The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 13, 2019, 08:59:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2019, 08:59:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pray for calmer waters...  (Read 1702 times)
Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am
United States United States

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 29, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »

My SO and I both work mall security. I've been with this particular mall since June '09, he just started in February of this year. We were both hired into a "leg up" position, kind of a try out for a full time, belt trained position. (belt training is extensive and this mall's particular training has a strong reputation among private security nationwide) I've applied for this training once before, a couple months ago, and was passed over in favor of stronger applicants from outside the department.

Last week, six positions for this belt training opened up, and nineteen of us "baby officers" applied and interviewed with our captain. Both my SO and I were offered positions in the training class. In all, they actually ended up making seven offers, not six, but that's still twelve people who were disappointed. The day after finding out who was accepted for training, my SO and I expected a little animosity, but were floored, and ultimately hurt, by what actually met us.

My SO's older brother is a full-time belt trained officer there, and he's held in very high regard. My SO is being accused of not actually deserving a spot but only getting it because of his brother. His brother had no way to interfere with this in particular, as he's gone for five months for officer training or something in the army. Honestly, I can't deny that being related to his brother was an influence, but my SO has more than proven himself to be a great officer with lots of potential himself. He's very much deserving of this position.

Now for me...there are a couple of nasty rumors going around, and I'm not sure what exactly they're accusing me of, but all of them involve me illegitimately securing a spot in belt training. I have no idea how I could have done this. My captain, when she told me I was being offered a position, said she was impressed by my interview, impressed by my volunteer work and my degree and other training, and that she could really see me going places. Almost word for word. I earned this, and it's absolutely eating at me that my coworkers, people I'd considered friends, would think I didn't earn it and had to be sneaky. What's worse, some of the things they're accusing me of I know for a fact is being done by a few officers who didn't get the position, and I know this because I witnessed it simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time and walking away very quickly and pretending I didn't see/hear anything. It's a mess. Also, another officer who was given a belt training spot told my SO that I better watch my back, because "bad shit is going down pretty fast," and reportedly one of the rejected officers wants to "beat me up."  Huh

When I first got hired by the mall, my SO's brother cornered me in our house and told me, "No redlining anyone. Ever." I have a pretty good idea what "redlining" is, kind of pieced together from what I know of the industry. You rat no one out because you need to cover their backs and they need to cover yours. I have difficulty living with this myself, having witnessed plenty I would have reported at another job, but I understand the need for it and abide by it. However, officers "redlining" were responsible for our lieutenant getting fired. And since this whole belt training thing started, "redlining" has turned into flat-out tattling. Makes me really glad I don't do anything for others to tattle on, but if the rumors are evidence of anything, it shows my coworkers are very able to make up blatant lies and sell them.

It's really taking the joy and pride out of earning such a coveted position away, especially since I was turned down once before and worked hard to step up my performance. And I'm horrified at how quickly a bunch of adults can turn into childish whiners. I understand how they feel, being passed over, because I was passed over, but I took it constructively and improved and learned, and then got what I wanted through the sheer hard work and proving myself. Many of my coworkers are arguing with the captain's decisions, though, and whining, to the point where we were reprimanded as a whole by the Major. I can count five who I know are quitting, and I've heard there are at least eight who will.

Belt training is difficult. It's physically taxing. My SO and I are working on our endurance, and I've started strength training as well. Most of the tests require 100% accuracy to pass. There's enough stress surrounding this opportunity, I don't need the added stress from my coworkers. I walk into the bathroom and girls are talking about me, and they keep talking about me as if I'm not there when they very well know I am. I'm receiving the cold shoulder from people I'd considered friends. I already did my time in junior high and I thought I was done with this sort of BS.

On the other hand, some unexpected people have come up to stand in my defense, as my SO's defense, which offers some comfort. It's heartwarming to know some people do think my SO and I deserve the positions we were offered.

Anyway...I guess I'm just asking for some prayers for calmer waters ahead. We're trying to give it time to blow over, but the acid is strong, and it's harmful. We have a potluck this weekend, a kind of team building thing, and I'm no longer looking forward to it.

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 29, 2010, 04:28:34 pm »

My SO and I both work mall security.

(((Seroci and SO))) For calm and understand...

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 29, 2010, 05:12:48 pm »

((Seroci)) May the rumor mill grind to a halt.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 29, 2010, 08:06:37 pm »

Anyway...I guess I'm just asking for some prayers for calmer waters ahead. We're trying to give it time to blow over, but the acid is strong, and it's harmful. We have a potluck this weekend, a kind of team building thing, and I'm no longer looking forward to it.

I hope things calm down soon. I really sucks when dults behave like children.
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 29, 2010, 10:20:52 pm »

You and you're SO are in my prayers. Best wishes for everything!

Fyi, you're more merciful than I. I'd have given the other co-workers crap back. If anyone did make any threats, I'd carry a tape recorder, and whatever else that may help me try to get the jerk fired, or at least try to get a restraining order against them before anything happens.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 30, 2010, 03:36:33 am »

You and you're SO are in my prayers. Best wishes for everything!

Fyi, you're more merciful than I. I'd have given the other co-workers crap back. If anyone did make any threats, I'd carry a tape recorder, and whatever else that may help me try to get the jerk fired, or at least try to get a restraining order against them before anything happens.

I'm with you on this-I am an absolute bitch when it comes for defending me and mine.

Best of luck, strength and energy are on there way to you Seroci.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)