The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 30, 2020, 09:03:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 09:03:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Musings about Brighid and Healing, Poetry, & Smithcraft  (Read 2015 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: March 28, 2010, 08:09:00 pm »

I've been thinking lately about the three areas traditionally associated with Brighid: healing, poetry, and smithcraft.

To me, each of those areas is much larger than the single word descriptor.  That is, "healing" is much more than physical healing.  It incorporates mental, emotional, cultural, and other kinds of healing, too.  "Poetry" is a stand-in for the larger concepts of wisdom, knowledge, learning, teaching, communication, artistry, and related ideas.  And "smithcraft" is about creativity in all it's forms, not just metal work.  So that would include all kinds of arts and craft work; building, repairing, and maintaining all sorts of physical structures; and more esoteric ideas like crafting solutions and forging alliances within a political, social, or cultural context.  To me, it even includes fertility in all its many facets.

And there is a great deal of overlap among all those things.  Each of them involves aspects of art, f'ex.

I'm wondering how others view these areas.

What do they mean to you?  What does it mean to you that Brighid is so closely associated with them?  Is it important to you to have some contact or involvement with any or all of these areas as part of your work with/for Brighid?  If so, how do you express each of them in your life?  Do you consider any one of them to be more important than the others?  Does any one area somehow incorporate the others (i.e., are two of them subsets of one)?

Finally, if you think in symbols, like I do, what symbolizes each area for you?  Do you associate any objects, designs, colors, sounds, etc. with healing, poetry, and/or smithcraft?  If you wanted to get a tattoo that symbolized the three areas, what would it look like?   Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #1: March 28, 2010, 08:30:08 pm »

What do they mean to you?

To me, each of the three areas has water and fire elements, and I agree that they're more than they appear at the surface.

Healing to me incorporates both the act of healing (be it physical or emotional or whatever), which is the water side, and maintaining that health, the spark of life, which is the fire side. For me poetry is creativity in all its forms- she is the keeper of the well of wisdom as well as the fire in the head. And smithcraft is transformation, ourselves and the world around us, which I think any Brighid devotee can attest to- she is the fire the forge that initiates that change, and the quenching waters that help solidify it.

What does it mean to you that Brighid is so closely associated with them?

I'm not sure what you're asking here- to me it's like asking "what does it mean that Athene is associated with wisdom and battle?" It's simply her nature. She heals, she creates, she transforms.

Is it important to you to have some contact or involvement with any or all of these areas as part of your work with/for Brighid?  If so, how do you express each of them in your life?

Yes, although the degree of that involvement in my work varies. Healing, f'ex, is not a large part because I'm really really bad at it- but I do use my shifts as time to recharge and maintain myself. As a writer, creativity is inherent in my life- I'd be lost without it. Transformation is an ongoing thing- I think for progress you'd have to ask her, not me. Cheesy

Do you consider any one of them to be more important than the others?  Does any one area somehow incorporate the others (i.e., are two of them subsets of one)?

No, I think they're all of equal importance and value. I think they're connected aspects, but not subsets of each other.

Finally, if you think in symbols, like I do, what symbolizes each area for you?  Do you associate any objects, designs, colors, sounds, etc. with healing, poetry, and/or smithcraft?  If you wanted to get a tattoo that symbolized the three areas, what would it look like?   Cheesy

I'm not really a big symbol person, actually, outside of my own personal symbolism. And I'm not even going to give the tattoo idea a second thought, because if I do come up with something then I'll want it! Cheesy

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)