and i would like to get more into my religion again as i shouldnt of put religion out of my life for so long.

It's hard to make suggestions without knowing what your boyfriend's asking. There are two ways these questions can go. One is that he wants to know what *you* believe, do, etc. And none of us can answer that for you - neither can a book. You might find that there's a book that represents your practices and beliefs well (or at least what you'd like those practices to be as you have more time) - but it's hard for anyone outside your head to suggest that.

The other is that he'd like general information - in which case there are good sources, but again, it depends on what you're interested in. Good sources for, say, initiatory traditional Wicca are going to be different than sources for Reclaiming-based practice are going to be different than Goddess worship. I'm guessing from what you've said here that you're probably more in the eclectic Wiccan-based category than anything else.

A couple of books you might want to check out and see how they suit would be Thea Sabine's _Wicca for Beginners_ or Jennifer Hunter's _21st Century Wicca_. But if oyu have a friend who's an active priestess, she might be an even better resource - many people who've been truly active as a priestess in any community setting for more than a couple of years are pretty comfortable talking with sincere people who are curious, and can tailor their answers to the questions someone actually has (something no book can do.)

When I do this, I'm often surprised by the questions, too - usually people ask some really deep and sophisticated questions about the nature of what I do that I wouldn't have started with, as well as asking some very basic things. (I'm gearing up for another round of these, as I'm going to go and talk to the comparative religions classes at the school I work at sometime in late April.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
rikvah
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 23, 2010, 10:02:14 am »

He wants to know what the religion is about, and what i believe.  i understand it is nearly impossible to give someone a book on what i believe but since he wanted to know other traditional aspects of the religion there must be books out there for that. I thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply. it means alot to me

blessed be
Rikvah
mandy1216
Journeyman
Last Login:February 15, 2011, 02:13:39 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 23, 2010, 11:34:59 am »

He wants to know what the religion is about, and what i believe.  i understand it is nearly impossible to give someone a book on what i believe but since he wanted to know other traditional aspects of the religion there must be books out there for that. I thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply. it means alot to me

blessed be
Rikvah

It might seem trite to many, but I have found Scott Cunningham's works to be very accessible, even to those just interested in the path.

Jim Halpert:     We didn't play many video games in Scranton. Instead we'd do stuff like.. uh, Pam and I would sometimes hum the same high pitched note and try to get Dwight to make an appointment with an ear doctor. And, uh, Pam called it... Pretendinitis.
rikvah
Senior Newbie
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 25, 2010, 03:55:14 pm »

It might seem trite to many, but I have found Scott Cunningham's works to be very accessible, even to those just interested in the path.

My boyfriend sent me an e-mail while he was at school telling me he had purchased some books online by scott cunningham for me and that they would be coming in the mail in a few days. they may be "for me" but i can see him reading them before i even get to *chuckles*
one thing, about me, that he doesnt seem to understand is why i'm so reserved when it comes to talking about paganism and wicca. I grew up in a dutch-english christian family, whom has never EVER agreed to my choice in religious path, i've heard, from my own grandparents before they passed away that i was a witch and should be burned. I understand that they only believe what they were raised to believe and do not hate them for it, but those experiences and experiences in my life have led me to not liking to openly talk about wicca. he gets upset with me when i tell him i dont want to talk about it, and that if he wants to see if wicca and paganism is the path for him, he should research it. i do not have all the answers to his questions, and it upsets me that he gets upset when i say i can not or will not give him answers to questions i dont feel i should. is there any way i can better explain to him all of this.. he knows about my past, the experiences in my life and the pain and trauma i've experienced (theres more than what i've written here of course, i just have a hard time talking about myself)
mandy1216
Journeyman
Last Login:February 15, 2011, 02:13:39 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 26, 2010, 04:28:55 pm »

is there any way i can better explain to him all of this.. he knows about my past, the experiences in my life and the pain and trauma i've experienced (theres more than what i've written here of course, i just have a hard time talking about myself)

Send him to this website http://wicca.timerift.net/

I think it's got enough info on many different aspects to keep him interested and educated about the path, the community, and why it's so personal.

This is another great general-pagan site http://www.witchvox.com/

I clam up sometimes too when talking to my husband. It's been a profoundly personal journey for me, and it's hard to articulate that sometimes.

Jim Halpert:     We didn't play many video games in Scranton. Instead we'd do stuff like.. uh, Pam and I would sometimes hum the same high pitched note and try to get Dwight to make an appointment with an ear doctor. And, uh, Pam called it... Pretendinitis.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)