The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 21, 2021, 12:37:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2021, 12:37:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What's the Point?  (Read 3915 times)
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am
United States United States

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 30, 2010, 03:39:35 pm »

I was talking to a friend a while back and the conversation drifted to believing in spiritual beings such as gods and goddesses, angels etc.  I, wanting to play devil's advocate, asked what's the point to believing in spiritual  beings?

I made the argument that if I were sick a doctor is far more likely to cure me than a deity, so why should I bother with deities who, more than likely wouldn't cure me?

So I guess the ultimate question would be, why bother with deities, or any form of spirit?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: March 30, 2010, 03:49:57 pm »

So I guess the ultimate question would be, why bother with deities, or any form of spirit?

Why bother with art, music, books?
Can you live without dancing, singing, painting, reading?

Yes, of course, at least you go on existing.

The soul needs 'food' like the body does.
A human can go by bread and water only, but it is not living, it's surviving on the lowest primal level.

As soon as our basic needs are met, other needs come into focus and spirituality can be one of them.
Needs and their ranking depend on the person of course.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 30, 2010, 04:00:44 pm »

what's the point to believing in spiritual  beings?

I see two fundamentally different questions here: why believe, and why worship.

I don't think belief necessitates a reason; I don't believe in the gods for a reason, I just do.

As for why worship- personally, I feel compelled to. I feel good when I honor them regularly, appropriately. To go off your example, if I were ill, I would still see a doctor, but I would pray to Brighid to heal me, to guide the doctor to the right diagnosis/treatment, etcetera. I don't see physical action and religious action as being mutually exclusive; I can do both.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 30, 2010, 07:05:35 pm »

I was talking to a friend a while back and the conversation drifted to believing in spiritual beings such as gods and goddesses, angels etc.  I, wanting to play devil's advocate, asked what's the point to believing in spiritual  beings?

I made the argument that if I were sick a doctor is far more likely to cure me than a deity, so why should I bother with deities who, more than likely wouldn't cure me?

That's a very thought-provoking question. For me, I suppose it brings purpose to my otherwise boring life. I'm sure there are deeper reasons for why I believe and/or worship, but currently this is the only one I can come up with.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: March 30, 2010, 09:13:41 pm »

I don't see belief as something that has a point.  The question doesn't make sense to me.  Belief is not something I can choose to do or not do; thus, it neither has nor requires a point.  It just is.  There might be a reason to it, in the sense of "these are the factors that have convinced me that the Gods exist", but not in the sense of having some sort of point.

Beyond that, I'll simply refer to Juni's post, as I think she's expressed my thoughts on the question itself pretty well.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 30, 2010, 10:08:58 pm »

Why bother with friends or family?  It's the same type of question to me.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 31, 2010, 11:23:58 am »

Why bother with friends or family?  It's the same type of question to me.

Yeah, what he said.

If I'm sick I go to a doctor. If I need legal advice, a lawyer. If I want to feed my soul, I spend time with things that do that...friends, family, my gods, music, tai chi......

Having a relationship with the gods is not about "what can they do for me?" . I wonder, do you feel the same way about other relationships in your life; based on what you get out of it?

Spectacular Views
Journeyman

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 31, 2010, 09:48:07 pm »

Yeah, what he said.

If I'm sick I go to a doctor. If I need legal advice, a lawyer. If I want to feed my soul, I spend time with things that do that...friends, family, my gods, music, tai chi......

Having a relationship with the gods is not about "what can they do for me?" . I wonder, do you feel the same way about other relationships in your life; based on what you get out of it?

Well, as I said, I was just playing Devil's advocate and no I don't have the attitude of what can you do for me.  I think I should have phrased the question  a little differently.  What I was really getting at was the things we do in the physical seem to have a much more profound affect on us, for example, the doctor is a surer bet than a spiritual being. 

As you said, I would imagine the one thing the physical world has a hard time of doing is "feeding the soul" so maybe that's the answer.

Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 01, 2010, 07:23:01 am »

How do you know that the deities in question wouldn't cure you?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: April 01, 2010, 07:29:02 am »

How do you know that the deities in question wouldn't cure you?

Agreed, which reminds me to add:  Or that they aren't guiding the hands of those humans who would, or the research that led to the cure being discovered, or etc. etc. etc.  I'd suggest that human involvement in solving a problem (medical or otherwise) doesn't exclude divine involvement in some way.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 01, 2010, 10:54:48 am »

Well, as I said, I was just playing Devil's advocate and no I don't have the attitude of what can you do for me.  I think I should have phrased the question  a little differently.  What I was really getting at was the things we do in the physical seem to have a much more profound affect on us, for example, the doctor is a surer bet than a spiritual being. 

As you said, I would imagine the one thing the physical world has a hard time of doing is "feeding the soul" so maybe that's the answer.

Ah, I missed the Devil's advocate reference.  I am not unused to the voices of skeptics around me, but I am also a little sensitive to certain comments.

Unlike Scientology and some other more ....... exclusionary.....belief systems, most people of faith have a balanced life, incorporating religious belief with their everyday life. So, we go to the doctor AND light a candle. In my experience, those who seek contact with deity draw comfort from them in times of need.

It is entirely possible too, that the physical world seems so much more profound because that is where your focus and energy is.

Spectacular Views
Journeyman

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 01, 2010, 02:42:39 pm »

Ah, I missed the Devil's advocate reference.  I am not unused to the voices of skeptics around me, but I am also a little sensitive to certain comments.

Unlike Scientology and some other more ....... exclusionary.....belief systems, most people of faith have a balanced life, incorporating religious belief with their everyday life. So, we go to the doctor AND light a candle. In my experience, those who seek contact with deity draw comfort from them in times of need.

It is entirely possible too, that the physical world seems so much more profound because that is where your focus and energy is.

I wasn't intending to sound skeptical just was wondering why.  I've  had a few raised eyebrows when talking about spiritual subjects as well Smiley

You bring up a good point though regarding balance.  I was raised in a environment where if you did get sick, went to the doctor and got better, it was still God that got the credit.  Which I think brings up a larger balance issue, I've known so many people that are so focused on their religion they do nothing else.

Now as for me I've been pretty stagnant spiritually, wrapped up in the immediate physical.  I'm working on a balance though.
AnneNevill
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2018, 09:56:16 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 16, 2010, 04:45:07 pm »

I am at this time agnostic, and have been agnostic or atheist for years. I periodically feel attracted to paganism, however. I think it means that I sense something missing within myself at certain points in my life, or something which needs attention or development or nourishment. Spirituality can feed the soul in a world where we feel disconnected.
Akyana
Apprentice
Last Login:June 01, 2013, 04:56:27 am
Czech Republic Czech Republic

Religion: buddhist, Aghori, mystical christianity

Be Blessed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 17, 2010, 03:58:03 pm »

what's the point to believing in spiritual  beings?

But..maybe..they would cure the cause of your ilness?

If you heal the physical body, there still can be left hidden illness in the emotional body and even higher.
If you start with ph. body you get some result,
but, could be, that because the cure was only symptomatic,
dis-ease will show itself somewhere else and maybe even stronger later on.

It you start with the highest as possible part of your aura,
the part that can be healed only by divine spiritual beings,
you can get rid of the cause and get rid of all of the symptoms at once.

But, naturally, cooperating with the doctor and supporting your body is a good idea at that time.
Horizons Calling
Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2012, 05:48:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 18, 2010, 04:29:18 am »

The same reason I bother writing and spending time with my mom. I wouldn't physically die if I stopped writing and spending time with people I love, but I'd rather die, because these are fundamental things that give my life meaning.

And the part about the doctor is very funny to me, because I rejected most forms of modern medicine years ago (for mostly non-religious reasons). If I were sick, I would ask the Goddesses and Gods to either heal me or guide me to the cure. If Hecate absolutely commanded me to go to a doctor I might consider it, but she'd have to threaten me pretty good.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)