The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 01, 2021, 05:04:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2021, 05:04:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Honoring multiple gods  (Read 6346 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 23, 2010, 12:32:23 pm »

If you are polytheist and honor more than one god, do you have a set "schedule" for honoring specific ones? (For instance, Frigg on Fridays, Apollo on the second day of every month, Diana at te full moon, etc - those are just random suggestions. There's no religious connection between Apollo and the 2nd day. LOL) Are there some that you honor only once or twice annually (Brighid only at Imbolc, perhaps) and others you honor daily?

Do you worship one god (or a couple, or a few) gods in a specific, individual way, and the rest of that pantheon in a more general sense, as a group?

ETA I don't mean that a single person would necessarily honor Frigg, Apollo, and Diana. Those were just random suggestions as well. Smiley

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 23, 2010, 12:39:27 pm »

If you are polytheist and honor more than one god, do you have a set "schedule" for honoring specific ones? Are there some that you honor only once or twice annually (Brighid only at Imbolc, perhaps) and others you honor daily?

Do you worship one god (or a couple, or a few) gods in a specific, individual way, and the rest of that pantheon in a more general sense, as a group?

I work with three gods (most often). And really, there is no schedule for it. When I get a nudge to work with the particular deity is when I work with/for them. I really don't have a schedule, rhyme or reason to when or why I do things a certain way. I can say that certain activities are associated with certain gods. Whenever I bake, it's for Aset. Doesn't matter when I'm baking, how often, etc. It's.for.her. (according to her lol).

And that goes with Setekh and Anpu as well. If there is a task they want me to perform for them, I do so, but there is no real scheduling to what I do, or when I do it. I try to honor the gods as a whole at least once a month, though that doesn't always happen. And once again, isn't on a particular schedule.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 23, 2010, 02:09:54 pm »

Also -- how many altars do you have? Separate altars for different deities? A single one that is used for multiple deities/ancestors/etc?

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 23, 2010, 02:30:01 pm »

If you are polytheist and honor more than one god, do you have a set "schedule" for honoring specific ones? (For instance, Frigg on Fridays, Apollo on the second day of every month, Diana at te full moon, etc - those are just random suggestions. There's no religious connection between Apollo and the 2nd day. LOL) Are there some that you honor only once or twice annually (Brighid only at Imbolc, perhaps) and others you honor daily?

ETA I don't mean that a single person would necessarily honor Frigg, Apollo, and Diana. Those were just random suggestions as well. Smiley

I keep Hecate in my mind daily. She is my "guide" in a since and the deity I turn to when I need advice most often.

However, while caring for my house (i.e. chores, decorating, etc.) I may light a candle or two for Hestia and ask that She guide me to make my home the best it can be.

When caring for my (few) plants, I turn to Demeter (who was an easy connection to make with my already strong connection to Hecate) to help guide me and aide my plants in their growth.

Also -- how many altars do you have? Separate altars for different deities? A single one that is used for multiple deities/ancestors/etc?
I currently do not have an altar for any of the deities I work with. This is mainly because I live with someone who would not be too open about such a display. However, I have always found it more... comfortable to light a candle, perhaps lay an offering at the base of the holder, then go about my task that I am asking for aide with.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: March 23, 2010, 02:34:33 pm »

There's no religious connection between Apollo and the 2nd day. LOL

Nah, it's the seventh.

...Seriously.

Well, the seventh of the lunar month.  (Which happens to be today, coincidentally, if you're counting.)  I'm still figuring this bit out in terms of my own personal calendar, but as Hellenic stuff goes, certain days of the (lunar) month were traditionally associated with offerings and libations to certain deities (sometimes more than one on the same day).  Then you also had annual festivals that would honor one or more deities.  The most frequently-cited web resource I've seen for this is the Hellenic Month Established Per Athens (HMEPA) calendar.  (There were/are other calendars for other areas of Greece, but my understanding is that the one from Athens is the one we've got the most surviving info on.)

I have in the past tried to do things on a weekly basis, but as I look at my calendar I'm starting to reevaluate why I feel the need to do that.  I suspect I'll wind up with a monthly cycle that resembles, but is not identical to, HMEPA.  I don't have specifics nailed down yet, though.

That's for the formal stuff.  I have little less-formal daily stuff I do too, just a quick "hi there, good morning" sort of prayer to Hestia and then to the Gods at large, and even littler stuff I do for Apollo (the only deity with whom I have a close relationship).  And of course I'll honor other deities on an irregular basis as appropriate situations come up in their spheres of influence.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: March 23, 2010, 02:38:14 pm »

I have two permanent shrines, one for Hestia (just a candle and a libation dish on the kitchen counter) and one in a corner of my bedroom for Apollo (more the usual table-with-candles-and-offering-dish-and-stuff thing).  Anything else I need I'll set up as it's needed, and remove when it's not.

Sorry, three; I have a little desk-shrine for Apollo too.  Smiley  (LED candle on my desk, and above it some related-but-not-overt images pinned to my cube wall.)  I meant to expand this to more of the Gods, but haven't quite come up with specifics there yet either.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 23, 2010, 02:55:39 pm »

If you are polytheist and honor more than one god, do you have a set "schedule" for honoring specific ones?

Yes, I do. At the beginning of the year I wanted to dedicate more time to my Many, and I decided to make a cycling schedule based off of a Cill cycle. It's a regular check-in, but it's not necessarily formal or planned out; just promised time. I've gone through a few variations on the idea (in fact I revised it today) so that I have some down time, but I also don't have too much down time, if that makes sense.

Right now it's a cycle of 39 days; one day each for my Many, plus one for each of my three pantheons; one day for each of my spirits and my dead; and the rest days spaced evenly throughout.

Are there some that you honor only once or twice annually (Brighid only at Imbolc, perhaps) and others you honor daily?

Right now I don't have any other deity-specific holidays, but I expect that eventually I will; there are a number of gods from my three pantheons that I feel drawn to and want to make offerings to, but I don't want or expect anything more than a casual relationship with. I try to honor my Many daily in small ways, but the bigger, more intense/intentional focus is done on their days in the cycle.

As I mentioned, I do have a day set aside for each of my three pantheons, to honor them in general, as well as specifically those deities I mentioned before that I don't have a very close relationship with.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 23, 2010, 03:18:33 pm »

Right now I have a single shrine to Brighid, as part of my year long commitment to keep her flame. I have a few other shrines and an altar planned and items set aside for them, but until I finish the cleaning/purging of my room it's on hold. I intend to have a large shrine for my Many, and then a second for my Spirits and my Dead, but I'm not sure how it'll all work out when I actually get everything set up.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 23, 2010, 04:00:53 pm »

I have a set schedule for the gods of the Wicca, corresponding to the 8 sabbats, and full and new moons. Each of these occasions has a specific set of rituals and practices, and on these occasions we involve only the God and Goddess of our tradition.

I also got twapped, in a certain sense, while working in India, and brought home with me more than just several icons of Hindu gods. So while Nutraj, Saraswati and Hanuman statues sit happily on the bookshelf in my living room; Kali and Ganesha insisted on their own place (different places, by the way) and their own practices. I l jokingly say it is not unlike being followed home by a stray cat......it seems the act of opening the door and inviting them in is enough to have them cop a squat on the mantle.

In all honesty, Kali and I have had a weird relationship for years, left over from my days practicing shamanic work (long story). But Ganesha I met in Maharashstra, India, and is the patron God of that province. He now has His own little corner, with a place for milk and an incense stick. Learning to properly honour gods that are very foreign was a fascinating exercise. They are not with me at all times as my trad gods are, but they do make periodic appearances, especially when I am being generous with the candles and incense. (They both really like Nag Champa)

My garden is home to at least one local spirit/diva/sprite/whatever. It is illusive, but likes tobacco smoke. Incense will drive it away for weeks. It is not so much that we have a relationship at all.... I know it's there, I know what it likes, and it seems to be very at home in the wild corner of the yard. I purchase a small pouch of pipe tobacco each spring, and burn a few leaves on the full and new moon on a charcoal burner in the back yard. It feels similar to keeping the bird feeder full...........

Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 23, 2010, 04:12:38 pm »

I have two altars. One is a 'mass' altar that has two of my gods, and my s.o.'s deities on it. And Setekh gets his own space. Why? Because he wanted it that way. If another deity said "I want my own shrine" I'd give it to them as well.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Fálachus, Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 23, 2010, 04:17:35 pm »

I do not have a schedule, other than specific deities who associated with holidays. I have my two patrons (Ogma and Donn), Brigid (as hearth fire) and a local river goddess who are the main focus of my interactions with specific deities, though mostly I address the three in most of my daily rituals. I tend to be more function focused, so to speak. For example I recently went on a trip, and composed a praise poem for Lugh as well as giving specific offerings upon departing, while on the road, upon arrival, and inversely, then deposited the original offering in an appropriate location. Though other than on Lá Lunasa, it is rare that I give offerings specifically to Lugh, rather than in general. Function and patronage, as I've mentioned in other threads, forms the basis of my interactions with the deities.

I do have a small personal altar where I do the majority of my prayers, which has my "hearth", and some statuary, tokens of the three realms, and a bowl for offerings. I also have a separate shrine for my ancestors, and a small area outside my house to leave offerings to the fair folk.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

Have a gander at my blog: Three Shouts on a Hilltop
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: March 23, 2010, 09:06:27 pm »

If you are polytheist and honor more than one god, do you have a set "schedule" for honoring specific ones?
It's somewhere between "not really" and "it's complicated".  My Cill shift is the most regular/scheduled devotion; while it's primarily Brigid's, she's made it clear that tending to my other deity-relationships as well, while not precisely "doing her Work", is appropriate.  For years now, each of the cross-quarters/fire festivals has been a time for me to honor particular deities (mostly, but not exclusively, ones from some or another Celtic culture), all of whom are part of my personal pantheon (often as a development from the cross-quarter honoring - enough years of seeing folks once a year can make a strong bond and perhaps lead to more frequent interaction).

Other than that, it's mostly "suitable times" rather than on a set schedule - as an obvious example, and one that's applied recently, if I'm travelling, Hermes comes in for some extra attention.

I'm not really all that good at, or suited to, devotions on a schedule; part of me is interested in adding a bit more regularity, but I know it won't work well for me unless I really feel a connection between the scheduled timing and the devotion, so it's very much a work in progress.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 27, 2010, 04:52:26 pm »

This February and March I've been experimenting with a monthly devotional calendar. I have at least one day a month for each of the Beings I honor. It's more of a casual "check-in" like Juni mentioned (we've talked back and forth about this a bit) than something really formal. I may be modifying the format a bit soon - I'm not sure. Because of how it's designed, sometimes other holidays, anniversaries, and such can overlap with days for my personal pantheon. Sometimes this is a neat juxtaposition, sometimes it means I feel like I'm not honoring anyone "properly".

I also honor the gods of Neos Alexandria (a Greco-Egyptian-Roman pantheon) theoretically once a week as part of a weekly ritual. This doesn't include all the gods of all the pantheons I honor members of, but it covers some of them.

There are some deities I honor once a year on holidays - one good example is Sekhmet, who I honor in connection with a Thelemic ritual called the Feast of the Lion-Serpent.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 27, 2010, 04:53:49 pm »

I have an single central altar and multiple separate shrines for many of Those I honor. I keep stuff for Nuit/the Star Goddess on my main altar.

Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 28, 2010, 12:01:27 pm »

I try to worship the major gods on a monthly basis, although I don't always. Nowadays I just try to honour the lunar gods I follow at the proper points of the cycle, like Artemis during the waxing moon and Hekate during the dark moon. On the full moon I either honour Selene or Mari, and I'd honour Aphrodite or Hathor on the fourth day of the moon or several times throughout the month.

Male gods I honour regularly on more of a yearly basis. Adonis in the spring and summer, especially at the summer solstice, and Dionysos in the winter, especially at the winter solstice. Dian Y Glas in the spring-summer, Twr in summer-fall, and Arddhu in fall-winter. These aren't the only gods I honour, but I associate times of the year with these deities. I honour other gods more on an intuitive basis, lighting a candle and burning incense for them whenever I need their influences, and same with the gods I already mentioned.

I have two altars and two shrines. A main Witch shrine, with a Star Goddess candle, an image of the Blue God (Dian Y Glas), a pentacle incense burner, small cauldron, and a salt dish, and a Hellenic altar with a candle for Hestia and an incense holder. I also have a shrine for Aphrodite, and another shrine for Egyptian gods, mainly Hathor.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:05:00 pm by Arion » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)