The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 26, 2022, 01:28:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 26, 2022, 01:28:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Eclecticism~ strictly for pagans?  (Read 5815 times)
HK00
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 08, 2007, 12:02:05 pm
United States United States

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 24, 2007, 11:36:15 pm »

Not that I'm one to be confused by big words, but I was describing my beliefs to somebody the other day and she replied, "Well if that's what you believe then you are Eclectic." I tilted my head a bit on that  Huh . I've considered myself agnostic for over a decade, yet I believe wisdom can be gained from all religions. Just when it comes to a question of the supernatural, that can neither be proven or disproven. So I went home, did some research, found there is a large Eclectic movement prodominately amoung pagans. This really suprised me, because I'm usually pushing Atheism, and, not to generalize, but pagan beliefs and atheist, at least by literal defination, is juxtaposed, as seen by the latter believing in no gods and the former many. So how can I be both? I am, at least philosophically, eclectic, though religiously I am agnostic. Therefore, using myself as an example, either Eclecticism is something all religions can find a home in or I'm in some sort of crossroads I have yet to understand.

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." ~The Dalai Lama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 25, 2007, 01:28:12 am »

Therefore, using myself as an example, either Eclecticism is something all religions can find a home in or I'm in some sort of crossroads I have yet to understand.

Why can't Eclecticism be something that all religions, or lack thereof, can find a home in? Why does it only have to be "for the Pagans"?

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
HK00
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 25, 2007, 02:18:27 am »

Why can't Eclecticism be something that all religions, or lack thereof, can find a home in? Why does it only have to be "for the Pagans"?

Well that's the way i feel about it too, its just Eclecticism seems to be a Pagan movement, I mean just check out any search on the net with the words "eclectic" and "religion", the vast majority mention "Pagan" in either the site name, url, or description.

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: May 25, 2007, 02:29:43 am »

Well that's the way i feel about it too, its just Eclecticism seems to be a Pagan movement, I mean just check out any search on the net with the words "eclectic" and "religion", the vast majority mention "Pagan" in either the site name, url, or description.

Perhaps because many Pagans ARE eclectic? I don't know.

What I DO know is why march to the beat of everybody else's drum when you can march to the beat of your own?  It probably sounds better anyway because you control the sounds, tempos and rhythm of it.  Wink Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #4: May 25, 2007, 02:37:58 am »

This really suprised me, because I'm usually pushing Atheism, and, not to generalize, but pagan beliefs and atheist, at least by literal defination, is juxtaposed, as seen by the latter believing in no gods and the former many.

There are actually many Pagan agnostics, and not a few Pagan atheists.  I think there's even a thread on it somewhere around here, but I'm not sure what board it's on.  Not all pagan paths are polytheistic; some view gods as archetypes and don't believe in deity qua deity.  Some have a deep spirituality that doesn't happen to include gods.  Some call themselves pagan because they believe in the paranormal, or magic, or certain philosophies that cause them to self-identify that way.

Humanity is eclectic.  Some segments have raised it to a high art, is all.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: May 25, 2007, 08:55:24 am »

I think there's even a thread on it somewhere around here, but I'm not sure what board it's on. 

This one, maybe?:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=84.0

(It's in one of the Full Member folders, so Regular Members will not be able to post replies.  But everyone should be able to see it.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 25, 2007, 09:01:26 am »

Not that I'm one to be confused by big words, but I was describing my beliefs to somebody the other day and she replied, "Well if that's what you believe then you are Eclectic." I tilted my head a bit on that  Huh . I've considered myself agnostic for over a decade, yet I believe wisdom can be gained from all religions. Just when it comes to a question of the supernatural, that can neither be proven or disproven. So I went home, did some research, found there is a large Eclectic movement prodominately amoung pagans. This really suprised me, because I'm usually pushing Atheism, and, not to generalize, but pagan beliefs and atheist, at least by literal defination, is juxtaposed, as seen by the latter believing in no gods and the former many. So how can I be both? I am, at least philosophically, eclectic, though religiously I am agnostic. Therefore, using myself as an example, either Eclecticism is something all religions can find a home in or I'm in some sort of crossroads I have yet to understand.

I personally don't think that it's a pagan thing, it's just that pagans seem to be a little more *aware* of the word, and the fact that they can apply it to themselves. I think there are a hell of a lot more
non-pagan eclectics out there than we think, they just haven't thought to apply that word to themselves.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: May 25, 2007, 02:14:30 pm »

This one, maybe?:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=84.0

(It's in one of the Full Member folders, so Regular Members will not be able to post replies.  But everyone should be able to see it.)

That's the one.  Thanks Star.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
lol
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2007, 01:48:38 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: eclectic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 25, 2007, 02:52:31 pm »

I agree I suspect with those who say as Pagans we tend to be more aware of the concept of being eclectic, there are some any of us who cannot define ourselves any other way, it doesn't mean you have to be a pagan if you are eclectic.It merely means that you derive your ideas/belief/style etc from awide variety of sources.

Reality is a delusion created by the lack of alcohol
lol
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2007, 01:48:38 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: eclectic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 25, 2007, 02:54:29 pm »

There are actually many Pagan agnostics, and not a few Pagan atheists.  I think there's even a thread on it somewhere around here, but I'm not sure what board it's on.  Not all pagan paths are polytheistic; some view gods as archetypes and don't believe in deity qua deity.  Some have a deep spirituality that doesn't happen to include gods.  Some call themselves pagan because they believe in the paranormal, or magic, or certain philosophies that cause them to self-identify that way.

Humanity is eclectic.  Some segments have raised it to a high art, is all.

Absent

I have huge problems getting my head around the theological concept of being a pagan atheist  Undecided No one has so far managed to explain that one I will check the thread posted later see if someone does there.
lol

Reality is a delusion created by the lack of alcohol
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 25, 2007, 04:18:31 pm »

I have huge problems getting my head around the theological concept of being a pagan atheist  Undecided No one has so far managed to explain that one I will check the thread posted later see if someone does there.

What's the problem?  There's nothing about being paganism that requires belief in gods.  Individual pagan religions, sure, but paganism in general?  Nope.

HK00
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 25, 2007, 05:00:59 pm »

What I DO know is why march to the beat of everybody else's drum when you can march to the beat of your own?  It probably sounds better anyway because you control the sounds, tempos and rhythm of it.

No problem. I'm used to being a religious minority  Grin Seriously though, I have yet to meet an agnostic that with the same beliefs. Its not a very dogmatic religion, which I suspect is true of Paganism as well.

I personally don't think that it's a pagan thing, it's just that pagans seem to be a little more *aware* of the word, and the fact that they can apply it to themselves. I think there are a hell of a lot more
non-pagan eclectics out there than we think, they just haven't thought to apply that word to themselves.

Then I will be one of the first. There really isn't any other way to describe my beliefs accurately other than an Eclectic Agnostic. In ignorance admitedly, I was under the impression that being Eclectic in reference to religion was the Pagan equivelant to a Christian denomination, like Wiccan for example.

V
Journeyman
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 01:10:38 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 25, 2007, 05:06:27 pm »

My husband calls himself agnostic.  He shuns all religion because, by nature, he hates "joining" anything.  He only believes what he has "direct experience" with.  He does, however, believe in:

-the healing power of herbs, most alternative healing techniques, and the mind/body link.

-the collective conscious.  He says he's experienced info "dumping" through.  He says he has experienced a focus and fuller understanding of a situation when he's in it, but it fades quickly.  He acknowledges that it happens though.

Now, there are some other very new-age-type thoughts that he also embraces, but I won't bore you with a long list.  But I ask you:  isn't he an "agnostic eclectic?" 

I consider myself to be an eclectic wiccan, but I don't automatically buy the notion that "The Gods created Us."  It's only recently, since I started reading and thinking about the Hermetic Principle: The Mind is All: The Universe is Mental, that I've really begun to believe in a substantial reality underneath & in back of the reality that we know.  I'm still not betting the farm on it, but I'm starting to believe it. 

And believing in a substantial reality is a far cry from believing that we were created by Gods or by a God.  There are so many different levels of belief that almost anyone who embraces a belief in science could be called "eclectic" by someone.

If you stand with one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow, you'll piss all over today.
HK00
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 25, 2007, 05:21:13 pm »

My husband calls himself agnostic.  He shuns all religion because, by nature, he hates "joining" anything.  He only believes what he has "direct experience" with.  He does, however, believe in:

-the healing power of herbs, most alternative healing techniques, and the mind/body link.

-the collective conscious.  He says he's experienced info "dumping" through.  He says he has experienced a focus and fuller understanding of a situation when he's in it, but it fades quickly.  He acknowledges that it happens though.

Now, there are some other very new-age-type thoughts that he also embraces, but I won't bore you with a long list.  But I ask you:  isn't he an "agnostic eclectic?" 

Agnostic yes. His attitude about organized religion and skepiticm in general is shared by many of us. Eclectic, if you believe so. But personally I believe in being an active eclectic you need to look at all religious beliefs, not just a few, which is one of the reasons I'm on this site, I want to learn more about Paganism, to broaden my horizens and find truth where I see it.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: May 25, 2007, 06:12:37 pm »

I've met a good number of Pagan atheists over the years. They don't believe that Gods actually exist -- at least not as Gods. They may believe they are human thought constructs created by the believe of a large number of people or that they are just names people give to parts of their own mind, etc.

Whatever the specific belief, in practice it generally works out to mean that while they do not believe deities exist, they believe that acting as if they do can produce useful results.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)