The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 16, 2021, 04:08:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2021, 04:08:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Offering to Hekate  (Read 23424 times)
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 23, 2010, 04:09:47 am »

Just had an encounter with Hekate in a spirit journey where she helped me with something and I simply want to thank her for that.

I've not much of a clue about what she likes and doesn't. My first idea was to offer incense in the middle of a big crossroad. I've often walked around it at night and found the place had an interesting energy when it's not busy with cars like at day.

But then I've read somewhere chtonian deities don't like incense... I could offer honey, cake or fruits at some crossroad in the fields, but I don't want to discard my first idea before asking advice from people who've worked with Her.

So, what experience did you make with offerings to Her?

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 23, 2010, 10:37:08 am »

Just had an encounter with Hekate in a spirit journey where she helped me with something and I simply want to thank her for that.

I've not much of a clue about what she likes and doesn't. My first idea was to offer incense in the middle of a big crossroad. I've often walked around it at night and found the place had an interesting energy when it's not busy with cars like at day.

But then I've read somewhere chtonian deities don't like incense... I could offer honey, cake or fruits at some crossroad in the fields, but I don't want to discard my first idea before asking advice from people who've worked with Her.

Personally, my impressions of Hecate (or Hekate) is that something buried at a crossroads, whether it be a small cake or a little juice/wine poured at the crossroads, is appreciated. A little appreciation for whatever She helped you with spoken while you make the offering is also appreciated.

Generally, I light a candle for Her at home as I do not have a very private crossroad available near my home. I will put a small cup of juice at the base of the candle as an offering and She seems to be pleased with the simple offering.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 23, 2010, 03:48:10 pm »

Little cakes (everything from homemade to Hostess cupcakes) left at crossroads seem to be a big hit for us. I also do sometimes offer incense (usually myrrh) - Hekate having a portion of Land, Sky and Sea as well as being chthonic. Red wine for libations.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #3: March 23, 2010, 04:20:39 pm »

I used honey - the expensive one, gelee royale type - and rose buds or lavender and sometimes juniper berries.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
landunderwave
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 29, 2010, 04:07:17 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: neo-wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 23, 2010, 05:11:58 pm »

I had good experiences with boiled eggs and honey. ^^ She also likes poppy and red candles.

It's very important to leave the offerings without looking back. Looking back is considered disrespectful.
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 24, 2010, 01:11:55 pm »

I remember finding some ancient sources for incense offerings to chthonic deities when this came up before. I like Caroline's point about her having a portion of the land, sea, and sky as well. I've offered Her myrrh and saffron incense and She seemed to like it.

I've also offered Her bread with honey, bread in general, hibiscus and rose hip tea (bright red), yew branches that I found, dandelions, and lavender. I've also made Her devotional jewelry that I wear in Her honor.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 31, 2010, 06:58:33 am »

@all:

Thank you all! I ended up offering an egg because it seemed to fit to what I experienced in the spirit journey. Smiley

AnneNevill
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2018, 09:56:16 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 31, 2010, 10:57:26 pm »

I remember finding some ancient sources for incense offerings to chthonic deities when this came up before. I like Caroline's point about her having a portion of the land, sea, and sky as well. I've offered Her myrrh and saffron incense and She seemed to like it.

This is a general response ... but how do you know whether a god liked your offering or not? What kind of response do you get?
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 01, 2010, 04:29:26 am »

This is a general response ... but how do you know whether a god liked your offering or not? What kind of response do you get?
In my experience either you get the feeling they are satisfied or you get more specific hints on what they want.

Sky Samuelle
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2011, 09:19:47 am
Italy Italy

Religion: Polytheistic Solitary Witch, Hekate's devotee

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 06, 2010, 12:40:46 pm »

Boiled eggs, honey and black olives are among foods that seem to please her the most, in my experience.
Sometimes , i cook a meal in her honor- only foods symbolically linked to her, as eggs, fish, saffron rice- and I eat it in her honor.
I also burn myrrh incense to her shrine and lately every Dark Moon,i leave a bulb of garlic at crossroads- i like the idea of it growing roots and flourishing as a living testimony of my devotion.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another. ~ Anatole France
Darkmoondog
Journeyman
Last Login:August 03, 2011, 09:28:10 am

Religion: Green Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (2)

darkmoondog@darkmoondog

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 07, 2011, 12:32:58 pm »

In my experience either you get the feeling they are satisfied or you get more specific hints on what they want.

So, this past Dark Moon I held a ritual just for Hecate. No spell work or asking for anything other than her attendance to the circle I cast in her honor. After calling the Quarters and raising the cake and wine I sat in expectant silence for a time to see if she would like to communicate with me.

She said," Eat more eggs and hide your altar."
It was blunt and clear. This surprised me because I guess I thought she would be more emotional. I replied,"OK." ( I know, real profound and impressive of me.)

Well, I've been eating a couple of eggs a day. I like this. It makes me feel like it is more than just a diet thing, but a ceremonial thing too. She asked me to and I think of her when I eat them.

About the altar. That took me off guard. I admit I had strong feelings of resistance about this. The altar is visually and spiritually a very comforting and grounding influence in my home. I did it though.

I understand now why she requested it. We are going to be remodeling the bathrooms soon and having a sacred space for just anybody to look at would be...crude. No lady wants to have strangers tramping through her private boudoir. I get it.

Last year I gave Hecate special cakes made with honey and wine at a crossroads.

Green Witch- I worship the ground you walk on.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 07, 2011, 08:42:09 pm »

But then I've read somewhere chtonian deities don't like incense...

Actually, Hekate isn't limited to the chthonic realm (although perhaps it's where she most likely is). Both Hesiod and the Orphic hymns name her as having "portion" of all three realms (Earth, Sea, and Sky). So if you're offering it in general, I don't see the problem. Now, I suppose if you were giving it to her specifically in Her chthonic role.. *shrug*. Personally, I view the burning of things (or the evaporation of things) as going into the Otherworld, regardless of whether its Above or Below. So perhaps you could go down the middle and burn incense, as well as burying food for her in the earth?

Good luck.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
BromiosLiber
Last Login:May 31, 2011, 07:17:12 pm

Religion: Hellinistic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Dustin Jarrett Leland

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 29, 2011, 12:05:53 pm »

I have been offering her milk with wood sorrel and a few drops of blood from my finger.  It has gone over EXTREMELY well.  It also works very well for the nymphs. 
darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 01, 2011, 05:08:05 pm »

red wine, biscuits and olive oil has been popular.

I'm debating offering a pig's ear from my dog's treats

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 01, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »

I have been offering her milk with wood sorrel and a few drops of blood from my finger.  It has gone over EXTREMELY well.  It also works very well for the nymphs. 

How do you acquire the blood? Just a pinprick? (I've always wondered how blood offerings worked. Even if I were inclined to give them, I get so squeamish around needles and pointy objects I'd end up fainting before anything happened.)

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)