The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2019, 10:54:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 10:54:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Adulthood, Independence, and Ceremony  (Read 5257 times)
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 28, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

High school graduation maybe.  College graduation for some people; by the time I got to it, myself, it felt anticlimactic and just...  blah.

Same here, though I saw it as an unfortunate effect of the public education system working it's anticlimatic blahness on the whole concept of being a "young adult."

To answer the original question, I thought that going to college in another state would be my rite of passage. In a way, it was, but not into becoming an independent adult. It was a rite of passage into becoming more fully self-aware. Which, I guess you can argue is what being an adult is all about.

I'm currently living with my parents again, after graduating college, and I still don't feel like an adult. I do my own taxes, bought my own car, but I'm still on my parents' health insurance, still eat their groceries, and owe them money for that car. *shrug*

However, I am going on an adventure soon, which is quickly becoming a great opportunity to mark another rite of passage: perhaps not into full "adulthood", whatever that means, but into my self-directed life. Which, again, you can argue what being an adult is all about.  Smiley

I think my family will want me to feel like an "adult", and expect me to be an adult, in the cultural sense of the word, when I have my own health insurance, and pay my own rent. Or if I get married.

But frankly, none of these marks of adulthood are really that meaningful to me, because "adulthood" in the cultural sense of the word is not meaningful to me at all. Being able to pay for my own needs is important, yes, but the trappings of responsibility and all the baggage of expectations and obligations of being an adult are pretty distasteful to me, for the most part, in that they are thrust onto you without your consent. I don't think that really warrants the shift in consciousness that I think a rite requires.

I'd like to feel more like a "fully-actualized me" than an adult, and so far, my own feelings of rites have been toward that end instead. When I am an adult, I hope it will be on my own terms, and not on everyone else's.

/strangely rebellious feelings  Tongue

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)