The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2022, 10:41:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2022, 10:41:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Snakes, snakes, snakes....  (Read 13831 times)
Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 01, 2010, 08:21:31 am »

Sorry, I should have been more specific there (put it down to sleep deprivation for the last 72 hours). I meant the part about a guardian of the dead acting on behalf of the living.
Hekate is known as a guide, guiding souls to the underworld. Because of this, she has been known as a guardian of the dead.

However, another job she had (though much lesser known and I can not remember the source in which I read it) was to guide souls to be born.

I, personally, see no reason Hekate should not have helped Demeter and Persephone. Hekate realized that if Persephone was not returned to her mother, that Demeter would cause the eventual death of mortals due to never allowing plants to grow. This is how the seasons are explained. Fall/Winter is when Persephone is with Hades and Demeter is upset without her daughter. Spring/Summer is when Persephone returns to Demeter and Demeter is once again happy and causes the plants to grow.

the witch formerly known as musinladi

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 01, 2010, 09:41:37 am »

This is how the seasons are explained. Fall/Winter is when Persephone is with Hades and Demeter is upset without her daughter. Spring/Summer is when Persephone returns to Demeter and Demeter is once again happy and causes the plants to grow.

Only in certain temperate climates  Wink   In Greece, the barren time is the harsh, hot bakey dry summer. They didn't even like to fight then; was an ancient saying about the seasons, 'summer, autumn and war'.
Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 01, 2010, 10:25:53 am »

Only in certain temperate climates  Wink   In Greece, the barren time is the harsh, hot bakey dry summer. They didn't even like to fight then; was an ancient saying about the seasons, 'summer, autumn and war'.
Good point! Mental note has been made.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
TisiphoneSeraph
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:27:49 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch
TCN ID: TisiphoneSeraph

Dreams speak the truth we dare not seek

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 01, 2010, 06:30:00 pm »

If it's worth anything this was my first thought:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erichthonius_of_Athens

Though it sounds as if you feel the sender is feminine.

ETA: He was born of earth in most myths, so there's that connection though he isn't she.
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 01, 2011, 11:15:40 am »

..So I'm a bit uneasy about business with Hekate or snakes. I'm a bit afraid they act on behalf of my ancestors to get me back where I just escaped from.

Hekate is most associated with imagery of snakes in the story of Medea.  When Jason calls her (Hekate) forth after his offering she rises from the ground and is enveloped by snakes.  It's about the only time i've ever really heard of snakes in that capacity.

Yet one also has to recognize the usage of snake imagery in medicine and posions.  Through the Medea story one finds a great connection to poisons and other magical herb usages through Hekate's teachings.  I believe it is in this usage that one finds the snake as one of the symbols she is seen holding.  The snake is also part of the notion of illusion as its true form is ever being shed to be replaced by a copy that is also an original.

On the other hand I know snakes are a symbol of renewal and if that's not fitting now I wouldn't know what else fits.

Sometimes it's seen in the renewal light but other times it's seen in its ability to shed one life pathway and embrace a new one that it shall grow into.  Yet it is forever the possessor of the knowledge that that to shall be shed when the time comes or the need arrises.  So in that capacity it knows the old must be shed in order for the new to come to pass, sort of the idea over, done with and gone.

And the return of Persephone business associated with Hekate is also a very good fit. But it's kind of absurd, you know? Why should someone who's considered kind of a guardian of the dead act on behalf of the living who are captured by them?

That is another facet that has many possibilities about it.  Hekate not only helped Persephone return but was also one of two beings that heard her being taken.  She symbolically guided her from the darkness and despair back into the light, a connection she is associated to as the shinning one or illuminated one.  Even the usage or symbology of her twin torches may be seen in the light of lighting the path before one yet shinning a light upon the pathway behind one as they move forward.  To know where one has come from, to know where they are at in the moment and to show them the way forward in an uncertain world.

But that may also be reflective of her tri association as a goddess over Heaven, earth and water.  Perhaps even to her earlier association to fertility and fecundity of the land and herds when she was mainly seen as a single headed goddess in Lagina.
Sky Samuelle
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2011, 09:19:47 am
Italy Italy

Religion: Polytheistic Solitary Witch, Hekate's devotee

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 03, 2011, 02:52:44 am »

Hekate is known as a guide, guiding souls to the underworld. Because of this, she has been known as a guardian of the dead.

However, another job she had (though much lesser known and I can not remember the source in which I read it) was to guide souls to be born.

I, personally, see no reason Hekate should not have helped Demeter and Persephone. Hekate realized that if Persephone was not returned to her mother, that Demeter would cause the eventual death of mortals due to never allowing plants to grow. This is how the seasons are explained. Fall/Winter is when Persephone is with Hades and Demeter is upset without her daughter. Spring/Summer is when Persephone returns to Demeter and Demeter is once again happy and causes the plants to grow.

i've read the part of Hekate being the guide to souls' new incarnation in Hekate Soteira by Sarah Iles Jhonson.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another. ~ Anatole France
WhiteSong
Apprentice
Last Login:July 16, 2011, 12:23:12 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 21, 2011, 01:30:31 pm »

Hekate is most associated with imagery of snakes in the story of Medea.  When Jason calls her (Hekate) forth after his offering she rises from the ground and is enveloped by snakes.  It's about the only time i've ever really heard of snakes in that capacity.

Yet one also has to recognize the usage of snake imagery in medicine and posions.  Through the Medea story one finds a great connection to poisons and other magical herb usages through Hekate's teachings.

I agree--I totally thought of Medea when I heard this. Medea was probably able to bring back the dead through a ritual--most famously she pretends to be able to renew youth but it is just a trick to kill her patient--but there are suggestions that she actually could bring the dead back to life.
 This has to remind us of Asclepius who was also associated with snakes and who could also bring back the dead.  I think this suggests that snakes were connected to Hecate because of her associations with poison and medicine.

Edit: Personally, I have dreamed of snakes since I was very young, and recently I also dreamed of a woman who was forging across some frozen terrain with several dogs. She had a face that was like a skull (or seemed dead). She wore an animal skin over her shoulders. So I have been trying to learn about the similar things that you are questioning in your thread.  I also started to investigate the Aztec deities associated with snakes.
I am especially interested in Cihuacoatl or "Snake Woman", who is sometimes depicted as having the face of a skull. But I have to admit, the human sacrifice that Aztecs participated in makes me nervous.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:44:02 pm by WhiteSong » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)