The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 04, 2021, 09:12:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2021, 09:12:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Honoring multiple gods  (Read 6657 times)
Shefytbast
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 30, 2011, 07:48:20 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 28, 2010, 07:05:38 pm »

Bast I honor daily, in formal rite and in numerous small informal ways. On Sundays, I do a round of offerings for other Gods that I follow--Nut, Amun-Ra, the Seven Arrows of Bast, the God of the Year (currently Djehuty)--and also for my ancestors. I also salute Khonsu-Heru whenever the moon catches my eye, but I try to do so more formally on the new and full moons. And there are other Gods that I occasionally honor on Their festival days, or whenever it seems like a good time to converse.

For Bast, I have a formal naos shrine, a set-up/take-down Senut shrine, and two small shrines of different focus (plus a large statue of Her has currently taken over what used to be my non-specific spirituality altar). Oh, and there's also a little shrine for Her on my desk at work. Nut, Amun-Ra, and the God of the Year have their own shrine spaces, as do the ancestors, and then I also have a cabinet top for assorted Gods. Plus I set up temporary festival shrines when necessary.

I would say that the Kemetic pantheon is probably too large and multiply constituted to worship the whole thing in general. I seem to be tilting toward focusing on Names worshipped at per-Bast, along with some scattered others (mainly Wepwawet and Set, and possibly also Satet).

-L

I have not taken time away from the day,
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
                               --Megegi of Thebes

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 28, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »

Are there some that you honor only once or twice annually (Brighid only at Imbolc, perhaps) and others you honor daily?

Do you worship one god (or a couple, or a few) gods in a specific, individual way, and the rest of that pantheon in a more general sense, as a group?

I worship Aset in Her shrine daily (both the personal and Naos/Senut shrine) and I give Her extra offerings on her festival days.  I worship Wepwawet and Nebet Het about once a day or every few days in their shrines; I also worship Sekhmet in Her shrine too. 

I honor other Kemetic deities on their festival days if I have a personal relationship with them or if there is a temple event honoring them. 

I honor Oya on Wednesdays at Her shrine, Oshun on Thursdays since Friday is taken by Frigga (and Skadhi) and I just began honoring Yemoja (Yemaya) on Saturdays. 

I also honor Brigantia and I don't know yet what her day will be. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 01, 2010, 10:28:23 pm »

If you are polytheist and honor more than one god, do you have a set "schedule" for honoring specific ones?

Ha.  After skipping this thread for almost a week, I read it the day I finished listing my personal cycle.

I don't do much religiously.  You might say I'm a Hellenic version of the Christmas/Easter Christians.  For a few years now, I've been offering water daily to the Theoi in general, but not singling any of them out. (I single out Ma'at and Ganesh, though)  Recently I've been feeling the intelectual need to expand my practice. (Intelectual to distinguish it from the Mandated by the Gods feeling)  At the moment all it will consist of is daubing water from the General Theoi's offering onto a card representation of the Theoi in question.

I put together a list of 24 Theoi that I wanted to establish offerings to.  I admit it's rather arbitrary, but I'm ok with that, and none of Them have said otherwise.  It's currently mapped onto the modern calendar, with spacer days not singled out for anyone in particular.  Given how I'm marking the days (cards, not a calendar as originally my plan) I may cut that to the lunar cycle, but I'm not sure.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)