The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2021, 12:50:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2021, 12:50:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding the Dangers of Astral Projection (Out-Of-Body-Experiences, OOBE)  (Read 3442 times)
boilingpot1
Permanently Banned
Last Login:April 15, 2010, 12:52:04 pm
United States United States

Religion: chirtiochain

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 29, 2010, 03:09:40 am »

Since we astral project unconsciously every night, astral projection must be a safe and normal activity. However, certain books and articles speak about the possibility of meeting negative entities and demons or having your Silver Cord cut. What is your take on this matter? I have successfully astral projected once, but it hardly lasted a minute. Will I meet any dangers while astral travelling? I will be glad to know what you think about this.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: March 29, 2010, 07:42:33 am »

Since we astral project unconsciously every night, astral projection must be a safe and normal activity.

I...  don't know a whole lot about astral projection (which may explain why I'm confused about this assertation that we do it every night Huh ), but I'd generally caution against assuming that anything we do automatically all the time must obviously be safe and normal under all circumstances.  We breathe unconsciously all the time, for example, and most of the time that's fine--as long as we're breathing the right stuff.  Try to breathe liquid, or corrosive fumes, and you'll find that breathing can be very dangerous indeed.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: March 29, 2010, 08:05:46 am »

Since we astral project unconsciously every night, astral projection must be a safe and normal activity.

This is more speculation than fact, unless you define astral projection and dreaming to be one and the same thing. Some do. Most don't.

However, certain books and articles speak about the possibility of meeting negative entities and demons or having your Silver Cord cut.

You chances of meeting nasties are probably quite low -- unless you go looking for them. Just like on the physical plane. Cutting the silver cord is one of those things that could happen but that probably never has.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #3: March 29, 2010, 09:09:01 am »

I...  don't know a whole lot about astral projection (which may explain why I'm confused about this assertation that we do it every night Huh )

The idea that something like this happens is actually a very old one.  According to Jewish tradition, the soul leaves the body every night.  That's why Modeh Ani (one of the morning prayers) is thanking God for returning your soul to your body.

Sperran
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: March 29, 2010, 09:34:48 am »

The idea that something like this happens is actually a very old one.  According to Jewish tradition, the soul leaves the body every night.  That's why Modeh Ani (one of the morning prayers) is thanking God for returning your soul to your body.

Oh.  Huh.  Thanks for the info--I had no idea (obviously).

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #5: March 29, 2010, 10:01:10 am »

Oh.  Huh.  Thanks for the info--I had no idea (obviously).

What?  You mean you aren't familiar with Biblical Hebrew?   Wink
Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 29, 2010, 10:27:43 am »

Since we astral project unconsciously every night, astral projection must be a safe and normal activity. However, certain books and articles speak about the possibility of meeting negative entities and demons or having your Silver Cord cut. What is your take on this matter? I have successfully astral projected once, but it hardly lasted a minute. Will I meet any dangers while astral travelling? I will be glad to know what you think about this.
I'm not overly familiar with astral projection and the few times I accomplished it were accidental or just to an astral "shrine" I've built to meet with the deities I work with.

I do not feel that I am going to run into any nasties in my astral projections to my "shrine" as this is a sacred place to me that is, in a sense, set apart from everything. Unless invited into this shrine, nasties can't get in.

Now the accidental astral projections where quick and just within the neighborhood I had been living at the time. Yes, I could have run into nasties, but the likelihood of that, in my opinion, was equal to the likelihood I would have run into nasties had my body been there as well.

I've never really thought about the "cutting of the cord" concept, but thinking over the idea I could see where if you had an extreme and confusing experience during your projection and you did not have that cord to find your way back you may not be able to return. However, I've never run into this in my experiences as I am usually aiming for my astral shrine which I can easily find my way back from.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 29, 2010, 12:01:26 pm »

I'm also in the camp that thinks that astral projection and dreaming are two different things - for a variety of reasons.
- The amount of control we have over the process (not just what happens, but the duration and when we return)
- The small internal physical triggers: we know that sleep affects a number of things in our bodies - core temperature, blood pressure, all sorts of other body processes - that aren't automatically true when we do astral projection.
- The actual goal or desired outcome - we don't dream with a goal, generally.
- Repeatability of experience: many people return to the same spaces (an astral temple or other 'personal' space) time and time again. While dreams sometimes return to the same location, it's very much not the same deliberate process in my experience.

(I do think our souls can travel during sleep - just that it's a different process with different outcomes/benefits/reasons.)

In terms of the possible risks:

- Difficulty returning is perhaps the most likely one: we may find ourselves trapped in the emotional intensity of an experience, or something similar. This is in my experience (not so much my own, but in working with students) the most common problem but also fairly easily solved: it doesn't even require someone who is good at astral projection themselves - just someone who can help the person come back (by calling their name, stroking their hand) if needed or if there's obvious distress, and to help make sure they're back to themselves fully after they return.

- Running into nasties is possible, but much less likely, and there are ways to make it a lot less so - for example, establishing a safe home base that you begin from and return to does a lot to help. Building allies in astral work can also - one of the benefits of working in a tradition that has this, for example, is that I didn't have to build all those relationships myself: I started with the tradition's workings, and then spread out from there.

- Risks of something cutting the silver cord are relatively slim. Possible, of course - but I think you've actively got to be going and doing relatively risky things, poking around in places you don't have the right to be, etc. to really run into trouble here. I mostly treat my astral work like I would physical exploration: some spaces are spaces I have control over in some form (my astral 'home' spaces), some are public property (I might run into something nasty, but chances are low, because lots of people keep an eye out on it), but if I go poking around someone's private space, I might get run off or worse, just like I could in the physical world. There's plenty to keep me busy that doesn't involve invasion of privacy.

-

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
shc
Last Login:April 09, 2010, 03:52:10 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 03, 2010, 02:48:44 am »

I have never successfully astrally projected myself so I can't say much with any authority, but I believe that if we do astrally project ourselves unconsciously while asleep then it is with our Unconscious selves in the "driver's seat" so to speak with our Conscious self taking the back seat. A sort of reversal of our waking selves if you will.

I would imagine the danger of doing it consciosly would be that while your Unconscious self knows the "lay of the land" in this realm and knows what areas/entities to avoid, our Conscious selves do not and as such we run the risk of making blunders, much the same as a tourist travelling alone in a foriegn country.

In regards to the risk of the silver cord being broken. I have read that when attempting to astral travel you should make precautions to ensure your physical form can not be disturbed, because if someone tries to rouse you (ie, shake you awake) or something jolts you like a loud sound (ie telephone, fire alarm) or a knock to your body, it could cause a massive tug on your cord trying to 'fling' you back into your body caused by an autotomatic reflex to snap awake when there is possible danger to your body. Sometimes, particularly if you are pretty far away this tug can cause the cord to snap like a piece of thread or rope pulled too tight. Without your Conscious self your body (perhaps? I cant confirm) will start to die and you may only have a limited amount of time to return to your body before it eventually dies. I have also heard that while the cord is broken you of some astral entity beating you to your body taking advantage of this opportunity by pulling its Conscious self into your body and taking your place, and leaving you without a body.

But of course this is just my speculation.
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 15, 2010, 07:59:23 pm »

I've had a couple non-planned OBEs while sleeping. Didn't like it, woke up screaming. I seem to lucid dream a lot these days, at least when I dream about my mother.

My first apartment without roommates has some odd energies flowing through it. I don't know what it was, but I'd often just get this icky "something bad is here with me" feeling at night. If I didn't do a quick banishing before bed, I'd have terrible nightmares. I also often cast a circle around the apartment before I'd go to bed if I felt really unsettled.

Is my experience typical? Probably not. I've never had that feeling anywhere else I've lived, which includes the house I grew up in, three dorm rooms in two different dorms, three other apartments (two in the same complex) and the house I live in now.

My advice? If you're unsure of the process, study more. Find someone knowledgeable about astral projection who can guide you along and pull you back if you run into trouble until you're confident in your abilities.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)